Star Wars Battlefront Gameplay Trailer Stomps Over Hoth

Update: Now with a co-op trailer too!

I don’t trust most people’s opinions on Star Wars-y things. They’re weakened by nostalgia, too keen to remember the time when they were young and beautiful and free. But you can trust me. I barely saw Star Wars as a kid and hold little affection for it. When I say “Gosh-o! Star Wars Battlefront [official site] looks pretty swanky all right!” it’s because I want to drive a giant robocow through the snow, blowing up little spacemen.

EA showed off some multiplayer action during their E3 show, and it is quite exciting. Come see:

You might say that it’s staged, and you’d be right. The trailer’s made of gameplay footage (captured on a PlayStation 4, curiously), but clearly arranged so grand battles go the hero gets to do heroic things without dying then edited to show the highlights of even that.

All the same: that’s some pretty cool stuff, isn’t it? The cow lumbering into view is great. Sure, a tank in Battlefield may be intimidating, but it doesn’t tower 22.5 metres above the battlefield. Getting to play as Johnny Blackhat or his kid looks pretty fun too. Now if they can show some proper gameplay – you’re being spawn-camped, half your team is AFK, someone keeps screaming over voice chat – and it still looks that flash, that’d be something.

The game’s due on November 17th, 19th, or 20th depending on which ocean you sit behind. Naughty naughty, EA.

And here’s that new co-op trailer, which arrived a few hours later:

1. dangermouse76 says:

I don’t know why they call it Hoth, they should call it “Coldth”.

Leaves…….

2. PopeRatzo says:

I love console shooters where you just sort of point your gun in the general direction of something and you hit it.

• jrodman says:

Speaking as someone who is crap at games, I do love it!

Also, can you actually play as the cow? Because that would interest me.

• Villephox says:

From what I’ve heard, no, you can’t.

• Timbrelaine says:

Where have you heard it? You could control them in both previous games, and to my eyes the trailer portrays a player-controlled AT-AT too- note the heads-up display when it switches to the AT-AT’s perspective.

• ulix says:

From what I understood the AT-ATs move on rails. There’s nothing in this video that suggests differently, it’s even a Rush-style game-mode, where AT-ATs moving on rails actually makes a lot of sense.

3. P.Funk says:

Nice MG42 you’ve got there.

• Stargazer86 says:

Yeeah, I noticed the similarity as well.

• P.Funk says:

Its no similarity. Its no doubt a movie prop that was made for the film out of an old MG42 and the game developers have dutifully recreated it here.

You can also spot the repurposed machine gun in James Cameron’s Aliens.

• Hellraiserzlo says:

Yeah also laser MP44 without a magazine.

4. ZPG Lazarus says:

So XCOM 2, Fallout 4, and the new Battlefront are all coming out in the same month?!

My body is ready but my checking account isn’t.

• MacTheGeek says:

I could possibly see myself buying XCOM2 at launch, especially if the modding tools are up to par.

SWB is likely to have premium-tiered pricing, DLC map packs, and all the rest of EA’s revenue-maximizing features. No thanks; I’d rather wait a few months and pick it up on sale.

And no matter how much I love Bethesda’s games, their refusal to deeply discount DLC – even during long-tail sales years after release – has taught me that the only correct way to purchase one of their games is in a GOTY-style pack with all the DLC included. Fallout 4 looks like a Summer 2017 purchase for me.

• fish99 says:

Well, you could buy the base game at launch, and then get the GOTY when it’s down to ….. £15 or £10 or whatever it’s worth to you. Bethesda DLCs are usually pretty good though.

5. xcession says:

It looks great, lets just hope it has some depth. The previous two Battlefronts, while not made by DICE, had all the same components as this appears to but somehow failed to make anything besides than a completely unstructured and quite banal, sprawling firefight.

• P.Funk says:

They managed to stage a lot of combat and I saw not a whole lot of depth there. If there were depth wouldn’t they have shown some of it?

I’m not holding my breath for depth in a Star Wars FPS game. With that IP on board they’re definitely going for wide appeal and nothing says wide appeal like “you can hit your enemies even if you can’t aim properly”.

• Asurmen says:

Define depth.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I would guess that it depends on how they implement the multiplayer. What people can do, what objectives there are, and whether you’re forced to do them in a certain order or not. Things like that.

If it’s like an arcade fps with unlocks and pickups, where player freedom is restricted from, say, making flanking maneuvers or taking objectives further away then.. well, I’d say it would lack a certain depth in gameplay. Of course either way it might still be enjoyable.

6. ribby says:

Oh come on… This does not look like the big battles you got in Battlefront… Real disappointed

7. EhexT says:

Man, having RotJ Luke on Hoth was really jarring. That bit of pedantry aside, it looks great. Except for one thing:
    The infantry guns look like they’re hitscan. Come ON, Dice. You were one of the few devs who didn’t succumb to that lazy way of handling guns in a shooter and now you’ve gone and screwed it up in a game where the defining feature of infantry battle is literally the fact that shots move comparatively slowly?

• Holderist says:

Hitscan is because they turned on the Stormtrooper handicap for the PS4 trailer.

8. Kenseu says:

It’s actually an MG-34 link to imfdb.org

• P.Funk says:

Good catch. Obviously from the top its not nearly as easy to differentiate the two.

9. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

How many players is it again? Seemed to be an awful lot of people running about. Are they doing that malarky titanfall did with NPCs padding the numbers?

Also, has any game ever managed to do a realistic portrayal of mark hamill’s face?

• Jerppa says:

Wing Commander 3 and 4?

• Sephirex says:

Nah, you never see more than 40 players.

They have about 2-3 battles going. As they shift the focus to each battles, they moved the players over so that battle looks packed, but if you pay attention to the other battles in the background, they have less players than when you saw them before.

10. Nouser says:

Hoth looks like the movie. The AT-ATs are functional and are taken down exactly how they are supposed to be taken down. There are jedis with actual jedi powers. The interface looks super clean yet enough informative. The scale is anything but massive, but crap, this looks much better than I had expected.

11. cylentstorm says:

Whiny quibbles aside, I know that I can’t be the only one who had a nerdgasm. Yes, this was one of those scripted trailers that DICE and EA are known for, but c’mon–it’s fucking STAR WARS. The only way that this can go wrong is if it turns out to be more Call of Dookiefield than BF4 has become. Even then–I’d still give it a go. Seriously–did you HEAR that beautiful music? No–not John Williams–I’m talking about the blasters and screeching TIE fighters, man.

• P.Funk says:

” but c’mon–it’s fucking STAR WARS.”

Thats what I told myself when I gleefully bought Beta access to SWTOR. How wrong I was.

• mashkeyboardgetusername says:

The TIE fighter scream is such a cracking sound effect.

• jrodman says:

BRRRING BRRRRRING

HELLO?

HELLO??? THIS IS POD. POD RACER.

IS ANYONE THERE?

• FriendlyFire says:

Sound design is indeed incredible so far, and the graphics are quite lovely. I might fall for this, damn you EA.

12. Synesthesia says:

That looks pretty good! Not digging the third person on infantry combat, though. Looking over walls will force every competitive player to play on that view by default.

13. Binho says:

I’m in two minds. It looks very flashy…but that music really makes me pine for a good, slow paced Star Wars single player game :( Like a new X-Wing series or Jedi Knight type game, or a Star Wars RPG like the KOTOR’s. One that’s more substance than flash.

• Philopoemen says:

I’ve recently got back into SWTOR after a few years away, and despite the MMORPGy beginnings, it’s actually developing into a decent single player, story driven game, especially with things like the 12x Story XP boost (so you don’t have to grind, just do your class story), and the [SOLO] Flashpoints in the Shadow of Revan expansion (which means you don’t have to be in a group to enjoy them.

I started a new character just to check it out, and have played precisely zero minutes with any other player, not worried about group-content, and have had a good time just playing solo. With the morality choices it’s like 16 different stories, so I’m finding it a decent tmesink.

They just announced the next expansion

14. wengart says:

I’m gonna wait for reviews before I buy this, however it looks a lot like BF rush game mode. Which would make a lot of since when looking at the flow of gameplay.

In fact, with the player cap at 40? I suspect rush will be a big focus.

15. cunningmunki says:

I’m looking forward to playing my favourite scene in ‘The Empire Strikes Back’, when Luke has a lightsaber fight with Darth Vader on the surface of Hoth.

16. Cinek says:

– Guy doesn’t die from an AT-ST direct hit.
    – pistol is as effective as rifle
    – lol that jumping.
    – run on a floating rebel symbol to get a rocket launcher… they really couldn’t think of nothing more immersion-breaking, could they?
    – Camera changing in a middle of saber combat
    – Deflecting laser bolts… even Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast from 2002 had better animations

Overall… meh. I really expected higher standards. BF3 felt more immersive than that, and really – Star Wars for me is all about immersion.

• Asurmen says:

Wouldn’t be the first time a trailer has damage and things adjusted for effect.

17. Deadly Sinner says:

My favorite part is all of the sparks. All the original Star Wars weaponry made sparks instead of explosions or little poofs, and this is the only Star Wars game I can think of that recreated that.

18. Freud says:

I’ve got the brains, you’ve got the looks
    Let’s make lots of money

19. Ferno says:

Now I can only hope that the X-Wings and Tie fighters aren’t as stupidly overpowered and game-defining as dice insist on making the jets in every bloody battlefield game. I loved battlefield three and two but they killed the balance in that game. If only You could play levels with the attack choppers (which were nerfed to hell and back in 3) and not the jets.

• TormDK says:

They look to be on-rails, so I very much doubt we’ll be flying free in those.

More gameplay trailers we need.

They should show us how to battlebuddy system works in practice, now that we are not getting 5 man squads to run around with as in the Battlefield series.

Also, no aliens plx! Hopefully they let each soldier define what they will look like, so that it’s not class specific. (Or I could play solely as an Imperial I suppose :P)

• Dilapinated says:

They really didn’t look on the rails to me, just the AT-AT.

20. Blackrook says:

Are they using same BF4 engine or is it just me that’s thinking reskin ;-)

I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, as apart from the release cockups it worked (mostly)
    but it just looks same old same old with a star wars theme.
    Best thing about this is the music.

Time for something new > Completely destructible environment – I want big craters
    when explosions happen- I want all buildings to fall over properly when I drive a tank through or crash
    my xwing into it. I want a map to look like scorched earth by the time you’ve finished a round.

21. derbefrier says:

I know we are supposed to be grumpy and look for everything thats wrong and nitpick every detail no matter how minor or insignificant and hate fun because we are “gamers”. But i dont care. This looks awesome.

22. DThor says:

Non – canon! Non – canon! Luke as a Jedi Knight fighting on a Hoth? Non – canon!

Seriously, looks awesome.

23. racccoon says:

crazy badass thing ;)

24. Occa says:

Actual multiplayer gameplay footage.

Yeah, no. But nice try, EA.