Deus Ex: Mankind Divided Coming In Early 2016

Our first in-game glimpses at Deus Ex: Mankind Divided [official site] come from the FPS-RPG’s E3 trailer, including an amazing moment when Adam EMPs a guy with mechanical legs and they go all wobbly. Also Adam now has the power to turn into a faceted black statue from a vaporwave album cover. Oh, and I suppose it reveals a release window: early 2016. It’s a good thing to watch with your eyes and listen to with your ears. We’ve got a few screenshots too.

The trailer’s mostly cinematic, peppered with shooty shooty gameplay clips, but at least lots of the cinematics are in-engine stuff. I like the look of this game, continuing gold shimmer and all:

Cracking that, isn’t it? Mankind Divided sees Adam joining a branch of Interpol as a double agent feeding information to plucky hacktivists who are not super keen on the Illuminati.

Onto the screenshots! Here’s Adam looking like a warlock:

Here are some really cool police outfits, if it’s not weird to find that cool:

And here’s a place I look forward to skulking around:

1. Eight Rooks says:

Holy hell that looks good. I am impressed by the dialogue/the voice acting, too – I mean Human Resources was far from perfect and painted its story in awfully broad strokes at times, no argument there, but I felt it made a damn good stab at giving a triple-A blockbuster a brain, and the two trailers for this so far would seem to suggest Mankind Divided is going to be on fine form. Next to Ubisoft’s hapless “No, look, I know we’re a giant megacorporation but we can tell a story about Occupy Whitehall 1868, honest we can” in the AC: Syndicate trailers, some of the lines in this had shivers going down my spine. I hope this isn’t just wishful thinking, really I do.

• gunny1993 says:

I’m genuinely impressed with the hacker guy, he gave a damn good monolog … alhtough at one point he said “less then us … which kind of ruined the flow for me …. mostly because I had to replay the section to make sure that I didn’t just misshear.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Did it make you enjoy the video fewer?

• gunny1993 says:

Went full Stannis Baratheon, set fire to everything.

• Distec says:

This would usually get a chuckle from me, but recent developments make it somewhat saddening. :(

2. John O says:

oh boy

3. ResonanceCascade says:

Think of Mankind. Divide it by two.

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

Very nicely done.

I’m genuinely optimistic about this one. I realize opinion remains mixed on HR, but I thought it did a lot right. If we have to have sequels, at least we’re getting more of this and Dishonored.

4. yhancik says:

Why didn’t you post this shot of vegetables action too?
    link to i.imgur.com

5. Bradamantium says:

That trailer’s a lot more palatable when it’s not preceded by a lady telling an audience that the world of Deus Ex is a “mechanical Apartheid.”

Even then, I side with the Giant Bomb guys who talked over the stream and said they’d rather see a trailer of Adam sulking behind a desk, hacking into pointless emails before squatting into a vent.

6. USER47 says:

Is it just me, or is the framerate of some of those ingame shots pretty crappy? I have always hated that in trailers, it feels somewhat lazy, which isn’t the thing i would expect from DE E3 trailer…

7. suibhne says:

Yet another trailer of console gameplay with basically no z-axis. Sigh.

8. SlimShanks says:

Umm, hey guys, The woman getting po’d on in the third image. Her hair is awesome.
    On that note I thought that Human Revolution had a ton of excellent outfits and hairstyles. More Neo-Renaissance, please!

9. Bing_oh says:

Is it just me or is Adam looking a little…chunky. Like, maybe he should have laid off the Ho Ho’s and Twinkees since Human Revolution.

Otherwise, I’m all over this. Loved the original Deus Ex, was disappointed by 2, but Human Revolution had me from the start.

• SlimShanks says:

Considering that an intrinsic part of augmented combat involves constantly stuffing your face with fistfuls of chocolate bars, I hardly see how Adam could avoid putting on a bit of weight. And that’s just for brief fights, imagine what the augmented fighting championships must look like? No wonder everyone wanted augmentations regulated, that’s just gross to see all the time.

• Skeletor68 says:

Anderson ‘Mechanical Spider Legs’ Silva v Chuck ‘The Ice Dispensing Machine’ Liddell

10. Jalan says:

Re-do edition expected mid-2017.

Joking aside (well, I only hope I’m joking and such a thing doesn’t come to pass at least), I’m impressed. And more than enthused.

11. Gilly says:

Ew. Jensen’s hair looks like it’s been glued on.

12. Cinek says:

Did they really added “let’s stun everyone in a field of view” gun to the game?! Well… so much for a skill factor.

13. dorobo says:

Boooring. Ye fancy trailer and all.. but I feel it’s going to be just more of the same with maybe a bit better graphics and couple of new easy to implement mechanics.

14. king0zymandias says:

I sure hope their writing gets better. The last game was filled to the brim with dull and unmemorable characters. And more real consequences to my actions would also be appreciated, as opposed to just the illusion of consequence.

15. kud13 says:

I tried really hard to think of something new this trailer showed us (well, besides the in-built PEPS gun).

Honestly, I keep coming back to the vegetables. Does this actually mean EM are implementing proper physics this time?

My most vivid memory of my first HOUR playthrough was this:
    I am trying to make my way through the pangu. I’m in a room with a bunch of heavy crates and a few small boxes. There’s a ladder I need to take. It’s on a catwalk.
    On the next floor there is a vent. It’s small, I need to be crouching to climb in. Gooing into that went is the only way to get an e-book I saw earlier.
    I don’t have the jumping Aug to allow me to get into the vent. But! This is DX! I conceive a plan: I will stack large boxes on the catwalk next to the ladder, and I will throw a small box up the ladder to the second floor, to use it to stand on and get to that vent…

OVER TWO HOURS. That’s how long i’ve spent trying to stack 2 crates, and then jump up them, with a small box in my hands.

I got it done, but it took forever.
    If Mankind divided is merely HR+ better physics, it’ll already be a step in the right direction.

• kament says:

My most vivid memory of my first HOUR playthrough was this:
      I am trying to make my way through the pangu.

Does it mean that the rest of your recollection is equally unreliable? Judging by my own experience with the game (and I did reach that vent stacking crates, too, it was real easy), it does.