The White March Is Pillars Of Eternity’s First Expansion

Pillars Of Eternity [official site] looks set to live up to its name with even more playable hours being added to the game in the near future. An expansion, titled The White March: Part 1 is “coming soon” according to its announcement trailer, was revealed last night. Set after the events of the first game, it not only begins a new storyline but also includes new companions to recruit.

The White March also raises the level cap, which hopefully means new, more powerful foes to outwit and defeat as you seek to relight the White Forge and learn the secrets of Durgan steel. Which probably means new Durgan equipment to go with the new abilities being added in the expansion. It brings new rogue and monk companions too, as well as new multi-class abilities. There’ll be more to come too, since this is just Part One of The White March.

Episodic downloadable adventures suit a game like Pillars of Eternity perfectly. It’ll be interesting to see just how many new adventures Obsidian have waiting in the wings for us. No word on pricing or an exact release date, so let’s just wait as patiently as we can.

…Is it out yet?

1. Cinek says:

HELL YEA!

• Blackbird says:

Hell yeah! Give me more, give me more. Where do I throw my money?

The day started of gloomy, but now it’s full of light and stars. :)

2. Skeletor68 says:

Playing the main game at the moment. Love the aesthetic. I’ve been playing on easy for the last while, same as I did in Dragon Age: Origins. I still enjoy planning all my little moves and tactics but don’t have the time to justify failing and restarting too many fights!

Wish I could do a parallel playthrough as a horrible person. Anyone know of a good YouTube Let’s Play on that theme?

• exile2k4 says:

I don’t know of a Youtube link, but I played through as an ‘evil’ character (essentially, a priest of Skaen, gaining bonuses for getting a reputation as Cruel or Deceptive) – it was pretty good fun, there were a lot of options, but it still didn’t quite feel like I was wandering the land hatching diabolical schemes.

3. anHorse says:

Nice news but I’m not keen on an expansion that’s only “part 1” of it’s story, that sounds closer to what DLC offers in terms of content.

I might go back and finish the game now, I got really sick of them patching in several balance changes (to a single player game) that affected existing saves. I was basically being punished for making good choices for my characters

• ReV_VAdAUL says:

You can’t help but wonder if the expansion being only “part 1” is to do with backers of slightly higher tiers of the Kickstarter getting the first expansion as part of their pledge. This way even backers have to start paying more to get parts 2+ of the expanded story.

Still given the overwhelming response to the kickstarter and the positive response to the game itself it seems likely most backers would’ve bought a second expansion even if it wasn’t a specific part 2.

• Oasx says:

The backers who have the expansion as part of their pledge get both parts, they are merely splitting it up to get something out sooner.

4. Wowbagger says:

Obligatory Winter is coming comment.

5. SgtStens says:

I’m currently in Act 3 on Normal difficulty and it’s really not that bad if you take your time. I’m even using all in-game companions except for one extra Godlike paladin since there’s really only one good tank NPC and I wanted to play a mage as my primary. I’ve only gotten wiped out a couple of times, and usually because I got surprised and wasn’t able to get in the right formation in time.

Two tanks in front, priest right behind to buff, and archer/cipher/mage in the back bringing the pain. In fact, the individual fights aren’t really that hard if you unload all your spells in one fight. The real challenge is managing your limited spells since you only get four ‘camping supplies’ on Normal.

Still it’s a great game and I’m excited to see what the expansion brings to the party. Any word of mod support or a level editor in the future? That would be amazing.

• Oozo says:

If you want to use all the written companions, you can actually do so. I would just recommend reading up a bit on what spells are recommend for character classes that only have a limited number to chose from. I mean, the Cipher alone — which incidentally was my PC — has a number of spells that can make even the somewhat puny Palladin companion a feasible tank, all the while being able to take out hordes of enemies when you take care of your positioning.

That way, I managed to play through the game on “Hard” without ever having to use any potions up until the very last battle, which was a bit prone to hazards (I didn’t even level the characters up completely), but was doable, to. And I’m saying that as somebody who does neither find pleasure nor pride in boasting of my feats as a gamer.

It’s just that I think it’s a pity that people maybe won’t see all the companion stories through to the end because the game does seem impossible without taking a mute and self-created companion along.

6. Philopoemen says:

Not another Kickstarter?

• Cinek says:

Nope. PoE sold very well, so they got money for developing an expansion pack.

• Sakkura says:

They already included the expansion in some tiers of the original Kickstarter campaign.

7. Curry the Great says:

I wanna go to the White That Wends.

8. yonsito says:

Anyone know whether this will raise the level cap in the original campaign as well? I hit the level cap too early…

9. Monggerel says:

Unfortunately unrelated to The West Marches. Probably the Icewind Dale to the vanilla game’s Baldur’s Gate’s””

10. kud13 says:

How is this supposed to jive w/ the fact that following thhe end of PoE your companions go their own paths?? Is this just going to be extra locations on the main game’s map available to visit at some point?

• Wagrid says:

The first paragraph states that there will be new companions. Also, as I recall some of your companions stay in the Dyrwood, so there could be some returning party members.

• Zenicetus says:

I don’t remember the exact wording, but I got the impression that the fate of your companions was mentioned as being years down the road, not immediately after the conclusion of the game. That would leave some wiggle room for using them in an expansion.

I’ll probably get the expansions, but what I’m really hoping is that it won’t be too long before they can crank out a new game, where I can start from scratch as a different class. The early leveling-up phase in RPG’s like this are always the most fun for me, where the party is relatively weak and I’m still figuring stuff out. And I’m not sure I have the stamina (or free gaming time) to re-play the full game.

By the end of PoE, my rogue and his party was already feeling like Death Incarnate, so I’m not looking forward all that much to beating monsters and villains with just higher hit points to wear down. Also the emphasis on mind control in the latter part of the game was starting to get old. So I hope the story is strong enough in the expansion to carry it.

11. BigBlackAmericanMan says:

“Set after the events of the first game, it not only begins a new storyline but also includes new companions to recruit.”

And where did you get this information? For all we know it can take place during the main storyline.

12. PancakeWizard says: