Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands Announced

Four-player co-op man-shooting action (stop me if you’ve heard this one before) is coming from Ubisoft in Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Wildlands [official site], a game I called “po-faced Just Cause” in our tree house but Graham more optimistically declared “Co-op Far Cry Outposts: The Game.” It’s an open-world third-person shooter which’ll see US Special Forces roaming around Bolivia to take on a drug cartel. The US Army really does not like cocaine or people who make it.

Here, come have a peep at the announcement trailer:

Just Cause came to mind first because, y’know: parachutes and explosions. But sadly Wildlands’ parachutes are not ridiculous jet parachutes, simply ways to reach areas quietly. The Far Cry comparison is probably better, ’cause Graham’s smart like that. The one mission we see in the trailer is set up like a Far Cry outpost, a small pocket of enemies and buildings for you to tackle as you see fit. You might snipe the enemy leader from afar through a window, or wait until dark then sneak in and take everyone down, or just make a load of explosions.

It’ll have a big open world filled with bad guys, with plenty of vehicles to travel around in, and maybe a few groups to cosy up to.

It’s being made by Ubisoft Paris with help from the company’s Annecy, Bucharest, Montpellier, Milan, and Reflection studios. No firm word on a release date for this one. I’ll blithely speculate 2017 but the hell do I know?

1. Renegade says:

Never really been a fan of the Ghost Recon series but this one actually looks pretty fun!

2. amblingalong says:

I hate to be this guy, and maybe I’m just getting humorless in my old age, but given the reality of the war on drugs I have a pretty hard time getting pumped for this game.

• nearly says:

I was kind of thinking the same thing about the Rikers inmates in The Division. It’s a nice detail but at the same time feels very distasteful considering what we know about the prison and the treatment of prisoners there.

• Machocruz says:

The drug war background information would have been handled in dossier files back in the old GR. Turning it into cinemajestic edgy spectacle casts it in a different, garish light. It’s heavy handed, and thus tasteless to me. but that’s my personal opinion.

• Gap Gen says:

Attaching Tom Clancy’s to a game gives it a pretty good chance of having some bad politics. Just Cause is also a pretty sick premise (hey, CIA interventions in South America were pretty great, huh?) But yes, the idea of dropping a paramilitary group into a country with a carte blanche to deal with a problem in whatever way they feel like is pretty bad.

That said, it’s possible this is accentuated by bad dudebro marketing that amps up the violence of the game. Hopefully that’s the case, but then most games seem to involve pointing guns at problems, and I doubt the finished product will be a nuanced discussion of US interventionism and the war on drugs.

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

I felt the same way about Hardline. Just Cause at least is a parody – it doesn’t want to be taken seriously.

• Kollega says:

Yeah, for all the irreverence of portraying state-sponsored terrorist action as a fun action-packed romp, at least Just Cause isn’t using it to try and be “edgy” and “hardcore”. Rather, it’s so tongue-in-cheek that said cheek protrudes a good three centimetres outwards. And I love it for that.

kfix says:

I’m glad I wasn’t the only one.

• Deviija says:

You’re not the only one, though. I found it to be pretty tasteless from that angle and coupled with the needlessly drawn-out sadistic and violent cinematic to accentuate it, between American dudes (going by their accents in the video) solving foreign problems with guns blazing.

• manny says:

Pretty racist, but what’s new? Should be native south american special forces as the team on the ground. But I guess brownish soldiers don’t sell as well as white ones.

3. montorsi says:

Looks something like GTAV Heist’s, hopefully without the horrendous loading screens.

4. fravocado says:

They should make the last boss O.T. Genasis. He’ll run around screaming “I HAVE BAKING SODA!!”

5. vicvinegar says:

To be fair, it’s not the US Army per se that doesn’t like cocaine and the people that grow it.

6. Synesthesia says:

loved the cocaine map, that was some good motion graphics right there.

7. HeavyHarris says:

Don’t you remember Mercenaries on the last-last generation? This game is like that.

8. amblingalong says:

On a lighter note, there’s something deeply hilarious about the ultra-hardcore paramilitary types constantly saying ‘cocaine’ like earnest middle schoolers.

9. kevinspell says:

I’m betting 50£ on that rain getting a graphical downgrade in the final game.

10. ffordesoon says:

I laughed at 5:05. Is that the first time Ubisoft has straight-up shown us a bunch of icons on a map in a trailer?

All I know is YOU CAN’T FIGHT THE FRICTION.

• Kollega says:

No, it isn’t. The Crew has beaten Ghost Recon to that one =P

11. lucasdigital says:

I was a huge fan of the Ghost Recon games until they become console ports. This looks fantastic as another riff on Far Cry, only with team action (Arma-lite?). The co-op angle is just gravy, although I hope they build a strong single player system for directing the rest of the team. I can’t help but think that the setting and story appears to show a laughable ignorance of the Clancy universe, where a U.S. president starts an illegal secret war with the cartels using special forces, sending them in to set the cartels against each other. Rather refreshingly for Clancy, military intervention is shown to be a bad idea.

They have my money for the stunning open world.

• Chaz says:

I’ve got to say I’m loving the look of this one too. The open world they’ve shown there looks pretty amazing, a lot more natural looking than the theme park look of the last two Far Cry games.

12. Runty McTall says:

On the one hand, wow computer game tech is getting seriously awesome.

On the other, seemed needlessly sadistic. Maybe I’m getting old but seeing people be tortured isn’t really my kinda thing and it seems like almost every action game has it now (often forcing you to do it via some QTE).

13. Chaz says:

“The US Army really does not like cocaine or people who make it.”

No, but the CIA do.

14. Kollega says:

Too bad Just Cause 3 won’t have co-op on release. I’m pretty sure that this game beating JC3 in popularity just because it has co-op will be the first step on the road to a dystopian future where gun-toting paramilitary goons patrol the streets for any signs of irony, and using sarcasm is a capital offense that will get you executed on the spot.

• Kollega says:

Err, I meant IF this game beats JC3 in popularity. Goddamn it.

15. racccoon says:

lol ghost recon goes off track. still… looks kind of fun.. for a bit.