Firewatch Features Portable Tortoise

We got another glimpse of Firewatch [official site] last night during the E3 festivities. It’s pretty short, but includes new footage not seen in the section we played back in March. Including, perhaps most importantly, confirmation of turtle petting. No, that’s not a euphemism.

The new trailer shows off the exploration-slash-mystery game set in the canyons of Wyoming in a new light (green!). As with all Firewatch footage, even after just 64 seconds I’m desperate to see more about the game, mostly thanks to the trailer’s sneaky cliffhanger. If your reaction is similar to mine, you should definitely check out the 17-minute gameplay video from a couple of months ago. Fair warning: You’ll end that video wanting to see more, too.

Developers Campo Santo have put together a great blog post detailing their process for putting together the stage demo for the PlayStation press conference. Including a video of how the ridiculous five-screen setup looked as the trailer ran. I’m happy to see Campo Santo get such great exposure. Firewatch is looking great and, while there’s still no firm release date, I can’t wait to get my hands on it and explore the Wyoming wilderness.

1. hollowroom says:

This is one of my most anticipated of 2015 (or 2016). I really hope it doesn’t disappoint…

• Synesthesia says:

Same here. Can’t wait to dive into it.

• jonahcutter says:

Yep. I see Firewatch coverage and my only thought is: WHEN.

• hawken.grey says:

I agree. With all of these impressive, massive games coming, this is strangely my most anticipated game of the show.

2. Not_Id says:

Graphics are TF2ish for some reason.

• Not_Id says:

Edit: After taking a look at that 17min video, there’s no doubt about it. They’ve played TF2 and liked the art style so much they borrowed it.

• Kollega says:

I think it’s simply a similar rendering style with soft colors, rim highlights, and detail only where it’s needed. Those points play a noticeable role in TF2’s art style… or at least they did before the game got buried under tons of “wacky” hats and weapons that snapped the original clean look in half, then shot it full of holes. Yes I am still bitter about it.

And also, the pine woods of northwestern US and Canada are a setting for many TF2 maps since their introduction in 2008. And that part is still good aesthetics-wise, I might add.

• kikito says:

I’d say they have similar geometry and animation, but different textures and lightning.

3. Herbal Space Program says:

Her without Joaquin Phoenix?

4. Psyker says:

Plot twist ! The lady talking through the talkie was a voice in his head all along.

• Kollega says:

Next plot twist! The lady voice in his head was planted there by the CIA to guide the protagonist into combating the commie spy intervention in the area! But it’s the Eighties, the USSR is on its last legs, and it won’t give up easily!

5. Skeletor68 says:

Congrats Campo Santo and Steve Gaynor. F Nick Breckon.

6. Merus says:

The more people get on board with this, the harder it’ll be for Campo Santo to find amusingly dismissive quotes for their press page.

7. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

This and rain world are probably my two most anticipated games. They’re even above the likes of dishonoured sequel and fallout sequel, which is saying something.

8. quidnunc says:

For some reason I wasn’t expecting something so good from the Idle Thumbs guys. Congratulations on a great looking game that appears to have an interesting narrative. I have been critical in the past of the narrator/companion over the radio trope but they seem to have chosen a story where it actually makes sense and at least in the trailer to not make here omniscient like in other games.

• Skeletor68 says:

‘For some reason I wasn’t expecting something so good from the Idle Thumbs guys.’ How rude! :)

I mean, Jake and Sean have strong precedence with Walking Dead and Lord Boost Remo also has lots of varied experience. Add in Jane Ng and Olly Moss and it just had to be good! Did you mean in terms of tone or scope, or just straight up quality?

9. racccoon says: