Ungoggledbox – EVE: Valkyrie In Motion

this post would have been longer but I got tired of trying to spell valykryie correctly

Half the draw of Valkyrie [official site], EVE Online’s VR dogfighting spin-off, is how zip-zap-straight-to-the-eyes it will look on your facebox of choice, so this here two minutes of space-shooting footage scarcely tells the whole story. It’s closer than most such trailers to giving some sense of how the real deal with look and feel, though maybe I’m just saying that from my ivory tower of Elite Dangerous + Oculus experience. It’s a looker alright, though.

I suspect it might be the answer for folk who bounce off Elite’s slow-burn space-wandering and attendant “what do I do? Where can I find a fight? Oh, I’ve been murdered by pirates” structure, and its VR nature probably means it’s designed to be played in far smaller chunks too. I prefer the golden hues of Elite’s universe on a personal level, but the more Homeworld-esque Valkyrie does look as though it’ll give excellent spaceship graveyards.

You’ll need an Oculus Rift for Valkyrie at launch, though I’ll force my leaden face into its nearest approximation of surprise if more headsets aren’t supported sooner or later, or indeed if we don’t get a VRless mode for the proles at some point.

No firm release date as yet, which I imagine is because it’s dependent on Oculus finally making it to market, but I suspect it’ll arrive somewhere close to the consumer Rift’s mooted early 2016 shipping.

Oh, and Katee ‘Starbuck’ Sackhoff has decided to let herself be typecast and do one of the voices, but you probably knew that already.

1. Ufofighter says:

Did I understand well? Oculus only? Nice move in that case, reducing your potential buyers to people with a 400€ graphic card and a 350€ headset.

• WiggumEsquilax says:

There’s a whole lot of people who can’t play EVE Valkyrie, because of that one asinine limitation.

People who suffer from Vertigo,
      People who need very powerful prescription glasses, which don’t usually mesh well with VR headsets,
      People who prefer public laptop gaming, unless they don’t mind being blind and deaf while thieves take their stuff,
      People playing single player games together,
      People prone to headaches.

CCP seem to be very comfortable with small target audiences.

• Asurmen says:

Don’t think all those you listed actually amount to anything to concern CCP.

• Raoul Duke says:

So every game has to cater to every human or else?

• Windows98 says:

Can anyone point to a CCP source which says the game will be VR only? I keep hearing it repeated, but never from the horse’s mouth.

• Apocalypse says:

At release it only a $200 gpu, technology advances, though you want a joystick as well, so here add another $200 for a nice hotas setup ;-)

2. metric day says:

“I suspect it might be the answer for folk who bounce off Elite’s slow-burn-”

Er? Close Quarters Championship in the XBOX version, also later this year on PC if you need pew pew deathmatch.

3. Stevostin says:

Graphics are terribly out of date.

• MrUnimport says:

Perhaps it’s a conscious attempt to keep the game from being too taxing for anyone to play in VR?

I don’t think it’s particularly ugly, looks about the same level as modern Freespace 2.

• Continuity says:

I’m imagining its hard to appreciate the graphics on a monitor when they’ve been designed purely for VR. Besides, the first generation of VR is going to be very low res.

• Asurmen says:

They look perfectly fine to me.

• Maxheadroom says:

They’re not ‘bad’ as such but there’s something about the art style that’s very reminiscent of those early 3DFX ‘voodoo’ card games. Things like Darklight Conflict & Incoming

• Raoul Duke says:

We must be looking at different videos. It looks great.

I think you might be criticising style, not quality.

• Maxheadroom says:

Oh indeed, although I was commenting on the style rather than criticising it.
        I think it’s all those neon trails

4. vahnn says:

This game is only 60 bucks, you’ll love it! What? Well, yeah, you’ll have to spend 400 on a goofy headset. Yeah, you’ll need some power, too, so another 500+ on a gpu that can run all that. Yeah, you’re right, it does kind of look like CoD with space ships…

• MrUnimport says:

CoD with space ships

What does this even mean? CoD is bad for a handful of specific reasons that certainly don’t apply to a space dogfighting sim. Is it like CoD because it has bullets? Are all games with bullets bad, now?

• Continuity says:

He’s just mad because he can’t afford VR.

• Distec says:

Rules for Cool 101:
        Don’t like a particular game? Compare it to COD! The reasons don’t matter.

5. Timbrelaine says:

Hoo. So in Valkyrie, space is a bland gray fog, broken only by colored light trails and uninspired sound design. I was looking forward to this, but next to Star Citizen, Elite and Enemy Starfighter, this just looks dull.

• Ufofighter says:

Ships are also slower than ww2 airplanes and have fixed weapons.

Phasma Felis says:

It’s a space game. Space games are never going to be realistic. You might as well complain about how FPSes allow players to take several bullets without being impaired.

• Raoul Duke says:

Yeah, apparently people want a space game where you are silently destroyed by an invisible laser from several hundred kilometres away while travelling at 10,000kms on a fixed trajectory yourself. Sounds “fun”.

• Ufofighter says:

Apparently your ability to understand written words has been silently destroyed by a deficient education.
            Sounds “sad”

• Asurmen says:

All that says to me is that mission takes place in a nebula or similar.

6. fredc says:

All these articles about EVE and not one picture of a fat man sitting naked and sweating in front of Microsoft Excel while shouting into a headset. RPS is just not doing the EVE experience justice!

7. Orageon says:

So they killed White Wolf and the possibility of World of Darkness online, and instead make this ?

*sigh*

Harlander says:

Onyx Path are still putting out WoD tabletop stuff, and aren’t they mostly ex-WW bods?

• Orageon says:

Wasn’t aware…
        But I still would have loved another Vampire the Masquerade RPG, or WoD related game..