Cover Story: Gears Of War Ultimate Edition PC-Bound

There’s a new Gears of War game coming but if you want your regular fix of gruff flesh juggernauts on PC, you’ll have to make do with a re-release of the first game in the series. Gears of War: The Ultimate Edition [official site] is coming to PC but there’s no word of any other titles making their way across.

Two things about this, which perhaps demonstrate how much attention I pay to Gears of War: A) I was initially pleased that the Ultimate Edition was coming to PC since I thought it covered the entire original trilogy rather than just the first game B) I’d completely forgotten that the first Gears of War actually had a PC release back in the day. With support for 4k resolution, DirectX 12 and other “visual improvements”, the man-slabs should look lovely though.

Developers The Coalition only announced the PC version last night and they weren’t sharing a great deal of information. The Xbox One version comes out on August 25th so hopefully the PC release will be at or around the same time. I’ve seen speculation that it’ll be Windows 10 exclusive. If it were the whole trilogy remastered or even – GASP – Gears of War 4 getting some PC lovin’, that might be a hefty exclusive. A re-release of a game almost a decade old doesn’t scream for attention though.

Here’s some Behind The Scenes footage of development, including a look at the remastered manliness.

And here are The Gears resting and recuperating between missions.

1. Alien426 says:

I also thought it would be the whole first trilogy. I guess the Master Chief Collection is to blame.

• XhomeB says:

They seem to be really “remastering” this one instead of merely updating the resolution, there must quite a bit of work involved – probably the reason we’re not getting the entire trilogy. The models look much more detailed, the lighting has been totally reworked, the entire game seems to have gotten some much needed colour. Looks very nice, I’d love to see some side-by-side comparisons, because Gears 1 PC definitely didn’t look as good.

2. Evil Pancakes says:

Well, the first one was also the best one, so I’m happy enough. I quite liked it at the time, the sequels just went too bombastic imo. I remember a great scene in the first where you had to run away from this giant thing called a Brumak, no way to kill. In the second you got to ride one, well ok that’s kinda cool I guess. In the third you got to kill it with puny machine guns. Really? Go from unkillable behemoth to just another bullet sponge.
    The first game felt tense and somewhat dangerous when you were playing, especially at night. The third just went balls to the wall, no need for tension, just bombast and explosions. It was boring. The fourth seems to be harkening back a bit more to that initial tension, but fat chance of getting that on PC, no matter how much MS promises it’s changed.

• CameO73 says:

I remember that the Brumak mission was added for the PC release and not in the original XBox 360 version. I wonder if it will be available in this remastered one…

• Vin_Howard says:

Lol, I remember they had a Microsoft guy at [that other gaming website’s] PC Gaming show thingy they had a E3. When asked if there would be more cross-releases between Xbox and PC, this guy had the audacity to say that he believed that devs should have the “freedom” to choose what platforms their games would be released on. I honestly have no idea why they would invite someone like him.

3. Spacewalk says:

Imagine, soul patches with individually rendered follicles!

4. BobbyDylan says:

RPS. Please don;t link me to videos of bad actors syncing to terrible music. Seriously, I clicked on it expecting something funny and now I have cancer.

5. Kollega says:

I played Gears of War 1 on PC. For all the flak it gets, it was actually a pretty good game, with competently-realized cover shooting and a grimdark macho setting that justified said cover shooting’s extreme physicality. It seemed like it was actually willing to go full hog with its manly man grittiness, and sort of wrap around back to enjoyable because it pulled no punches and didn’t much care for “realism”. And I was kinda sad that I didn’t get to play the second part, mostly because the flamethrowers, miniguns, and chainsaw duels sounded cool.

But my gods… this trailer for the remastered edition is just utter dreck. The narrator sounds like he’s trying to sell us a used Ford Mondeo, not a video game.

6. XhomeB says:

This makes me very happy for two reasons: the multiplayer in the first Gears was A LOT of fun, but it’s never really got the chance to grow and it’s pretty much dead at this point, all because of the terrible way MS handled GFWL – and the PC port never got Steamworks support. Secondly, maybe, just maybe they’ll “remaster” Gears 2&3 and port them to PC eventually? Would be great, here’s hoping.

Anyway, this and Killer Instict – yay for Phil Spencer.

7. Solidstate89 says:

Well, if it exclusively uses DX12 and doesn’t have a fall back to 11, 10 or otherwise, it’s not hard to imagine that it’ll be exclusive to Windows 10.

8. Zankman says:

It is kinda lame that it is only the first game, without the sequels… And with no word on the new game.

• jonahcutter says:

The first was a pretty good game. But yeah, I’d be more inclined towards buying it again if they were going to release the entire series for PC.

IIRC GoW1 was kind of a buggy, unoptimized release for PC. Instead of taking responsibility for a poor quality release, one of the devs was pretty dismissive of the entire platform when asked if PC players would get GoW2.

• XhomeB says:

I played Gears 1 PC extensively, and apart from the whole GFWL multiplayer fiasco (required gold subscription at first, the lack of dedicated servers led to some serious lag issues quite often etc.) don’t recall ever having any problems with the port itself. Ran nice, looked excellent, felt great to control either with k&m or the x360 gamepad.

• subedii says:

It kept eating savegame files, and far too often I’d get stuck on scenery (usually after a dodge roll).

And yeah, the added on top GFWL shenanigans which are far too numerous to mention. I liked the game (and the Brumak mission was definitely a cool addition), but I tolerated the package it was in.

The real question is whether this is going to be kept away from Steam or otherwise be an MS store exclusive. If they’ve learned ANYTHING from the last time, I’m guessing not, but past experience doesn’t lead me to discount the possibility.

9. Not_Id says:

Hey, I didn’t know the pc was backwards compatible too!?

10. Kefren says:

“The emotion behind the legendary characters.”
    Cue someone clinking man-jangle-necklace while other character looks like he’s sniffed a fart.
    Holy shit, I dragged my way through GoW once in the past, and had no memory of the TRUE EMOTION the game portrayed. Those deformed soldiers – holy macaroni, it is all coming back to me now – there was so much _emotion_.

• XhomeB says:

You felt no emotions for such charismatic, memorable characters like Augustus “Cole Train” Cole?
      YOU SOULLESS BASTA-

11. Razumen says:

Ugh, I thought this meant we’d at least get 1-3 on PC, but no, it’s the same game we’ve already played. Microsoft is just continually disappointing in the PC sphere of things.

12. GWOP says:

Who designed these manslabs? Rob Liefeld?

• Ancient Evil says:

That arm in the header image is laugh-out-loud ridiculous.

13. HumpX says:

The hell with Gears. How about porting all versions of the Halo franchise over yonder to the PC loyalists?