Best Steam Summer Sale Deals: Day 6

What are the best Steam Summer Sale deals? Each day for the duration of the sale, we’ll be offering our picks – based on price, what we like, and what we think more people should play. Read on for the five best deals from day 6 of the sale.

Oh wow that was a hell of a day for announcements, hype, trailers and Sony. Fans of every sort got something to cheer about last night. But if you’re into buying games right now that you can actually download and play, this is the post for you. I’m running out of ways to introduce it naturally, but, y’know, don’t buy unless there’s a daily or other timed deal going on.

Shine on, crazy dealio:

5. Terraria

75% off: $2.49 / £1.74 / €2.49, Store page

For what originally seemed like a quick attempt at a 2D Minecraft, Terraria has rapidly evolved since release into a very different game. It’s action packed adventure with as much a focus on progressing through the areas and light story, discovering elements of the world, as building giant silhouettes of Mega Man. It’s had many an update since release, changing the base game significantly and adding tonnes of options for progression, but here’s John’s Diary from the distant past of 2011.

4. Distance

50% off: $9.99 / £7.49 / €9.99, Store page

The high-speed offspring of Tron and Trackmania, the devs call it “survival racing” in that half the track is trying to kill you with giant neon sawblades. Driving not being enough, you also get to fly around every now and then, performing barrel rolls and loop-de-loops to dodge obstacles. It’s arcadey in every single element, as Marsh discovered when he took a ride in January.

3. Total War: Attila

33% off: $30.14 / £20.09 / €26.79, Store page

The latest in the Total War series had the unenviable task of attempting to follow Rome 2’s endless problems and being followed by Total Warhammer, the Most Exciting Game In Development 2015. It seems to have launched with all of Rome 2’s fixes in place and been positively received thanks to it. It features the eponymous huns as a semi-antagonist faction, sweeping across Europe while other nations try to maintain some part of themselves against the onslaught. Adam spent some time with it pre-release.

2. Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition

75% off: $7.49 / £4.99 / €7.49, Store page

Open world GTA’em’up with San Andreas swapped out for Hong Kong and all the triads that implies. It has a more intricate fighting system than its Rockstar cousin and has you playing as an undercover cop. The Definitive subtitle refers to the updated and rereleased version with some extra graphics options (that aren’t particularly noticeable on PC) and all the DLC bundled in. Alec reviewed the original version in 2012.

1. Ultra Street Fighter IV

50% off: $14.99 / £11.49 / €13.99, Store page

The final version of Capcom’s ludicrously successful iteration of their premier franchise. You’re unlikely to be winning many tournaments if you’re only getting into it now, but it is truly one of the best fighting games ever made. The system is solid and tactical, a huge number of characters are viable and it’ll make good practice for the upcoming Street Fighter V. If you’ve already got the game, there’s also a bunch of costume DLC on sale. Keep track of the sequel with our coverage here.

With Dishonored 2 officially on the way, RPS’ community recommended the original at its current cup of tea price. Probably worth grabbing the slightly more expensive version with all the DLC since many seem to regard it very highly, even preferring it to the base game.

Tales of Maj’Eyal, which I hadn’t heard of, also had a few comments rumbling. It’s less than a pound, for one, and seems to be a very highly regarded pure hardcore roguelike. A quick dip in the RPS archive goop left this review of Adam’s stuck to me. Read on.

Bumper recs because I haven’t been able to find a video for today (I’m so sorry): the current Humble Bundle is a set of ludicrously good games that you likely already own. If you’ve not got a bundle before, this is pretty much as good as they get, quality wise. They’re also running a cross-promotion with Twitch that has an absurd number of things in it for around five bucks.

Until tomorrow, friends!

Top comments

1. axfelix says:

Errata: Talos is cheaper than it's ever been, I think (at least I felt like I'd been putting it off until now), and Grow Home is the most interesting Mario 64-style platformer in what has to be at least a decade, for five bucks (though I still wish they'd do an OSX port as they built it in Unity and all).
  2. malkav11 says:

I'd wager stuff like Medieval II and Shogun II represent better actual bargains in that sale. Attila's apparently decent, but it's also quite recent and thus not particularly deeply discounted.

The Monster deals include $5 Driver: San Francisco which has earned rapturous praise in most circles I've seen it discussed, although I believe it requires uPlay; also $10 Lords of Xulima, which looks like a pretty decent indie old school RPG, not that there aren't a lot of those lately; and $2 for The Fall, which is a unique adventure where you play the AI in a fallen explorer's spacesuit and is reputedly incredible.

Flash sales include $5 Doorkickers, which is supposed to be a very good indie real time tactical SWAT sim; Grow Home as previously mentioned; $3 Spelunky (I mean, Spelunky!); $5 Rise of Nations (one of the best RTSes ever made); $2.25 Skullgirls (which I would play over Street Fighter any day, regardless of which might be technically superior); $1 System Shock 2 (I mean, System Shock 2!); and $6.80 or so BGII Enhanced and Icewind Dale Enhanced - I'm a bit dubious about the value proposition of what Beamdog's done for the Enhanced Editions, seeing as you could just mod most of the improvements into a GOG copy costing half as much, but those are still good prices for great games.

Honestly, I think the flash and monster sales today are a lot more exciting than the main deals, Talos aside. Incidentally, what's with FFXIV not being in the Final Fantasy Franchise sale? I doubt I'd like it, but shoot, sell me a copy of the box for $5 or so and I'd give it a whirl. Or I would in a slightly more open part of my schedule, at least.
  1. axfelix says:

Errata: Talos is cheaper than it’s ever been, I think (at least I felt like I’d been putting it off until now), and Grow Home is the most interesting Mario 64-style platformer in what has to be at least a decade, for five bucks (though I still wish they’d do an OSX port as they built it in Unity and all).

• welverin says:

I was surprised The Talos Principle wasn’t number one, not that I’d argue against SF4.

I’m strongly considering picking it up, and it would only be the third game during this sale, and the first two were under $5.

• FreeTom says:

Yeah, I went straight for Talos. It’s only a Daily Deal though, so now I’ve taken the bait it’ll inevitably be 80% of in a flash sale tomorrow.

2. Foosnark says:

For a few minutes, Microsoft Flight Simulator X was listed as 130% off, with a price of -$12.01. Sadly, when I clicked on it the link led only to DLC and they wouldn’t pay me to download the game.

• Ejia says:

Steam really is going all in with this refund business. Now they’re refunding you the instant you buy!

I wonder if it would have worked if the game was in your cart beforehand.

• Jalan says:

Never get your hopes up when a negative price error comes into play – you’ll never be able to purchase it and it’ll be fixed before it matters either way. On the other hand, always leap in giddy schoolgirl-like excitement when a price error that you can actually pay for pops up.

3. jmtd says:

I wish they’d get on and port terraria to Mac/Linux.

• Jalan says:

Given how prolonged the development of v1.3 has taken, you may be in for a long wait there. 1.3 is allegedly headed out at the end of this month but I’ll believe it when I see it for myself.

• jmtd says:

I think you’re right, because it’s evidently not a priority for them, but it’s not a great technical challenge. It’s written in c# and there are (or were a few years ago) fan ports that basically just fix some hard coded windows paths/conventions.

4. Dilapinated says:

Picked up Grow Home, which I’m loving already. A Story About My Uncle too, though haven’t had a chance to play that yet. Tempted by Driver: San Fran, which I’ve heard great things about.

If you don’t own Spelunky and have any love for platformers or roguelikes, grab that. Skullgirls is £1.75, and a heck of a lot better than USFIV imo. If you like fighting games, I highly recommend it.

Is Microsoft Flight Sim worth it? I remember RPS rated it pretty highly.

• Manburger says:

Oh man, Grow Home is such a gosh-darn delight, you are in for a treat! :D If you’re on the fence I’d definitively recommend Driver: San Fran, it is a wholly unique and peculiar open-world driving game.

5. BluePencil says:

The Atilla bit says that it was well-received thanks to building on a fixed Rome 2. But Rome 2 was well received by the press on release despite being as broken as the saloon furniture in a 50s Western.

6. oafish-oaf says:

Doorkickers for 75% off ain’t too shabby.

7. LionsPhil says:

Invisible War is only a pound, if you desperately need more CONSPIRACIES in your life.

It’s not as bad as the Squeenix one!

• Azkaltia says:

Assetto Corsa is 50% off on Steam today! Sadly I bought it a few days ago at “only” 33% off…

• Xocrates says:

You know, I’ve tried to play through Invisible War a couple times, but the furthest I’ve ever got was the end of the tutorial.

Not because I felt the game was bad, mind, but because I was sick and tired of loading screens by that point.

I have no idea if the game is any good, but it’s certainly not a game that has aged well.

• Distec says:

Indeed, the level loads are not only too frequent, but they’re accompanied by those stupid loading screens as well. They’re not as bad with a modern PC, but they were painful at the time.

I hold a small flame of hope that Invisible War could one day get some mod love ala GMDX and the upcoming Revision mod for the original. But I’m guessing that won’t ever happen due to technical reasons and the fact there’s little love for this installment.

I still play it every once in a while, usually as a followup from a DX1 playthrough. But not often.

• Vandelay says:

Thief 3 has had a mod that has removed the mid-level loading screens. It is the same engine, but no idea if it would be possible to do the same for invisible War.

Although annoying, the numerous loading screens also present a more significant issue in how the level design works, funnelling you to certain locations, not allowing NPCs to move more freely in the level, etc. I don’t know how the mod works with Thief 3, having never tried it, but I can’t imagine it improving those fundamental gameplay changes that such a design decision would create.

• Det. Bullock says:

The squeenix one is much better than IW, but then again, a lot of stuff is better than IW.

8. Puppaz says:

System Shock 2 is 69p.

9. Zankman says:

If only I found SF’s actual fighting to be anything close to enjoyable or fun.

10. fish99 says:

If you’re looking for a realistic racing sim, you can’t do much better than Assetto Corsa btw. It’s by the guy behind Netkar/Netkar Pro. The DLC with laser scanned Nordschleife (+more cars) is also on sale.

• P.Funk says:

Stock car Extreme is on sale right now for 25% off and a few bucks cheaper than AC. Still think there’s something off about AC’s force feedback. You’ll probably never see it this cheap though given how new it is.

Still, I vote SCE as the better overall option at the same price bracket currently.

• P.Funk says:

What I should really have said is just buy both of them. They don’t have much content overlap so lots of fun to be had.

11. Thathanka says:

My wallet got a break for the first time today.

If I didn’t already own them I’d buy Rome 2 (which is now very good), Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion, Crusader Kings 2 and Divinity Original Sin.

I am tempted to pick up Grow Home, Myst, The Talos Principle and Gal Civ 3 but maybe we’ll see what tomorrow brings.

12. malkav11 says:

I’d wager stuff like Medieval II and Shogun II represent better actual bargains in that sale. Attila’s apparently decent, but it’s also quite recent and thus not particularly deeply discounted.

The Monster deals include $5 Driver: San Francisco which has earned rapturous praise in most circles I’ve seen it discussed, although I believe it requires uPlay; also $10 Lords of Xulima, which looks like a pretty decent indie old school RPG, not that there aren’t a lot of those lately; and $2 for The Fall, which is a unique adventure where you play the AI in a fallen explorer’s spacesuit and is reputedly incredible.

Flash sales include $5 Doorkickers, which is supposed to be a very good indie real time tactical SWAT sim; Grow Home as previously mentioned; $3 Spelunky (I mean, Spelunky!); $5 Rise of Nations (one of the best RTSes ever made); $2.25 Skullgirls (which I would play over Street Fighter any day, regardless of which might be technically superior); $1 System Shock 2 (I mean, System Shock 2!); and $6.80 or so BGII Enhanced and Icewind Dale Enhanced – I’m a bit dubious about the value proposition of what Beamdog’s done for the Enhanced Editions, seeing as you could just mod most of the improvements into a GOG copy costing half as much, but those are still good prices for great games.

Honestly, I think the flash and monster sales today are a lot more exciting than the main deals, Talos aside. Incidentally, what’s with FFXIV not being in the Final Fantasy Franchise sale? I doubt I’d like it, but shoot, sell me a copy of the box for $5 or so and I’d give it a whirl. Or I would in a slightly more open part of my schedule, at least.

• malkav11 says:

$6.80 each for the Enhanced Infinity Engine games, mind you. Not together. And BG Enhanced is only 50% off for some reason.

13. Johnny Go-Time says:

Your mileage will surely vary, but Sleeping Dogs has basically saved gaming for me…I was predisposed to love it because of a nostalgic connection to the Chow Yun-Fat / John Woo movies. And, strangely, the Punisher game from 10(?) years ago…I’ve also mostly avoided 3rd person, open world type games, so I can understand if you’d find that the game re-treads tired ground.

But for me, it struck all sorts of emotional chords, and was cool, funny, and exhilarating. It’s the first game I’ve played through to the end in years, and I’m going to replay it soon (and I don’t remember doing *that* since NES days…) Cheers!

14. Jalan says:

Terraria should’ve been set to its historical low. Really each time it gets put up into a big sale like this, it should be set to it. The initial return might seem less but given the nature of the sale and the vast potential for people to want to buy multiple copies for purposes of gifting to friends/etc. it would easily offset that.

I almost want to break and buy Distance, since that’s the price I’d gladly pay for it sale or no sale. Still got a day to decide I guess.

15. Ferno says:

If you don’t own The Talos Principle, get it. Great puzzle game with philosophical/historical readings. A really enjoyable world and jam-packed with easter eggs. A truly great game that one.

16. bill says:

Terraria is reduced to 1 pound something every other week.

Flight Simulator X and Deus Ex 3 are calling to me.
    Also, gunpoint 80% off, Rock of Ages 80% off, Dyad 85% off, Gone Home 88% off. Fract 75% off

Oddly, i’m also highly tempted to get Judge Dredd and Unreal Gold.. though those aren’t on temporary deals, so I’ll wait.