Sea Of Thieves: Multiplayer Pirate Action From Rare

With Kinect now a thing of the past, Rare are free to make actual games again. They’re exercising this freedom by creating an online multiplayer pirate game called Sea Of Thieves [official site]. After the excellent Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag reminded me how much I love pirating, the idea of getting a full crew together and exploring the oceans is an appealing one. Especially since Sea Of Thieves has no qualms about being historically inaccurate. Which means krakens and ghost pirates.

The trailer bodes well. It includes everything you’d expect from a cartoon pirate game, like buried treasure and ship-to-ship combat. The prospect of battening down the hatches with a group of friends before hunting down a chest of gold and celebrating with a well-earned grog on a sun-drenched beach is definitely something I can get behind. Even if I can’t say all that without running out of breath.

Sea of Thieves will be exclusive to Windows 10 on PC. It’s unclear whether PC players will be able to play with their Xbox One friends, but it’s not a definite no either. I’m hopeful that we’ll get to experience some cross-server swashbuckling when it launches in “holiday 2016”.

1. Dr_Barnowl says:

Windows 10 only. Arrrr-se.

I guess we should all just start to accept that if we want to continue playing games, that we have to accept more “upgrades” to an operating system that serves the interests of Microsoft more than us. Or pray to the Holy Saint Gabe that SteamOS gains enough clout to make developers think twice.

• Cinek says:

Feels like back in the early Win XP days. Ohh… evil Microsoft want me to upgrade!!!!

• Dr_Barnowl says:

I upgraded from Windows 2000 because of DRM – I bought a game (Supreme Commander, I think) that had DRM that didn’t work on Win2k because it needed crypto components that were introduced in XP.

I upgraded to the latest Windows at the time, as you would. Which was Vista. Hence my attitude to forced upgrades to play a game for no technical reason other than those that serve the publishers rather than the developers and the gamers.

Harlander says:

I upgraded from XP to 7 largely because of Just Cause 2, so my impressions of upgrading for that reason are somewhat more positive. Of course, I’d already been holding out on upgrading for a while…

• Novack says:

I agree with what Dr_Barnowl says.
          Sadly, people is often uneducated about how this things work, and the frequent ignorant happiness about “free lunchs” offered by companies like Microsoft is due to a lack of context… corporations give nothing for free, there is always a price for it, and it usually comes down to an even narrower range of choice.

Of course cinicism and sarcasm show up, it actually proves the point about feeling the ego pain of not wanting or fearing to go deeper into the rabit hole.

• derbefrier says:

And they even have the nerve to offer the upgrade for free. Microsoft is clearly evil and out to screw us all.

• SuicideKing says:

They’re still not clear on how they’re handling retail licenses, instead saying “for the life of the device” etc. so I’m still vary of their motives.

• Hedgeclipper says:

What worries me is the continuous update system they’re talking about, how long will it be before they change something that breaks a bunch of games?

• Solidstate89 says:

So just put your OS into the Slow Ring. You’ll get plenty of warning then. Besides, when was the last time an update broke a game? I can still play games from over a decade ago, despite going through four OSes in that time frame.

• Hedgeclipper says:

uh huh try reading the steam reviews of some older games, not to mention GFWL

• Solidstate89 says:

That’s not an answer. GFWL has fuck all to do with an OS update, and saying “older games” is vague to the point of worthless. Did all of those stop responding after one update? Are we talking literally decades old games that were built around Windows 95? Define “older.”

• FriendlyFire says:

I managed to make Machines, a game from 1999 running on (I think) DirectX 7 with a deprecated set of APIs, to run on Windows 8.1. I’ve actually yet to see a game that you can’t force into running in some way or another.

GFWL has absolutely nothing to do with that and I’m sure you’re well aware. I won’t even say “nice try” because it was quite bad actually.

• Solidstate89 says:

You do realize Rare is owned by Microsoft, right?

• Timbrelaine says:

I can’t muster up much outrage for an OS that is free for a large majority of current Windows gamers, and brings substantial improvements (Direct X 12) to gaming.

2. Eight Rooks says:

I’d be happy to upgrade to Windows 10, but multiplayer-only = no dice for me. Still. It does look pretty. (That water, especially.) Perhaps all the people who keep asking why Assassin’s Creed isn’t just going to be pirate games until the end of time will shut up now. :)

3. peterako1989 says:

Excuse me, but IS THAT IT?! Was an MMO what fans of rare were expecting or even wanted?! MS do you even brain?!

• Philomelle says:

Seems pretty logical to me. Rare are now Rare in name only, seeing as all their original creative staff left to form their own team about one year ago and are currently working on a 3D platformer. Let’s let those people do what they do best in their new company, and let the new Rare staff do something they’re good at instead.

4. peterako1989 says:

BTW what is the exact reason it is windows 10 only?

• Dr_Barnowl says:

Because Rare are owned by Microsoft and They Say So.

Like the inevitable upgrade from Win2k to XP or later because of crypto components that got used in DRM, not game engines.

• derbefrier says:

Directx 12 maybe and they seem to have made windows 10 and the xbone pretty compatible with each other and a few of the games they announced are going to have cross platform play ( killer insinct is one of them). I wouldnt be surprised if this game launched with cross platform play too.

• Timbrelaine says:

Probably because Direct X 12 is exclusive to Windows 10.

5. Vurogj says:

Probably won’t be as good as Puzzle Pirates.

6. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Does it say something about me that I read the title as Sex Thieves at first glance? Now there’s a game I’d like to play. Also this.

7. Frank says:

I think you mean “Rare”. Without the quotes, it’s like mentioning Sierra without bringing up necromancy.

8. wyrm4701 says:

Aw, that’s too bad. I really like pirate games, but I think this will be a pass until I’m forced to upgrade to Win 10. It’s a really weird decision to lash a multiplayer game to a particular variation of OS, especially one with a very uncertain adoption rate. Isn’t one of the key goals with multiplayer-only games to maximize the player base as soon as possible?

9. lalalu2009 says:

Can somebody explain to me where this game has been all these years? Why has noone made a multiplayer pirate game where you can go onto islands and sail ships and do sea battles before? I personally would’ve thought that this genre was as simple as it gets if you want to make a hyped game.