Zoom Zoom: Trackmania Turbo Announced For November

Yes, thank you.

The twists, ramps, jumps, vertical roads, and loops of Trackmania are a delight to me. The arcade racing series is wholly silly yet still encourages and rewards very careful driving as you try to top the time trial leaderboards. They’re jolly nice games. The last lot in the series sadly split different environment and vehicle types off into separate games, but they’re coming back together in Trackmania Turbo [official site].

Ubisoft tonight announced the latest absurd racer, which will arrive on November 27th. Look at that zany futurecity track and tell me you don’t want to drive upside-down around it.

Turbo’s four environments are Rollercoaster Lagoon, International Stadium, Canyon Grand Drift, and Valley Down & Dirty, all of which play differently. Its campaign will come with 200 tracks to unlock but honestly, track counts hardly matter in Trackmania. Turbo will, as ever, have a track editor letting people make their own wacky races – plus a random track generator.

Speaking of: Turbo will also bring a mode named Double Driver, where two players work together to control the same car. That sounds disastrous, and I dig it.

Here’s the announcement trailer:

1. scrub tier says:

Oh hey it’s basically the opening cinematic of Wipeout 3.

I really don’t have words to describe how excited that makes me.

2. Tatourmi says:

Oh, trackmania… You know I will always love you…

3. Synesthesia says:

If this works with trackIR/some form of VR and a wheel i am all over it. Always wanted to play speedracer the game with a wheel.

4. Catweasel says:

The really split up weird experience in 2 really hurt things, it’s great to see them realizing that was a mistake.

• Jekhar says:

Yep, although to be fair, both Canyon and Valley had more varied tracks than a single Trackmania 1 environment. But having to launch a whole new Trackmania game just for switching scenery was really weird and inconvenient.

5. King_Rocket says:

I’d love to see a version of trackmania with actual racing rather than just the standard hotlaps with some other peoples ghosts on the track.

• Targaff says:

The split-screen shots in the trailer suggest you might be in luck.

6. headless97 says:

Always excited for more Trackmania. It’s one of the best racing series ever made and succeeds at being original in a genre that’s very hard to innovate in.

7. The First Door says:

The random track generator is probably one of the best things they’ve announced. It’ll make split-screen battles so much fairer as none of us will have driven that track before!

My one slight annoyance though, is that it looks like there will only be one new environment. Stadium, Canyon, and Valley all exist already. I hope they tart them up and add loads of new pieces to play with!

8. FreeTom says:

The games themselves are always great, I just hope they can manage to bring back the community. TM:Nations was a brilliant thing to be a part of because several highly populated servers persisted for several years.

The last few haven’t managed that. If after six months the server browser shows you a couple with a dozen players and a dozen with a couple of players, it ceases to matter how much fun the game *would* have been.

9. Commander Gun says:

Great news!
    Somehow the latetst installment of Trackmania wasn;t a big success, most favorite servers i had are either offline or completely empty. Weird since the old TM was full with players for many years.

Anyway, do i understand correctly that i can still use the classic stadium (F1) car to drive on other tracs like Canyon now? I love the Canyon enviroment but absolutely hate the handling of the car :)

10. racccoon says:

Lunacy

11. Nat be at says:

Its not going to matter/make any money/impact if they don’t put it on steam for distribution. That’s what killed the last installment and then 3 years after its release when it was clear no one wanted to use the ubisoft version of steam did they finally put it on steam but by then it was too late and ubisoft killed a legend in doing so. Here to hoping they don’t make that same stupid mistake this time around!

• Beernut says:

Well, it’s on Steam already, but with this little gem decorating its store page:
      “Incorporates 3rd-party DRM: Uplay Account Required”.

So this will be the first Trackmania-game that I’m not going to buy. Sorry, Nadeo and thanks a lot, Ubisoft!

• rocketman71 says:

God damn. Same here, I have every Trackmania, many bought more than once (DVD and Steam).

If they make buyers go through UShit, then Trackmania is over for me and my group.

Sorry, Nadeo, but no. Just no.