Doom Isn’t About Chainsaws, Guns And Gore, It’s About Moving Sideways

Doom [official site] came to the Dolby Theatre as E3 began. Bethesda’s showcase event included an in-depth look at a game we already knew about, the announcement of a game that we already knew about and the blood-spattered reveal of a game we’ve been playing (in various forms) for most of our adult lives. Doom is back. Nathan Ditum was on-site for the live demonstration, and squinted through the gore and melee animations to find the rhythm of the past.

It’s a strange and difficult thing, to bring back a classic game. During the in-game demonstration of id’s new Doom at Bethesda’s E3 showcase, crowd reaction suggests that this particular reboot is on the right track. There are cheers when our hero punches a demon’s head clean off with an outrageous melee attack. There is a round of appreciative applause when an arm is wrenched off at the elbow and the palm used as a key (clever!). And there are delighted gasps as a demon is torn in the manner of a strongman phonebook trick, a wet fleshy tear from the jaw down.

(see the Hell footage from 43 minutes in)

This is Doom, right? Violence and speed – a rush of outrage and rebellion, a raucous rip through corridor’d hell. The demo is structured around the discovery of familiar weapons, a tour of just how closely this Doom is sticking to the grammar of the old Doom and its escalating keyboard-row armoury of shotguns, chainguns and plasma rifles. As each is discovered and fired – with new, reactive and hyper-violent results – ripples of warm recognition and confirmation spread through the crowd. This is the thing we wanted: old and new, fuzzy and clear, the paradox of realised nostalgia.

But how much is this upcoming Doom really like the object of that nostalgia? I’m skipping over Doom 3 here, much like id itself seems to be with the surging, shadowless tone of the new game, and I’m thinking specifically of Doom and Doom II. Recreating these games to current standards isn’t a matter of direct translation, but also of creation. It means filling in a great deal of space – an entire dimension, actually, the originals being 2D artfully posing as 3D. And it also means finding a thousand extra layers of texture and sophistication, layers that represent the Things We Expect two decades on from the launch of the original.

It’s impossible not to see that this tearing, raging and eager-to-impress new thing isn’t Doom – not our Doom – but the resurrected idealisation of Doom, which just happens to carry the appropriate trademarks and logos. The old Doom is sealed away in the past. This is a loud and well-resourced tribute act.

And yet.

I am struck by something, sitting in the Dolby Theatre and watching the second part of the demo, now taking place in a brown Hell decorated with spiked human skulls. I am compelled to write it down: “The rhythm of sideways.”

I am an inexpert and ungrammatical note-taker. But the point is that there is something in the timing and feel of the sideways movement during the combat in this new game that is, more than the gore or the volume, distinctly and uniquely Doom. Big and obvious changes have been made to the game’s movement (I see you, double-jump) but this recognisable inflection remains.

It sounds simple but this inflection is the core of Doom for me. During the on-stage presentation an id spokesperson says that Doom has always been about “speed,” but it’s more than just undirected pace. Doom is about a particular cadence of dodge, strafe and attack, punctuated by shotgun fire. There is a practised pattern of movement to the veteran player, swooping to avoid Imp fireballs, dashing forward to deliver a shotgun shell at close range, ducking back again to widen the angle of evasive action. It’s a pattern submerged in foggy impressions of the past, archived along with tactile memories of fingers spread over cursor keys and of hammering a Ctrl-button trigger. Seeing it in the demo is like recognising someone I knew at school – a jolting reconciliation of past and present. Old and new. Fuzzy and clear.

Maybe given the recent, skillful resurrection of Wolfenstein – different in a thousand ways to its blocky FPS forebear, yet lit by the same historical flippancy – I should have expected more. Maybe Bethesda have it down, this strange and difficult business of bringing back the classics. What I know for sure is that the game I saw at the Bethesda showcase promises the ability to turn and shoot and dodge and move, and that when I get to play that game it will feel like I am playing Doom.

1. zeep says:

Lovely music at the start of that video.

2. derbefrier says:

I think the game is going to be awesome. I really liked what i saw. I gave up long ago of getting a modern Doom 2. This i think while not a carbon copy of doom seems to retain enough of its spirit to live up to expectations. It was the footage of Hell that really won me over. That to me looked like Doom.

• Not_Id says:

This is not Doom. It reminds me more of Bulletstorm than Doom.

• Not_Id says:

Edit: Make that Doom – Doom + Bulletstorm + Dead Space.

• Mr_Blastman says:

It isn’t! He moves way too slow! It looked like he had boots of molasses and I swear I saw a double jump. Doom guy can’t double jump!

Brutal Doom > New Doom

• Not_Id says:

Yeah, what’s next Bethesda, triple jump?

You know, the more I see of Bethesda’s Doom the more it feels like a Doom 3 mod.

3. Earl-Grey says:

I really like the look of this.
    Proper good strafe, pew-pew, strafe, BLAM action.

There’s just one thing: that charge upgrade for the shotgun seemingly makes the super shotgun redundant.

4. Alien426 says:

Hopefully the first mod for Doom 4(!) will remove the pee-pee colors and replace them with faithful ones (as per this tweet).

• thelastpointer says:

Wow, that looks so bad! Hopefully I don’t have to play with that mod :)

• BathroomCitizen says:

@Alien426:

Now that’s a Doom I would play. Those colors really bring the game to life, vs. the normal palette which just brings me back to the ’00s.

• John O says:

Death to the pee-pee colours!

• Delicieuxz says:

Wow, the colour corrected version looks immeasurably better. The brown poo version looks awful. It’s hard to fathom why Bethesda, and id would have ever considered such a bland and distasteful scheme in the first place. It’s unfortunate that modders will have to fix Beth and id’s lack of design sense and eyesight.

• Razumen says:

The corrected version actually looks worse, it removes the ambient lighting colour from the sky and the contrasting colours stand out TOO much. Sure, the original could use some tweaking, but it’s not that bad.

5. bill says:

I agree about doom being about movement. At some points you were dodging between hundreds of fireballs, it was essentially bullet hell.

My main concern with this new trailer is the visibility of the enemies. The world is a lot more cluttered than it used to be. The level geometry is a lot more complex. And all the enemies are the same color, and the sam color as the background clutter.
    In a game like Doom you need to be able to spot and identify enemies quickly and easily.

Wisq says:

TBH, it didn’t feel very DOOM-y to me. DOOM was always “frenetic action” to me, and this one slows that down quite a bit, adds a bunch of finisher moves to slow it down even more, and even adds a weapon menu that also serves to pause the action.

Plus, I agree with someone I saw on Twitter (sorry, can’t find it now) who said that there’s too much browns and there really should be a lot more striking reds and blacks. DOOM was never about “fifty shades of brown”.

But then, I haven’t played DOOM much since 1, so.

• mvar says:

I agree on this. Doom needs quake3-like speed and the demo parts i watched suggest the absolute opposite. I hope it was so slow because of “lets show off the engine, a gamepad will suffice”. Otherwise we’ll wait for some mod like with doom3 and the “perfected”

Wisq says:

The irony being, DOOM started out with pure keyboard controls, no mouselook. So using a gamepad shouldn’t even matter. I think it’s more about modern console expectations than about the controller itself.

• Eggman says:

I don’t wanna be *that* guy, because I own a couple of consoles, but it’s obvious they slowed the gameplay down for the console market. :(

• Geebs says:

All of that D44M footage looks a lot more like Doom3 with finishing moves (or, dare I say it, Quake 4) than it does either of the first Dooms. Not that convinced, really.

• The_Sleeve says:

The original Doom came out when I was 11 years old. I’m now 32, and I still play Doom and Doom 2 regularly. I have to say, this preview doesn’t look anything like Doom to me. It’s slow… it’s extremely hard to read, visually. It doesn’t appear to be challenging at all. It makes me sad. Does that me out of touch with the modern gamer? Perhaps. Maybe I’m getting old.

Well, no matter. I still have Doom and the thousands upon thousands of player-made levels and additional content that have been created for it over the past 21 years.

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

7. killias2 says:

If only you could talk to the monsters, you know?

YOU KNOW?!

Y O U K N O W ? ? ! !

8. Ejia says:

Can’t wait for a review of a realistic cacodemon plush.

9. John O says:

There’s a few points where they strayed from the formula. The new one looks oddly monochromatic, ammo and health spilling to the floor when killing an enemy is new, the movement speed seems a tad slow and the melee kill animations seem to have come from Brutal Doom as opposed to Doom proper. The last two might seem like tiny changes, but the gameplay implications put a few people off.

Then there’s the level design. Some question the layouts which from the trailer and gameplay demo appeared to be somewhat arena like. Personally, I was fond of the look of the old levels and I really don’t like the kind of intricate pipeworks that modern game designers seem to like. I could go on, to no ones benefit.

Other than that, it’s amazing how closely they paid attention to the fans. Props and enemies have been recreated with a lot of attention to detail and it captures something of the demented spirit of Doom. Is that glee in the eyes of that revenant when he’s beating the player to death with his own arms? And in any case, no other new game in the last 20 years has gotten this close to the original series, and I’m eternally thankful they didn’t make Doom Forever

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Enemies dropping health seems like a big one for to me. Adds a Bloodborne -like element of urgency when your health gets low. No running away and looking for secret health packs, you need to turn the biggest monster and put everything in to downing it so it drops a load of health. Looks frantic. Looks good.

10. tangoliber says:

Vanilla Doom is a first person SHMUP. It’s about dodging projectiles and reading patterns, though I don’t think the devs realized it at the time. The real nature Doom revealed itself through the community-made levels, and it is really only through those levels that it became the greatest FPS ever made.

For all the talk about Doom clones, there never really was a Doom clone. None of the games after Doom really captured the same kind of gameplay feeling, except Heretic which is really just an Expansion Pack for Doom.

Ziggurat is the only other game that really captured the SHMUP as FPS idea… though it did it with a little different feel than Doom. Another great game.

• PoulWrist says:

They did realise it :) read Masters of Doom sometime, you’ll see interviews and stuff where they talk about how the game could almost be played just from the minimap when all cheats were on (there’s a cheat that shows projectiles).

• Razumen says:

Heretic, an expansion for Doom? Get your filthy lies outta here!

gritz says:

I think it’s pretty reductive to call it a SHMUP just because you dodge projectiles and read patterns. IMO those elements are secondary to the environmental exploration and problem-solving that DOOM injected into a game about shooting monsters with shotguns.

DOOM as it is played now might very well be a twitch-based SHMUP where all the secrets and levels are known by heart. But DOOM as it was played 25 years ago was a game where your survival depended more on your ability to find that critical health pack than on your ability to sidestep a fireball.

• tangoliber says:

It was about the environment as well (though I feel that the way you traverse in Doom is different from what the word “Exploration” means to me). Specifically, it was about SHMUP-like combat within architecture. (And some horizontal shmups do use architecture.) That was the elements that made the game last for over 20 years.

I’m honestly drawing a blank on “problem solving”. Not really sure how I solved problems when playing Doom 1 and Doom 2. :)

I never thought of the maps as mazes. They gives you an arena-like architecture for different combat scenarios…let you dance around and flank. But in terms of direction, they usually funnel you to towards the next keycard and door…(Occasionally, letting you choose which keycard path to take first.) Most community levels are linear as well.

11. Cantisque says:

Too much brown… Not enough narrow corridors…

12. Scandalon says:

1 – The “Use a severed hand as a key” bit was from the original DooM design doc/bible. (Before all the story parts got thrown out, obviously.)

2 – I can’t find it, but on a previous (like, months ago) post, someone posted a blog post that eloquently explains how doom is basically a 2D arcade game. (run the “show all entities” cheat, and you can mostly play the game in map mode.)

13. Holysheep says:

Uh, no. All good arcade FPSes are about speed and strafing.

DOOM is supposed to be a proper FPS, and have all that ONTOP of being gory and having chainsaws. Else it could very much be anything like the skilled but still very blank feeling Shootmania.

So yes, doom is about gore and chainsaws but the gameplay I saw lacks what makes it a good FPS.

It’s horibble:
    Slow speed, radial menu that pauses the game, terribly small FOV, looks incredibly easy (this guy manages to miss with a shotgun on close range, how peasant can you get… yet he kills just everything) …. I don’t even want to see the finish moves again. Why not QTEs while you’re at it….
    And hell must be quite fine because demons wanna help you by carrying health and ammo around. Seriously, what the hell.

In the end, it’s not doom because Doom is a good FPS, which this game isn’t (Unless it’s HIGLY different on PC with proper controls, no radial menu, FOV slider, proper speed, no finish moves, etc). It’s not doom because there’s no John Carmack, it’s not doom because there’s just a rocky corridor instead of a maze with cards, ammo and secrets, it’s not doom because I won’t feel powerful by playing it, only handicapped. It’s not doom because there is no cool music playing in the background. It’s not doom because it’s just as slow as Dead Pace™ 3 or Fear of War©: cover system 2, and just any other dumbed down, boring, unskilled and unsmart game that’s been destroyed for the console public.

• tnzk says:

A couple of things:

1) The game was being played on God Mode. Doomguy should’ve died several times in the hell section, but he didn’t.

2) Sure, it isn’t Doom without John Carmarck. Or John Romero. Or Adrian Carmack. Or Tom Hall. etc etc. It won’t be Doom 1 or 2. I want it to be Doom 4 though.

gritz says:

“How peasant can you get”

Easily the most obnoxious line in a post full of obnoxious lines.

• Walsh says:

Doom didn’t have FOV or half that shit you are bitching about. Fuck, Doom barely had mouse support and people used the keyboard or *gasp* a joystick. Did you even fucking play Doom when it came out? Or were you a johnny come lately who played Doom after it added a bunch of shit and ran on Windows.

• tangoliber says:

It doesn’t matter what Doom was like when it released because we don’t love Doom purely out of nostalgia. We love Doom because, with the added functionality of source ports, it is, in some of our opinions, still the best FPS there is…..even if it released today.

Doom + Zdoom source port + community made levels (such as those in Vanguard, Community Chest 4, Back to Saturn X) = Greatest video game playing experience of all time.

(^In my opinion)

So, naturally, we would like for the new Doom game to capture that same greatness. Does that make sense?

• Razumen says:

If you’re comparing sourceports to this new game and saying it’s not Doom, it’s just a flaw argument and doesn’t even mean anything. Doom is the original games bar modifications and the original levels. Doom is not Brutal Doom, nor is it the many countless mods, maps or source ports out there. The thing is, because of all of this, every Doom fan has a different idea of what Doom means in their head, so that no matter what id releases, it will never be Doom in their minds.

14. ResonanceCascade says:

I’m endlessly amused at people who whine about radial menus. “THIS METHOD OF SELECTING A WEAPON DIFFERS FROM THE ONE I AM NOSTALGIC FOR. THIS GAME SUCKS!” Please stop, you’re clearly adults now.

• Holysheep says:

(Except that in reality, it’s actually a slow, useless method that covers the screen and here breaks the action, just so that peripherals you won’t play the game with can actually have more weapons to pick than they have buttons)

• Apocalypse says:

Radial menus are fine for consoles, they did a fine job with those and adding a little bit of bullet time gives the player a short breather to decide how to use the new situation best.

The BFG comes up without using the radial menu, so I guess the numeric keys are not out of use either ;-)
        Besides that, real old school doom players did not even use a mouse to play, just keyboard, that used to be the default config for doom. The mouse became the dominant controller with introduction of quake, which added a whole new dimension to the game and level design.

• Apocalypse says:

Oh and one thing I totally forgot.

I really hope they do not create a controller centric level design, having the action always on the same plain was ok back in doom 1 and it for sure is beneficial to controller players, but it so limiting as well, so I really hope that their level design is not limited by controller controls.

• laser-gods says:

How do controllers limit the level design to one plain? You can aim up on a controller. Not being facetious, honest question.

• EhexT says:

Gamepads have problems with accurately aiming on two axes at the same time, so shooters designed for consoles have very little vertical variation to keep most of the aiming horizontal.

Also something to note is that Doom 1 actually had a LOT of vertical design. The majority of it’s non-killing based challenge was navigating vertical spaces without a jump button, and the core philosophy of the game was “make vertical spaces” (their design core for every game was “only make maps the previous game couldn’t have had”) because Wolfenstein 3D specifically couldn’t do that.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

I’m going to take a wild guess here and assume e you can use the number keys if you prefer. Obviously being played on console at E3 so radial it is. Also gives the audience a chance to see what’s available.

15. Urthman says:

It’s not Doom because the developers of Doom would have laughed out of the office anyone who tried playing with a controller (or just pwned them in office deathmatches until they figured out they needed to play with a mouse to compete).

• Luke Nukem says:

When did using the mouse actually become popular?

• fish99 says:

Back when I played Doom deathmatch (on LAN) everyone was still playing on keyboard. I think Duke Nuke’em 3D was the first game where I aimed with the mouse.

I think part of what gave Doom that amazing gameplay was the way it played on keyboard, the strafe aiming and circling. It handled almost more like a vehicle, but it was awesome fun. To me playing Doom/Doom 2 nowadays with mouse aim makes them too easy.

• derbefrier says:

yeah playing Doom or Doom 2 today with mouse aim completely changes it and makes it a lot easier. Its still fun and fast paced but you naturally play a bit differently when you can actually aim your gun.

• Jason Moyer says:

No one at the time played Doom with a mouse. I don’t think anyone really used mouse aiming until Quake, and even then you had to enable it via console commands. In fact, until the source ports started coming out, there were probably more people who had played Doom with a gamepad via the console ports than had ever done so with a mouse.

• EhexT says:

I believe Romero in one of his interviews stated that everyone on the dev team was playing Doom with mouse and keyboard (they were all playing deathmatch constantly).

16. XhomeB says:

What worries me the most is the level design. I really, really don’t trust the “new id” in this regard.
    Corridors are fine if there are a lot of them and there’s some exploration to be had. If your level design comes down to: linear corridor with no branching or alternative paths – an arena where you fight monsters – another linear corridor – another arena, then you probably should just slap the level designer in the face, because he’s slacking. I want to believe that won’t be the case, but… yeah. Rage happened. And the e3 presentation didn’t inspire confidence, either.

• Apocalypse says:

Yeah that might be another turn-off.

• tnzk says:

The maze like level design of the original Doom games were phased out a long time ago. Half-Life pretty much killed it when environmental logic came into play.

It’s going to take a genius to figure out how to modernise the old style of level design. Just copying it verbatim would be bad. Everyone, including the person I’m replying to, would say something along the lines of “Yeah it’s cool that Doom(4) has a level in the shape of a pentagram, but it looks unrealistic and feels stupid. Boo.”

Also, Doom 2 had some horrible levels, both design wise and art direction wise.

• tangoliber says:

Doom games never really had mazes for levels…They usually funnel you from key card to key card in a logical way.

I’m not a fan of the original levels simply because they pale in comparison to community made levels of the last 20 years.

I like the level design style of Doom because of the gameplay flow it leads to, and because of the abstract style (As opposed to realistic level design where places look like places.) Community Doom levels often have very fascinating, abstract architecture that feels much more interesting to me than the level design of Half-Life or something.

• Machocruz says:

I highly doubt anyone who understands and enjoys the design of DOOM would complain about unrealistic architecture. It’s people who don’t look at game design at anything more than a superficial level who think verisimilitude is important or the ultimate goal. Admittedly, there are a lot of those, probably the majority. There are plenty of other games they can enjoy that provide that.

• ResonanceCascade says:

“It’s going to take a genius to figure out how to modernise the old style of level design.”

I agree, this is not a trivial problem. Even Wolfenstein: TNO — widely regarded as successfully mixing the old and the new in a good way — struggled with this. It was mostly arena-clearing with some corridors thrown in.

Redoing the old style of levels is acceptable for a small indie game like Rise of the Triad, but I don’t think Bethesda spent $100 million on id just to make a niche old school FPS. I’m very curious to see how Doom turns out. The preview looks, at the very least, like a lot of fun.

• Machocruz says:

That just speaks to the limitations of the New Order’s level designers, not to the difficulty of creating ambitious spaces. That doesn’t mean Id can’t come up with better, although one can use Rage as a counter argument to that.

You guys may be right, but I personally think you guys are overestimating the challenge. In the real world, we have buildings that are combination of spacious and labyrinthine. In the U.S.we have a major building that is shaped like a pentagon.. Scale and shape have nothing to do with age or market visibility. There is nothing “old school” about being able to craft levels that are more than corridors and circular arenas. Modern tech did not enable small, less ambitious spaces. The realism of today’s level design is superficial. Man sized vents and unbreachable doors are not that common in real life.

• Geebs says:

A lot of the maps from the middle part of Rage were actually pretty great – varied enough to be easily navigable, decent flow, plenty of directions for the bad guys to come from. The footage they’ve shown of the new Doom makes it look like the levels are so featureless that they have to be linear or the player will get hopelessly lost.

17. fish99 says:

Might turn out to be a decent game, but the only thing Doom about that was some of the enemy designs. Looks like they started with the Doom 3 design and tried to fix the major complaints about it, rather than going back to look at the first two games. The gameplay isn’t there, the level designs in particular look dull and too linear, the colours are bland, the executions and double jumps don’t belong, the movement is too slow, the gun sounds are weedy and the music is just noise.

I’ll still play when it hits the right price.

18. Distec says:

After all the pissing and moaning about this game, I’d actually have really liked it if they made this a sequel to Doom 3’s gameplay style. Maybe then all the “this is shit shit not Doom shit shit shit” sentiments would feel, like, halfway deserved.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Doom 3 was cool. Totally not a Doom game, but a brilliantly atmospheric horror/shooter. That games been copied more since than the original First Person Shmup.

19. Stevostin says:

I didn’t like Doom 3 but to my surprise I am now hot about this one. Sure it doesn’t look like doom, it *can’t* but I was thinking that if the inital team was having the technology of todays the doom they would have created would probably look like this. Every enemy is very recognizable and just more spectacular / terrifying. The gore is just the extension of the original taste for blood. And indeed, it’s gamey, it’s strafe and shoot at things running at you. It’s also no ironsight, no dynamic crosshair with spread area.

Multiplayer can be awesome, especially if they consider coop mode.

• Machocruz says:

I think they still would have went with the traditional satanic imagery like the first two, if they really wanted to nail the Doom iconography. Barons of Hell with horns cloven hooves, fur, instead of the Giger influenced, smooth skin design from Doom 3. Such imagery may be cliche, but it has persisted through centuries for a reason. It’s what we associate with demonology, Hell. The old DOOM monsters are icons of the industry, the DOOM 3 versions not so much.

20. Scandalon says:

Anyone else find it interesting how many people have issues with the trailer, and they are often rather varied?

It shows how much Doom got “right”, how much came together with a combination of skill/artistry/timing/luck that turned it into magic, that you probably can’t replicate on purpose. People have latched onto one or two aspects of the whole that they think is the magic ingredient that Doom needs. I think it likely, however, that most of what we emphasize when trying to describe or explain “what Doom is” also ignores the others, and the more hidden elements.

Referencing (well, quoting) that blog post again:

Doom feels more like 1st person Robotron than a modern FPS

Doom is about “maneuverability as defense”

Doom has a more varied bestiary than most modern FPSes

Doom was abstract in ways that empowered its level design

Doom enabled a revolution in player-generated content

Doom is one of many classics whose less obvious qualities are seldom revisited

• Ravey says:

It’s sad that, by modern standards, Doom appears to be more clever than it actually is.

• Scandalon says:

A flippant response, but I think you’ve hit on something there.

• Ravey says:

Sorry, didn’t mean to be a jerk :-0

I just meant that, Doom works because it’s simple. Making a fast Doom game with wonderful graphics and precision aiming on a controller, that’s true to the original? That’s hard.

• Razumen says:

I think there’s just so much Doom out there, in such varied amounts, from mods, maps, and sourceports that add whole new features, that it’s impossible to have an consensus on what made Doom Doom without only referencing the original games.

That and maybe it will always just be a doomed (ha) attempt to convert a 90’s 2.5D shooter into a modern title, and the modern expectations that that come with that.

Maybe what id should do is make a HD Doom re-release, kinda like what Doom64 was to the original. That would preserve the gameplay but give the game some added sheen. Then again, the fanboys would still fid some reason to shit all over it.

21. Mctittles says:

“crowd reaction suggests that this particular reboot is on the right track”
    You do realize the people cheering in the crowd are paid to do so and not real attendees right?

• ButterflyRogers says:

That’s just a urban legend…..Right?

Phasma Felis says:

Source, please.

• Mctittles says:

link to psxextreme.com
      Found that from 2013, but I’ve heard them talk about it more recently still in their podcasts.

• Mctittles says:

Also it’s pretty standard practice for years to have plants in the audience to cue them to cheer at many events not just e3 and not just video games. I would assume any business wanting to avoid a disaster would do the same.

22. der_Zens0r says:

wow, the editor looks very cool. although I think that this will be nowhere near the excellence of doom1/2 I´m looking forward to this game. I had a blast with the doom3-editor back then.

23. vorador says:

Finally they seem to get it. Doom was always about moving fast in big scenarios with plenty of space to dodge. Movement it’s your best defense, since the most powerful enemies could kill you with a few well placed hits, and took forever to die. And there was plenty of enemies.

Doom 3 was the anti-doom, sorta. It was the opposite.

24. edwardh says:

“This is Doom, right?”

I’m going to go with “No”.
    In my opinion, this still didn’t capture the essence of Doom:
    Minimalism (in a certain way), big waves of enemies and speed.

The speed is hindered here by slow jumping and animations where you lose control.
    Minimalism – in my eyes, there are just too many “bells and whistles” in this new Doom. Then again… If I recall correctly, Doom 3 was criticized for looking bland.
    Waves of enemies is self-explanatory, I think. At least Doom 2 emphasized throwing enemies en masse at you over enemies that can take many hits. That balance still seems less “Doomy” and more modern style here.

25. Spacewalk says:

People say that Doom is a lot of things but what they don’t say is that it’s a combination of heavy metal, dungeon crawling and John Carpenter films, which is something that makes a lot more sense than focusing on specific mechanics.

26. ButterflyRogers says:

Doom Isn’t About Chainsaws, Guns And Gore or Moving Sideways, Its about the Heavy Metal soundtrack.

27. ButterflyRogers says:

I hope they bring back deep blue carpet.

28. aircool says:

DOOM was great because it was simple. The most taxing part of the game was picking up the keys, and that didn’t even interrupt the gameplay.

Sometimes its fun to just have the gameplay with no interruptions, I just hope that they’ve moved on from using monster closets.

29. Capgrassyndrome says:

I dunno, when people start to explain why Doom was so great they make up a lot of crap. When you enjoy something, it’s not as if you have immediate introspective access to why you’re enjoy it. All kinds of contextual things might contribute to your experience that you’re not aware of at all. You can’t possibly expect to replicate a complex, elusive experience from the past by ticking certain ‘essential’ boxes. Is this Doom? No, it’s a different game with some similarities. Who gives a shit anyway? Real question is, is it fun? Won’t know that til we play the damn thing.
    One box I’d like ticked, just cos I like it, is the D&D feel of Doom 1 and 2. The Id lads were playing a lot of 1st ed AD&D and it comes through in some of the crazy levels (that are reminiscent of the quasi-maze-like dungeons from some of the older TSR adventures), demons (who are very “Monster Manual 1”) and, I dunno, some intangible quality.
    See? Now I’m just making up crap.

30. Razumen says:

Naysayers can stuff it, this game looks absolutely great and I think it will be a worthy entry in the Doom series. After reading all their comments it seems that Purists will never be happy until Doom 2 has a HD skin slapped on it with absolutely no changes to the gameplay.

31. Josh W says:

Hmm, I like the heavily telegraphing enemies, I like the slo-mo weapon switch menus, and I also quite like the jumping. Not sure that doom style weapons are the right thing for a radial menu though; you generally want to smoothly switch between weapons and back again as the situation changes, not make the point of weapon switch some specific slomo counter-style moment. That’s probably better for a game with really odd weapons with specific uses, so that you can pull out the right weapon and specifically work around someone’s defense or attack style.

I’m also getting the feel of something like edf, and I like how much it feels like it’s obviously a game, something to interact with that is loudly talking to you about exactly how it’s going to kill you, rather than one of those games that expects you to distinguish jumpscare or ominous moments from actual sudden danger situations.

• Razumen says:

The slow-mo radial menu is for controllers. I’m sure there’s fast weapon switching in the game without it. People are getting WAY to annoyed over such a small feature that adds a lot of convenience for console players.

• Josh W says:

Yeah maybe so, but being able to pseudo-pause a game does make a difference; I know I’ve used the order menu in mass effect before not because I wanted to use any powers, but because I wanted to get a bit of a pause to see what is going on. I can imagine a similar temptation to start weapon switching in surprising moments just to get that moment to react.

32. Rane2k says:

I am hopeful for this!

The gameplay section looked good to me, I like prolonged fights in my shooters, if it´s not cover based.

The amount of negativity I read in these comments is strange, we surely must realise that we can not have DooM II in 2016, but maybe they can aproximate some of its flair.
    It appears to me that some people want a carbon copy of DooM II, but for that we can always just load up a source port and play that.

Phasma Felis says:

Seems to me the melee kills are pretty much just the HD version of what it felt like to kill dudes with the chainsaw or berserk punch in the original. I am down with it.