Killer Instinct On Win 10 With Cross-Platform Multiplayer

’90s fighting game Killer Instinct [official site] returned on Xbox One in 2013, through (I imagine) some combination of nostalgia and Microsoft wanting a fighting game series then realising they owned one through Rare. Now the monsters ‘n’ magic men punch ’em up revival is headed towards PC for Windows 10.

“We don’t have any more to share at this time” said the terse announcement tweet. Okay then. A member of the dev team separately confirmed it’ll support cross-platform multiplayer. No one says whether it’ll be free-to-play, like it is on Xbox One, but I’d imagine so.

On Xbox One, Killer Instinct has a rotating lineup of free characters – a bit like a MOBA. Folks can unlock individual characters for keepsies for $5, or buy them in big bundles. They’ve steadily added new characters since launch, split up into ‘seasons’. The game sells different costumes for pugilists too. I’d be surprised if it’s not a similar system on PC.

The PC port is being made by the game’s current developers Iron Galaxy studios, though it was initially made by Double Helix until Amazon bought the studio.

Anyway, here’s explaining why its character lineup includes a cyberdinosaur:

1. Frank says:

Well, that headline is awfully on the nose.

2. XhomeB says:

Only one complaint – Win10 exclusivity, I assume the same caveat applies to the Gears of War 1 Remaster.
    The game is excellent. No, let me put it this way: EXCELLENT. Awesome news.

By the way, kind of funny that certain console-exclusive fighting games (Street Fighter V and KI) can oh-so-lovely co-exist on a single platform.

• Solidstate89 says:

I hardly consider that to be an issue, considering everyone who isn’t still using Windows XP and Vista is able to upgrade to Windows 10.

• XhomeB says:

Let me put it this way: I’m still on Win 7. I have my system set up and ready for everyday work. When installing a new OS, I’d have to go through the process of upgrading to Win10 (which I’d rather not do, I prefer clean installs) and that’s an unknown to me – what are terms? How does that work? Will my Win7 license key become useless? Is Win 10 really “free”? Is it tied to my machine (OEM)? Also, I don’t feel like “testing” Win10 for the first few months, I’d rather wait for issues to get ironed out.
        As you can see, too many questions atm.

• Solidstate89 says:

Nobody “loses” their license and I have no idea where this silly notion began, but I see it more and more on the internet. You paid for that license of Windows 7 – it is yours in perpetuity. Where this belief that performing an in-place upgrade somehow nullifies the previous OS’ license is just foolish. I don’t know who started this nonsense but it needs to stop.

It is free in every sense of the word and I don’t know how many times that needs to be said. There are still some unanswered questions about the upgrade process (if I rebuild my computer do I still retain the Windows 10 license or not?) but MS has been unambiguous in the statement that the upgrade is free and will not charge you. Period. End of discussion.

As far as your statement that you want to wait and see what bugs – if any – there might be, there’s nothing wrong with that, you have 1 year from the RTM date to claim the free upgrade. But regardless, you’re still eligible for it, and you can still upgrade to it.

• TheTingler says:

That’s not true and you know it, since we have no idea yet of the quirks of Windows 10 and whether it’ll be good or not. I love Windows 7 and really don’t want to risk Windows 10 after the utter disaster of Windows 8. I want to wait and see, and I don’t want it forced down my throat with a fighting game that doesn’t need to just be on Windows 10. It can run on Windows 7 or 8 fine, so let it. It’s Halo 2 all over again.

• Xzi says:

Well the good news is that both this and the GoW Remaster seem to be a while off still. I’d guess at least halfway through the year we’ll still have the free Win10 upgrade offer for. So this doesn’t increase my urgency in making that decision, although it does make it more enticing.

• Xzi says:

OTOH I didn’t realize Killer Instinct was a F2P title…is there no way to unlock characters permanently just through play time? I suppose I’d be willing to drop a one-time payment of ~$30 to unlock them all if I like the game, but I doubt that’s an option, either.

Makes me a bit less excited about K:I, which I didn’t think was possible.

• Solidstate89 says:

I said that everyone who isn’t still using XP and Vista is able to upgrade. That is true, and I know it’s true.

Second, if this is what I think it is – then it’s a Universal App and will in no way be able to run in Windows 7, and due to the addition of API calls in Windows 10 vs 8.1 to allow greater flexibility for the Universal Apps, it wouldn’t be able to run in 8.1 as well.

But my primary statement – that anyone with Windows 7 or Windows 8 will be able to upgrade to 10 – remains true.

• SuicideKing says:

For Gears of War I’d assume that DX12 is what requires Windows 10.

3. Skeletor68 says:

Great! I loved KI on the SNES. Even used to listen to the soundtrack on CD!

particlese says:

Man, I loved that thing! My sister and I used to rock out to (or at least play repeatedly) the Humiliation theme, and she still occasionally goes “HUMILIATION” and starts singing the rest of the song when she rips on me. I mean, that was pretty much the point of the game, right? To make someone dance to groovy music, I mean? I also got a massive kick out of the beat boxing at the start of that urban stage’s song.

Ooo, and it even holds up, in an 80s/90s ski movie sort of way! [Youtubage]

particlese says:

No idea how I borked that link, but:

particlese says:

ARG!! RPS webmaster: Is it possible to disable embeddening in comments? Pretty sure no one likes it. The return of the edit button would suffice, too, but that also removes a shred of accountability and motivation to care and stuff, so I’m more reluctant to request that — it turns posting into trying to play Hexcells without guessing…by way of emaciated analogy.

4. LogicalDash says:

[reference to combo breakers]

5. pilouuuu says:

XBone, what a wreck!

That’s what happens when you create a console with sub-standard performance and focus your marketing only on exclusives. If only instead of creating the XBone they had put all that effort on PC gaming…

Now the XBone barely has any exclusive that’s worth buying it for and PC has the best performance in all games. PS4 has a few exclusives that make it worth buying like Uncharted series, Bloodborne and The Last of Us. There are even some exclusives like SFV which will be PC and PS4 only, which makes buying an XBone like the worst option. And let’s not forget all titles from previous generations available on PC and the PC exclusives like XCOM 2.

Really, people should have noticed that the XBone was a bad option when there were rumours that it was going to have draconian DRM and always on-line requirements. It wasn’t as bad as that, but XBone is definitely this generation’s worst gaming machine.

I’m glad that we finally get to enjoy this game.

6. forddent says:

As a dude who has sunk some serious time into Killer Instinct on the Xbox One, I can assure you all this game is shit hot and I’m excited to have it show up on the PC (with all the characters and unlocks I’ve bought/earned on my Xbox, no less). I’m a big fan of Microsoft’s recent PC-friendly announcements.