Assassin’s Creed Syndicate’s Many E3 Trailers

I was waiting during E3 for Ubisoft to prove that Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [official site] is a worthy addition to the franchise. True to form, the publisher has released about a million trailers (okay, three) for the game during E3. None of them have quelled my fears.

The concept of building up a street gang to rise to power seems immeasurably dull to me. All of the footage shown in the trailers below feels soulless. Exactly the opposite feeling I have when I think back to Black Flag’s sea shanties or Brotherhood’s takedown of the Borgias.

As for the “Evie trailer”, it’s clear Ubisoft got spooked by the backlash against Unity’s lack of female characters last year and, while Evie herself is proof that they’re trying to fix it, there’s still a ways to go. Constantly referring to her as “Jacob’s sister” is getting pretty annoying, as is not letting her voice over her own trailer.

On the plus side, Assassin’s Creed Syndicate’s London looks gorgeous and I am very much looking forward to exploring the virtual city circa 1868. I just wish there was a compelling game to play within it, too.

1. BobbyDylan says:

Pretty much my impressions. I got Unity for free with my 970, and I’ve never played it. I’m tired of playing the same game over and over again, with slightly different character models. Black Flag was fun and I wish they’d make a dedicated pirate game.

The London one I might pick up one day, to asplore London (my current home town) but the game itself looks pretty cookie-cutter dull.

2. Phantom_Renegade says:

Does it have a pirate ship? If the answer is no I’ll pass. We’ve done all of this before in the AC2 trilogy. Better graphics and a new city doesn’t suddenly make it an interesting proposition. Add to that Ubi’s apathic PC ports and it’s even less interesting.

3. Zenicetus says:

What a complete waste of a gorgeous setting. I just don’t get why they think this gang leader theme is so compelling. Is it some kind of hook for the multiplayer side of the game?

Zero interest here, and I enjoyed Black Flag.

• Eight Rooks says:

As far as I remember there is no multiplayer this time at all. Not even Unity’s co-op. (Yup, a quick Google confirms it.)

• anHorse says:

That’s both good news and an indication of how quickly this is being rushed out (seriously ubi put co-op in everything)

Unity IMO was dragged down by the big single player world being full of missions designed for co-op play

• Zenicetus says:

Well, if there’s no multiplayer then the gang theme makes even less sense to me. Personally, I would have gone for a badass Sherlock Holmes take on this setting, instead of Gangs of New York.

Even aside from the gang theme, there has to be something likable about the character they’re asking you to play for all these hours. And from what I’ve seen, I can’t stand the personality and attitude of the guy they’re showing as the next incarnation of the Assassin. Don’t like him, don’t want to play him.

• jonahcutter says:

I’d love a game based around the Guy Ritchie/Robert Downey Jr. films. At least with that tone and aesthetic.

• Zenicetus says:

Exactly! Something a bit over the top, like the Downey films, but still a great fit for the Assassin role.

• LetSam says:

The gang theme makes me suspect they binge watched Peaky Blinders and want to jump on that bandwagon, similar to how The Lost and Damned DLC for GTA IV felt like a cash-in on the Sons of Anarchy popularity (probably coincidence since the DLC and first season of the show must have been developed concurrently).

4. Morlock says:

1868? They better integrate the beginnings of RPS and show how they relate to the Assassins/Templar conspiracy.

5. BenAttenborough says:

Cor blimey guv’nor! Up the apple and pears, and keep a butcher’s out.
    Try the bitter it’s really quite drinkable…

• Gap Gen says:

Nah, mate. If you really want a proper setting forget that Landan, nahwan’s interested in reading a preview of that nonsense. It’s all about Essex in games journalism.

• Turkey says:

Oh no, Mr Dickens, sur. This ain’t me son. It’s me ward. Orphan wot goes by the name of Olivah. We call ‘im Twist on account of how wicked twisted ‘e is. I don’t get it, Mr Dickens, sur, why’re you strokin’ yer beard like that. An’ wots with that lightbulb tha’s been out as long as I’ve visited this tavern suddenly lightin’ up ovah yer head.

6. Eight Rooks says:

Said it for the Mankind Divided trailer, I’ll say it again here; as well as all the points you raise, Jem, I also do not like what Ubisoft seem to be trying to do with the whole “It’s a bunch of little guys trying to stick it to the man! Revolution! You guys like revolutions, right?” schtick. It strikes me as ham-fisted at best, tone-deaf at worst and the righteous anger in a couple of lines of dialogue in the Deus Ex trailer just makes it all look extremely silly. I liked Unity, a lot, but more and more I suspect I may end up skipping Syndicate – I don’t like their idea of “Britishness” (terrible accents, stiff, awkward acting, horrible costume design, nothing about the story interests me), I don’t like the suggestion they’re trying to scale back Unity’s tech (where are my hundreds of people everywhere) and… just nothing about this makes it seem in the slightest bit essential, even as someone who’s been a fairly vocal fan of the franchise up ’til now (Assassin’s Creed III > Far Cry 3, you heard). :(

7. Turkey says:

Awww. I was hoping everyone in London would have a French accent in the AssCreed universe.

• Hedgeclipper says:

Now I’d really love to play that game, what a missed opportunity

8. reggiep says:

Ubisoft’s homogenized game mechanics worked well enough for a time, but that time is done. They’ve milked those ideas across their entire product line for long enough. I just don’t find these games exciting anymore, and Uplay is the most horrendous DRM client out there.

For the sake of gaming, gamers need to pass up on this next AssCreed title to show Ubisoft that they need to do better.

• cosmitz says:

Haven’t played an Assassin’s Creed game since.. i think 3? The last one with Ezio’s and with Constantinople, or was that Brotherhood?

The first AC was groundbreaking at the time and Ezio’s forays sharpened the genre into a fine point. Anything that came after, which i dabbled into for less than a few hours each, have been extra tips growing on an already sharp tip of a blade. They don’t make the knife any better.

So much talent is going to waste on this series.

9. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Good grief that’s an awful lot of snark. I get it, hating ubisoft is the trendy thing nowadays, but it just seems a bit unbecoming, you know?

• Herbal Space Program says:

Still loving Child of Light and Valiant Hearts, maybe the secret to liking Ubisoft is to play their smaller games.
      And Rayman.

• Person of Interest says:

Also, don’t forget Grow Home! How could anyone snark on it? The game puts a big grin on my face.

10. John O says:

Look at how pretty it is! And look at how utterly stupid the whole thing is! The story sounds cringeworthy already, and I’m pretty sure horses don’t crash into stuff like cars do. Horses aren’t made of steel, they have not been designed to ram carriages on narrow streets, right? Oh well, I suppose they consulted the proper horse carriage racing authorities.

Anyhuh, I’d love to play this one and the last one when they get the good sense to make a walking simulator spinoff without all those mandatory cutscene silliness and such.

• Zenicetus says:

The horses are probably among the least of the problems here, but yeah, it looks ridiculous to treat a carriage race like it was just an urban car chase in drag. Horses don’t smash into things; they just don’t. Couldn’t they have had a carriage race out in the countryside where it might make a little more sense?

It’s just lazy design, like so much else here except for the gorgeous static environment.

11. Barberetti says:

The QTEs in this game will involve beggars lurching out of the alleyways at you, then you fending them off by frantically bashing random keys before their gin-breath-o-meter reaches the top and knocks you out.

12. vorador says:

Dead horse, meet wooden stick with considerable kinetic force.
    Repeat.

13. 7vincent7black7 says:

Right. That’s it then. The next Assassin’s Creed game I ever play will be the last one they ever make, when they finally present solely a futuristic world, and no diving into Animuses, and a concluding storyline that does not put the release of one of the Ones Who Came Before, who is bent on world domination, on the back-burner.

We all know the direction the story is really going to go right? They are going to continue to exaggerate this war between Assassins and Templars, and then suddenly the Ones Who Came Before will suddenly pose a massive threat to the continued survival of Humanity itself, and the Assassin’s and Templars will have to learn to work together, or risk destroying themselves as well as humanity’s chances of surviving a war with Them in the process.

Its the same f***** story that’s been told over nad over, and they know it, and they are putting it off with all these stupid scene changes because they need to bide thier time so that it will fly over our heads that like 50+ games have already plied this theme in htier videogames.

14. Stone_Crow says:

“So guys, Black Flag was a massive hit, everyone loved it, Unity bomb and everyone said it was a massive step backwards. What shall we do next?”

“Hmmm… erm… Unity again”?

“Fuck Yeah!… To the U-cave Robyn!”…

15. ffordesoon says:

LEMME TELL YER ABOWT MOI SISTAH, SHE’S A BLIMMIN STRORNG FEMALE CHARACTAH SHE IS WOT WIV ER STABBIN BLOKES EN SUCH

EH WOT BOB’S YER UNCLE

16. teamcharlie says:

Play Ubisoft’s startlingly new Assassin’s Creed: Syndicate! Visit the exitic lands of the mysterious Occident. Explore previously unknown locations like ‘busy and famous train station.’ Definitely climb Big Ben for some contrived reason. Crown jewels? There’s unquestionably some kind of Assassin thing there! Meet such foreign characters as ‘fat white guy with a British accent’ and ‘rich white guy with bad facial hair and a FANCIER British accent!’

You thought we were computer nerds who didn’t know anything about girls? Well, we have one you can play as now! And since we know that ladies are totally equal to me, we didn’t even want to give her a different backstory from the main (male) character. THAT’S how equal she is! Watch her be really gruff, explain how she doesn’t need a man, get defined in terms of men, and then later need a man.

Cane sword? Like one of the main starting weapons in Bloodborne from earlier this year that’s also about set in the Victorian era? That’s a hidden blade thing, right? We’ve got one of those! Oh man, and you like vehicles? And you say we did those really well in Black Flag with ships, a game everybody thought was at least pretty good? Well…those were hard to make, and even though Britain is basically known for its navy, we’ve got carriages! It’s like GTA! Well, actually it’s a lot more like Saints Row III making fun of GTA, except without any sense of irony.

Play Assasin’s Creed: Syndicate, pre-emptive winner of the coveted Golden Spade award for quickest hole dug for a previously respected series, 2015.