American Truck Sim’s Heavenly Scenes & Hellish Sounds

The worst music. The worst. And yet, at the same time, the Beach Boys-as-muzak soundtrack to this new American Truck Simulator [official site] footage entirely fits the faintly awkward cheesiness of the sterling lorry driver series. I sort of love it.

In another world and another life where I have time free every day to spend downtime in front of a monitor, I would spend that time tooling around in Euro Truck Simulator 2. It’s strange: if I’m on a long real-life drive, I’d given anything to stop, escape the motorway, get away from the road. But invite me to spend a few hours on a pretend road and I’m all over it. Maybe it’s because I’m in a big, slow lorry, so any sense that I need to rush is removed. Maybe it’s because it doesn’t really do M25 gridlocks and the attendant grinding agony in my left ankle from stop-start driving in first gear for two hours. Maybe it’s because I don’t get anyone killed if I’m reckless.

I like to drive around Swansea and Cardiff most, as they’re my old university stomping grounds, but the recent Scandianvian DLC has been a treat too. The US locales look as though they’ll be the instant preference, however. The big sky, the chrome, the diners, the desert – tropes aplenty, but they’re real-life tropes, and the epitome of the road fantasy for so many non-Americans.

Dear God, though, the music. And what’s that sort of squelchy-click noise in the background?

SoundDust says:

Nowadays you don’t have to hire real musicians as software can do it all for you! At least they did for this one..

That squelchy-click noise is a badly played/sampled guitar with a wah wah pedal.

And please, let’s keep the Beach Boys out of this..

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Driving across Nevada with the War Rig from Mad Max modded in. It’s going to happen.

• TobleroneRoloCombo says:

Though, Mad Max takes place in Australia. (And Fury Road was shot in neither.)

Either way, I hope it’s easier to add custom portraits. Playable Imperator Furiosa, away.

3. CookPassBabtridge says:

Oh my. Been following this for a while and it looks like a nice natural progression from ETS2. I really hope this works with the DK2 or other face-u-lator technology, I have many happy hours were spent cruising round a virtual europe in this and a rift.

4. Solidstate89 says:

If it’s a true American Truck simulator, then it’ll have meth dealers and hookers at every major truck stop.

5. Plopsworth says:

What? Isn’t that Bates Motel out of Psycho at 0:25? Under new ownership as the Oasis Motel, I see. Check out the spooky mansion in the background. Odd reference and odd that they’d model it, a fictional location (?), in such high fidelity and then show it for five whole seconds in 55 second montage.

Still, cool!

• Ross Angus says:

So much better than yet another use of the Wilhelm scream.

• martyr1777 says:

lol, I was thinking the same thing… It sure looks like the Bates house and motel. odd to include but humorous.

• Amstrad says:

I hope the inclusion of a Bates Hotel look-alike is a statement of intent and there will be plenty more easter eggs like this to spot.

6. Saarlaender39 says:

“that sort of squelchy-click noise” is a wah wah pedal.

Oh, and the music has a certain Dick Dale or (even more so) The Challengers vibe.

7. metric day says:

Beach Boys? Somebody doesn’t know shit about Brian Wilson apparently.

8. Kerr Avon says:

Well if we’re talking American Trucks and music, strange nobody’s mentioned this yet… or too obvious?

[youtube link to youtube.com

So long as we get to drive the “Rubber Duck” Mack RS712LST (and maybe the “Duel” Peterbilt 281) through some New Mexico and Nevada scenery it should be worth getting this one.

• TobleroneRoloCombo says:

Does bring to mind that, with the Internet Radio system having easy access to US ones (some of the European ones are inaccessible due to country restrictions, which ETS2 bypasses) almost all stations will be in English, presumably.

(Can be kind of fun switching stations when crossing national borders to a local station, although I can’t bring myself to switch from a select few.)

9. Synesthesia says:

Psycho motel spotted!

10. onodera says:

I kinda wish it shared the world with The Crew, so you could swear at random jerks on souped-up cars cutting in front of you.

11. alms says:

Still an improvement over the generic euro something note soup they usually use then?

12. TobleroneRoloCombo says:

I love the added depth to cities and towns, at least compared to ETS2, where they were industrial areas with *views* of the actual city, but you’re generally unable to drive by anything you’d recognise (for the most part.) With a lot of the cities, it was nice to see ‘oh, nice, they modelled that building,’ but here cities seem to be more cohesive.

Also, think that’s the first residential street we’ve seen in the Truck Simulator (is that the name they’ll be going with?) series so far. I haven’t really explored the Going East or Scandinavia DLCs, so I may be wrong.