Batman Arkham Knight E3 2015 Trailer: Everyone In Gotham’s Gone To The Rapture

Well now, someone wants to be making Bioshock games instead of superhero games, don’t they? This trailer for this year’s Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] does a number of unusual things. Like be in first-person, like star someone other than Batman (a Gotham cop who sounds an awful lot like Breaking Bad’s Mike Ehrmantraut to my ears), like be kind of a shooter, and like depict a retro-futurist city collapse into zombieish chaos as period music plays. HMM.

Clearly, there’s a big dose of Burton as well as Bioshock in there, before it sidesteps all too soon into trad. videogame zombie horror. Not sure how and when this coptastic vignette is going to fit in with the campaign, but I like the idea of Arkham Knight dancing around the edges of Bat-fiction, making us wait to get our hands on the Batlikeman, building anticipation while showing us much more of his world.

And if that is Breaking Bad/Better Call Saul’s Jonathan Banks doing the voice of the cop – wouldn’t he make a good Commissioner Gordon someday, if they rewound the character to grizzled old beat cop rather than action hero super-chum?

Strong hints at the start that Mr J might make an appearance Despite Recent Events too, eh? And also that Batman will die but y’know, comics.

Somehow Arkham Knight is out next week, so we’ll find out all this stuff soon anyway. Here’s a more traditionally Batty trailer from a few days ago, in case you’re now worried you won’t spend enough time in spiky kevlar:

1. Hideous says:

More specifically, the Breaking Bad Gotham Cop is Commisioner Gordon. Already confirmed to be the voice actor for him at some point.

2. Hideous says:

And because I can’t edit my comment, here’s a video link to a voice actor trailer thing with Jonathan Banks in it:

3. Apocalypse says:

Fear gas, clearly fear gas. So this one will be about scarecrow?

4. dangermouse76 says:

My guess was that a cop was made to hallucinate and draw his gun, what he thinks are zombies might be real people trying stop him mixed in with the illusion. Maybe trying to undermine the police in Gotham and create panic.

5. Stevostin says:

Oh I would so play a FPS action adventure game like that. Incredibly nice.

6. Spidy09 says:

These are “Exclusive Scarecrow Fear Missions” as in exclusive to PS4, so we’re not seeing those on PC anytime soon, damn WB and their exclusive content.

7. Chaz says:

I still want to see a Batman game based upon the old Adam West TV series. It had a great sense of humour.

• Zenicetus says:

I would play that, it would be a hoot!

Probably never happen though, because it wouldn’t be the same unless the villains were based on the goofy characterizations by all those B-grade character actors like Julie Newmar, Cesar Romero, Vincent Price, Frank Gorshin, Burgess Meredith and all the rest. It would probably a nightmare to get digital character rights from all those estates. I’d still like to see it, if they could pull it off.

• protowizard says:

batman brave and the bold is pretty close and is actually a pretty good platformer to boot

8. EhexT says:

The guy on the table looks like Rockstarified Anarky. Plus there’s also a Fear Gas thing going on. There’s a fairly well known, pretty decent Scarecrow/Anarky comic, that has a suitably Gotham-wide story.

9. SaintAn says:

Reminded me of that Sandman arc where the skeletor-looking guy made the word go mad and made people in a diner that looked just like that to rape and kill each other.

10. Bobsy says:

Wow, that Muse song is so un-Batman it’s hilarious. And it’s pretty un-Muse as well. What happened, Muse? Were you bitten by a radioactive The Darkness a few years back?

11. anHorse says:

Man if they’d have announced a first person Gotham Central game with that trailer I’d have been so happy

12. BluePencil says:

I’m watching E3 on Twitch. If I hear yet another sentence with both “super” and “awesome” in it I may have to buy ‘Hatred’ to relieve the tension.

Nathan says:

I don’t think that this does fit into the campaign at all? This trailer was part of the Sony conference and was advertised as their console-exclusive “Scarecrow missions” content.

14. metric day says:

Wait, there’s going to be a first person mode? VorpX-ed clunky VR… yay!