Oh Thank Goodness, No Man’s Sky On PC At Launch

After all sorts of kerfuffle with the announcement of a PS4 exclusive, it looked for a horrid while like Hello Games’ extraordinary-looking No Man’s Sky [official site] might not be making it to PC – straight away, at least. Well hurrah, clearly enough bonkers-time has passed for Sony’s Microsoft-baiting ner-nerring for the simultaneous release on PC to be declared. Also, some brand new in-game play.

The universe-exploring sim, with its seamless transitions from space to planet surfaces, shared exploration (although it’s not an MMO, other players will appear, but you can’t interact with them), resource discovering and unique flora and fauna, still sounds too good to be true. An infinite universe populated by unique planets, secrets hidden for players to discover, and all with the permanent danger of massive space fights or ground-based FPS, and losing everything you’ve gathered. Well, just look:

They promise there will be a release date soon. There is still hope for a 2015 launch, but it’s obviously liable to slip into next year. But the great news is, it’ll be on PC as well as PS4 when it does.

PS. Can we all agree that the abbreviation for the game should be NOMS? Okay, good.

1. ran93r says:

I have a PS4 but this is indeed fantastic news. The thin film of dust can remain undisturbed on the black box of shame.

• wcq says:

Don’t worry, you’ll get some new games to play on it in 2016.

…probably.

• melnificent says:

Which are delayed until 2017…

My ps4 has the same dust layer, must be a design feature.

• Beva says:

God you guys are cool, I wish:
          A. I was as cool.
          B. I had all these wonderful PC exclusive games to spend my time on.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

PC exclusives are plenty but they’re not the entire point, you can also play most stuff of the last two generation of both major consoles and even stuff from far more years ago, you really don’t have many limits.

Most console players i know bought Skyrim and are interested in Fallout 4 aswell, but they don’t get the chance to have them both on the same machine, both looking as good as they can and they sure can’t enjoy mods. When they want to play Skyrim they have to turn on their stutter-box-of-pixellation and for FO4 they’ll have to switch to the less-stuttery-box-of-slightly-more-pixels.

• frightlever says:

With backwards compatibility they’ll PROBABLY be able to play both on the Xbox One, and the Xbox One version of FO4 will even be compatible with PC mods. Oh, sure, they won’t be able to play NOMS straight away, but it’ll probably land there eventually.

That said it’ll take some hella hot console exclusives to make me buy into the new generation.

• SuicideKing says:

PC exclusives are mostly PC exclusives for technical reasons (rendering capability, CPU requirements, control schemes, etc.) while console exclusives exist for shits and giggles on the part of MS and Sony.

• Kitsunin says:

Also because it’s more difficult to publish on console vs. PC. Less than before now, but it’s still true.

• welverin says:

Now, now, there will be reasons for us to use our PS4s next year, and it’s all the games that were supposed to be out this year.

The games getting delayed to 2017 are the games targeted for 2016.

And, honestly, after Uncharted 4 next spring, what the hell else will we need?

2. Ejia says:

I saw all the in-game stuff, and my goodness it is a modern Noctis! It seems to have more shooty bits than I would like, but still, I am sold!

3. ggggggggggg says:

so what do you actually do in this game? I haven’t really gotten the impression that its anything other than just wandering around visually appealing but also bland and identical alienlandscapes fighting visually appealing but also bland and identical robots until you get bored. breadth instead of depth

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Think roguelike in space. The ‘aim’ is to progress to the ever deadlier galactic centre so you explore and find goodies to upgrade ships/guns etc so you can push a bit further in. Know what you mean about the planets, what I’ve seen they are quite samey but apparently there’s lots of variety in their procedural engine. And lame as the surface fights look that battle raging in space looked awesome, sorry. If stuff like that can happen at random as you venture round the galaxy then I am sold.

Trying not to get too hyped, Elite gave me similar excitement but that’s still got a long way to go. NMO is similar bit they’re clearly not rushing it out the door. A good sign.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I think this video already shown the best case scenario of what you’ll do, especially concerning esploration.

At some point stuff will start looking samey, the wonder will fade a bit and you’ll just go around scanning points of interest in a mechanical way to get some extra income.

I still think it’s a cool game but it’ll probably need a couple more ideas on top.

• Stevostin says:

Hmm I don’t think it’s more ideas rather than good gameplay mechanics (AFAICT they have a good track records on that). If it’s a matter of fight to gather to improve to fight you can do a terrific game with just that, provided fighting is great, gathering is great and crafting is great. Most of which shall benefit from the quality of the procedural engine, which has yet to bo seen at work. Indeed the “random planet” from that demo looked quite similar to what we had seen so far. Fish looking like fish etc.

• frightlever says:

There are entire games based around just diving into the ocean and having a potter about.

I’m looking at this as the ultimate having-a-potter-about game.

• Rizlar says:

Indeed, exploring *100% procedural!* worlds would get boring fast if you are just seeing the same trees, the same fish-likes, the same herds of beavers or whatever. This was my concern from when it was first announced, for procedural spaces to be interesting the differences need to be meaningful, not just different arrangements of the same elements.

But yeah, like you say, the alternative is to make the game systems the interesting part. But we haven’t heard anything about them.

• Cinek says:

We actually did. But there’s just so few of them that they push pretty screenshots and procedural stuff on a headlines.

• Rizlar says:

Sorry, not nothing, I understand that it’s a race to the center of the universe, trying to survive by scrounging resources as you go. But ‘gather stuff, bad robots appear’ doesn’t really sell the dream. Forgive me, I haven’t actually been following this game’s development.

• Rizlar says:

*centre, damn you no edit + american spellcheck.

• tangoliber says:

Have to give them credit for choosing a random planet in the demo (if that is actually what he did), instead of pre-selecting one that they knew would look different from what we had seen before.

I do think that the planets will mostly look the same in different color schemes, and the differences will be subtle. (This tree has odd shaped leaves, etc.)

It’s a huge step in the right direction though… Future games will build upon this.

• libdab says:

I think it’s a matter of managing expectations. It’s sandbox vs plotted story – I’d look upon this game as being the equivalent to DayZ, in that you’re dumped in the game world and just have to get on with surviving. For some people, myself included, the idea of total freedom is enough.

• Dale Winton says:

3d starbound

• Telkir says:

Can’t say I’m feeling the hype for this game yet – Starbound in 3D seems sort of apt, and considering that Starbound hasn’t really lived up to my expectations (your mileage may vary), I’m cautious. Sandboxy gameplay is fine and lovely but I’d hope that this game will have solid progression to guide you toward the overarching goal. Terraria is the best example my currently sleep-deprived brain can come up with.

• frightlever says:

Starbound is now a platforming-challenge game. I pretty much lost all interest in it after the last big update.

4. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Oh great news. I was fully expecting a Rockstar style delay of years. Can’t wait.

5. GuyIncognito says:

I hate to be a cynic, but I interpret this statement as saying that the release dates for PC and PS4 will *be announced* simultaneously, not that they’ll be the same date. Is there something more substantive than this to go on for the simultaneous launch?

Sean Murray: “We were actually going to announce a release date at E3 2015, but for reasons we can’t. We’ll announce a release date soon, and when we do, it will be for PC and PS4 simultaneously.”

• Cockie says:

I don’t think that’s what it means. Like, they should know that if they say it like that people will misunderstand and throw a fit when they retract it later, if you get what I mean.

6. sansenoy says:

I just can’t see it… Everything feels so cramped and stuffed with detail, there are no vast expanses of empty space, no real beauty.

• melnificent says:

He did point out that there were tweaks for the E3 demo, such as the beacon being nearby.

• Cinek says:

Still though the surface, size of planets, cluttering with… stuff. It looks like this game is addressed at people suffering from mental problems, that need some impulse every few seconds cause otherwise they get pissed off.

• Themadcow says:

I read that as bacon. I am disappoint.

• jonahcutter says:

I was wondering what scale, if any specific, it was at.

The distances have a sort of Star Wars scale. A few moments to travel from orbital distances to a planetary surface. Smaller even than SW really. In the films it was shown to take some time to travel vast distances. Here it’s instantaneous.

Sim-like it is not. It’s pure space opera.

• spindaden says:

There was an interview donkeys ago (probably here on RPS) where they talked about the scale, and how they had started realistically and it was just really boring so they moved planets closer together and shrunk the atmosphere to reduce the downtime.

Take that how you will, but atleast they tried it the other way and play tested it.

• FriendlyFire says:

They also said that they had to search for quite some time to find a system with two very very close planets so they could fit the entire trailer in just a few minutes without cuts or cheats.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

What I found strange is that he went to an undiscovered planet, yet there were structures and robots on it and some space structure/ship in orbit.

Maybe the explanation will be that those are of some ancient alien race, now long gone, but it does diminish the idea of finding something unspoilt and unseen. The upside may be that the robots and structures provide more for the player to do.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

Another concern of mine is that there will be no real consequences to what you do. Like choosing a side in a conflict or not aiding anyone. That it’ll be mostly sandbox , which is fine but which will probably get stale soon.

• GameWarden says:

Undiscovered refers to players. No players have ever been there before.

7. Nevard says:

I’m still sceptical that there’s much I’ll actually enjoy as a game in here, but let’s wait and see.

• Chalky says:

Yeah, I feel like I’m always disappointed by this type of game. It has such potential in my mind, but I’m not sure it can ever be realised in a game.

8. CookPassBabtridge says:

” other players will appear, but you can’t interact with them”

Ohh I’m not falling for that. “Other players” will find a way, any way, to get that most modern of sweet nectars: Ruining some other poor schmuck’s day.

• Ross Angus says:

Indeed. Expect the limited animation set to be abused to represent actions it was never designed for.

9. Alien says:

True; most of the planets should be deserts. And the primary feeling you should get (given the sheer size of the universe) is isolation and loneliness…

• Vacuity729 says:

Yes, there’ll be the black forest gateau planet, the peach melba planet and the one I’m looking forward to most, the vanilla cheesecake planet. Infinite planets, infinte desse…

Oh, “deSerts”? Curses. I think it must be my supper time or something…

DelrueOfDetroit says:

I think you might want to double check the definitions of desert and dessert.

• fco says:

I read somewhere that 10% of the planets will feature life, of which 10% will feature more evolved kind of it.

10. Themadcow says:

That sounds fun.

11. aircool says:

Hope there’s a FoV slider.

12. Curry the Great says:

I predict procedurally generated genericity. :-(

I don’t get why people get hyped for games that revolve around their procedural generation anymore. The technology is not there to create detailed logical fun content at a steady stream. It’s only a support mechanism for things that can be more random and aren’t as important.

In the end you’ll get the feel for the generator and after 10 planets you know the variables and recognize them.

13. Kerr Avon says:

Great news for PC but c’mon guys… there must be some “smallprint” we’ve missed… Let me guess… Windows 10 only and/or permanent Internet connection required, right? ;)

• Cockie says:

XD If it were Microsoft, probably, but it’s Sony who is publishing.

• xcession says:

Windows 10 is free, so that’s not quite such a massive burden.

• marach says:

well the internet connection is likely true since it’s a single shared galaxy where discoveries are shared with other players (including the names you give places etc so expect the spore effect on an even larger scale…)

14. Montavious says:

Everyone keeps hyping this game up so much. Ill wait until release to determine how “great” it is.

15. Jokerme says:

A friendly warning though. This game will have tons of bugs at launch. This is not even a probability, it’s a scientific fact. There is no way for a development company to create a game on this scale without countless game breaking, progress preventing, enjoyment crippling bugs. Basically this game will be in its beta for the first year after its release (if they continue to support it with patches, that is).

I’m not saying this to blame this game of anything. That’s just how things go. This is a warning for casual players who will buy/preorder the game blindly and then feel bad about how the game is not they hoped to be. If you know what you are in for, everything is fine. If not just make sure to check some trusted people for more info on it after release. For example, IGN maybe? ( I kid, I kid, I’m joking with you)

16. xcession says:

My biggest fear with this is that they don’t add to the game after launch. Procedural generation provides breadth, not depth. All it does is generate the universe, not the mechanics. None of the mechanics have been explained in any videos and I worry that’s because they’re very shallow. Exploring worlds will only hold my attention for a while if, having explored them, they have no impact on the rest of the game.

If trading is – as one video might indicate – a case of landing on a platform, waiting 30 seconds without any interaction, then flying off, that surely has room for improvement. Wouldn’t planets have different economies? That would be a thing to do, right? And if it’s not already there, are they going to add it?

My guess is that none of this is possible because the game’s intent is to keep you moving towards the galactic centre, not stay exploring a specific spot. You don’t create a game this vast in breadth if the depth is enough that you could happily stay put in one solar system for the whole time.

I predict it’s depth that people will miss and I really hope Hello can add it over time. They’re dedication to the Joe Danger series seems encouraging but this seems like a totally different ballgame.

17. Ufofighter says:

I’m very interested in the game, they have stated several times that NMS is a game they are going to keep working on long after release. There’s also a vague confirmation of modding and a firm one about offline mode.

We will see.

18. Deviija says:

I was dreading this gem would receive the usual epic delays of a year or more before we see it on the PC. Phew. This game has been what I’ve been waiting for since childhood.

19. Owl Mark says:

CNN interviewed devs of NOMS: link to edition.cnn.com