Carded: The Elder Scrolls: Legends Is A F2P CCG

With the announcement of The Elder Scrolls: Legends, an upcoming free-to-play strategy card game set in the Elder Scrolls universe, Bethesda’s quest to become Blizzard continues in earnest. They clearly want a piece of that Hearthstone pie. At this rate we’ll see Bethesda announce a MOBA, perhaps named Heroes Of The Scrolls, at E3 next year.

Details of The Elder Scrolls: Legends are thin on the ground, but there is an ostentatious announcement trailer with zero gameplay, if that’s your thing. It shows a series of characters straight off a set of Magic: The Gathering cards, each with an obvious elemental attributes. Death, fire, water, magic, etc. Your standard CCG card types.

It’s not clear how long the game’s been on the cards, but it might explain more of Bethesda’s scrap with Mojang over the CCG name Scrolls.

Whether Bethesda can replicate Hearthstone’s success with The Elder Scrolls’ more po-faced, high fantasy texture will be interesting to see. It hasn’t worked out too well for The Elder Scrolls Online, so far, but with a free to play model and a well designed card game, you never know. The latter being the most important part, and currently the most nebulous. Legends will be out on PC and iPad “later this year”.

1. caddyB says:

Of course it is.

2. pullthewires says:

Sigh. Just keep making AAA adventure RPGs, Bethesda. You’re good at that, your established setting suits it, and it won’t be cursed by a clohd of metooism from the start.

• pullthewires says:

Uh, cloud…

• Cockie says:

Bethesda commissioning an external studio to make a spinoff doesn’t mean they can’t work on the next Elder Scrolls themselves in the meantime…

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

I do like a good card game, but I have to say I really wonder about Bethesda’s motivations for creating one and thus, whether it’ll be any good.

3. UKPartisan says:

It’s not like they haven’t delved into spin-offs before. The Elder Scrolls Adventures: Redguard in 1999

link to mobygames.com

• Great Cthulhu says:

Which was actually pretty decent. Pretty too, at the time.

Battlespire is another one. Never found a copy of that one though.

4. EighthNote says:

The only thing that would get me interested in this game over Hearthstone is if they imported the models of my characters from Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim and made them into cards I could play with. That would be awesome.

• Heavenfall says:

I’m pretty sure when you mention Redguard you weaken the seal on its prison, pushing the world ever so slightly closer to its doom.

5. Dawngreeter says:

I don’t much care about Elder Scrolls, but I really want a decent online card game. None seem to fit. And since Netrunner doesn’t seem to be announcing an online platform (whyyyyyyyy?), I’ll take this if it’s any good.

Please be good.

• Cockie says:

For Netrunner there’s OCTGN and jinteki.net . Neither is official, of course…

• Dawngreeter says:

I know about OCTGN, but haven’t tried it. I haven’t heard about jinteki.net at all until now – it looks really, really nice. Thanks!

But, either way, it’s not that them being non-official is bothering me in and of itself. It’s just that I’d really want a nice, sleek product that’ll have full backing and support right from the source. Tournaments, pro play (not that I’d ever qualify for that), rewards, all that (cyber)jazz. If that makes any sense.

• Troika says:

Infinity Wars is quite nice imho.

• Dawngreeter says:

I haven’t been able to pinpoint why I’m not into it, but it didn’t float my boat. I guess it felt more than a little rough around the edges.

6. instantcoffe says:

I really thought that CCG meant Credit Card Game.

7. malkav11 says:

I look forward to the day when, like the tabletop companies, videogame makers realize that there’s only room for a couple of games with a TCG business model to succeed and start looking at a model that makes any sense for consumers, like the LCG model.

• Dawngreeter says:

Hopefully it’ll take computer game companies less than tabletop companies. Because it’d be just tragic if we had two decades of failing games.

8. simontifik says:

I used to play CCGs like Hearthstone but then I took an arrow to the knee?

9. Punning Pundit says:

If I could find cards for this game within Fallout 4 and Dishonored 2, and play the card game in those other games…

I dunno. Could be fun.

10. Fenix says:

Worth mentioning is that a bunch of high profile Magic the Gathering pro players have been working on this game, such as lsv, Patrick Chapin and Conley Woods.

11. flagoon says:

CCG and grand strategies are my favorite genres I don’t play.