Best Steam Summer Sale Deals: Day 8

What are the best Steam Summer Sale deals? Each day for the duration of the sale, we’ll be offering our picks – based on price, what we like, and what we think more people should play. Read on for the five best deals from day 8 of the sale.

I am become boxes, the mover of worlds. I sit in the shattered remnants of my old flat, marvelling at how one floor could possibly be so dusty, and considering the possibilities of cheap games. If only I had bought on daily deals instead of needlessly flushing my cash away, perhaps I wouldn’t have this incredible headache and be unable to feel my feet. I was supposed to bring balance to my wallet, not destroy it! I intend to assist you in finding that balance.

Steam Day 8 – First Contact:

5. Batman Arkham Asylum + Arkham City

75% off: $4.99 / £3.74 / €4.99 each, Asylum page and City page

The first two parts of Batman’s soon to be complete trilogy of beat’em’up/adventure/action games. The first is a clean, tight world filled with interesting areas, distinct buildings of the complex being devoted to certain super villains. The follow-up was a large open-world with roaming gangs of baddies, but broadly followed the same Zelda-esque dungeon formula. They’re both excellent in their own ways and buying them also gets you a free pass to the Arguing Which Is Better Emporium. Mr. A Meer gave thoughts on the original (in 2009 oh babel the passage of time), while Mr. A Smith was assigned to the followup.

4. Shovel Knight

33% off: $10.04 / £7.36 / €10.04, Store page

2D platforming with a very retro feel, you play a knight armed with a shovel (surprise!) and must defeat enemies and dig up gems to progress. Despite the surface retro, it’s had modern animation and art applied, so looks gorgeous. Received stunningly well by press and players, it appeared a bit out of nowhere. Adam gave it an hour around release time and came away smiling.

3. Titan Souls

40% off: $8.99 / £6.59 / €8.99, Store page

That very rare combo of incredible idea (Shadow of the Colossus meets Dark Souls with one touch death for both the player and bosses) and impressive execution. Titan Souls is a delight, difficult and precise combat of attempting to nail weakspots with arrows while dodge rolling to evade attacks from massive creatures. The plot is implied through environmental factors and the bosses themselves. Marsh loved a pre-release demo while Adam fell for the full thing in his review.

2. Ori And The Blind Forest

40% off: $11.99 / £8.99 / €11.99, Store page

A recent entry in the feelings ‘n’ platforming genre featuring a mysterious white creature’s journey to save the world. Also featuring the most adorable giant bear-mother-thing ever. While Ori nails the cutesy elements, it’s also rock solid on platforming and combat especially once you’re over the initial hump of what is quite a difficult game. Pip enjoyed the beauty of the world and the story while swearing at it in her review and she and Graham virtual-sat virtual-down for a virtual-chat about how well the emotional side of the game functions.

1. Life is Strange

20% off: $15.99 / £12.79 / €15.99, Store page

One of the new breed of Telltale-style adventure games with a focus on exploration and decision making over hardcore puzzle solving and failure states. It’s an absolutely wonderful story of a girl named Max and her reactions to suddenly discovering the ability to control time. Now is an extra good time to jump in as the first three episodes that are currently released form a narrative arc of their own within the larger story. You can also grab just the first episode to check if it’s for you for under two pounds or equivalent (equidvalent?). If it turns out to be your cup of tea, the other four won’t set you back much more. We’ve written tonnes about the game but everything except Pip’s initial review of the first episode should be considered somewhat-spoilers.

From yesterday’s community suggestions, Abyss Odyssey sticks out as a good shot at 66% off. It’s a 2D action platformer with a deeper fighting system than you might be used to, playing a little more like Street Fighter than DMC or the like. You switch characters by defeating and then absorbing them, giving you limited time with their move set. Dear departed Nathan interviewed developers ACE Team (also of Zeno Clash) before release.

City builder Banished also got the nod from you fine folks at 75% off. It’s a historic city-builder, taking a tribe of medievalish exiles and building them into a strong and wealthy nation. It’s quite interested in making you understand how easy death comes to human beings without food and fuel and slightly less in giving you a nice town filled with happiness and joy. Alec frowned at his starving populace in his review.

Tomorrow: day 9 brings my computer back to life in a new abode. What adventures await? Until then!

1. Horg says:

4X fans who haven’t gotten Age of Wonders 3 yet, the base game, deluxe edition content and both DLCs are currently £22.49. Absolute bargain, especially with the Eternal Lords DLC which breathes new life into the game. Two new races, new campaign, new tile sets for the map generator, new win conditions, new items, new hero class, random events in scenarios and improved AI. Unfortunately, if you want the DLC separately, it’s only 33% off and probably wont get any cheaper for a long time.

• Horg says:

Edit: Risen 3 complete bundle is 75% off at £7.24, that would be my second pick of this round.

• Henas says:

How does AoW3’s base game compare to Endless Legend? I’m considering it as it’s only $10 USD but the complete DLC set is $30.

EL is my current 4X darling, but I loved AoW 1&2 back in the day. I recall hearing the AoW3 combat was broken/annoying, has it improved?

• Horg says:

I don’t own EL so can’t help you there, i’m waiting for a complete version. Best place to answer your questions is probably the steam reviews. Unfortunately ”the AoW3 combat was broken/annoying” is a bit too vague to respond to. All I can say is that they have rebalanced the game significantly since it came out, which got positive feedback, and the Eternal Lords expansion has been very well received and adds a ton of content. Maybe an Eternal Lords lets play will be what you need to check out.

• LexW1 says:

Really? I’m a big 4X fan and found Age of Wonders 3 deeply disappointing compared to Endless Legend and even to various Might & Magic games. It just seemed shallow, a bit random, and not very involving.

2. Ejia says:

While I find it odd that Shovel Knight isn’t more heavily discounted, it’s well worth full price (which isn’t much) anyway. We seem to have never gotten a WIT of it, either.

What we did get a WIT of is Rayman: Legumes, which is at 75% off. Oranges is similarly discounted.

3. montorsi says:

Anno 2070 is also quite nice but you do have to have a tolerance for Uplay shenanigans.

• Creeping Death says:

I really couldnt get into Anno 2070, which is a shame as I played and loved 1404. I guess the setting just didnt appeal to me as much?

The upcoming one doesnt have me very excited either :/

4. Lobotomist says:

There is really shameful thing happening with Steam Sale right now.
    ARK is listed as Daily Deal with 17% discount. But its exactly same discount it had since it was released and will have until 22 of this month.

Basically a very front of Steam Summer sale , center of focus on event that gamers wait for whole year, is used as blatant advertizing spot, with no actual offer provided (except maybe some grease money to Steam)

Its already second time in this second sale where Daily Deal spot was used in this way. And I wonder how much integrity Valve lost, to let such low tactic to be employed on most important dates for Steam community.

• wengart says:

I suspect it is a bug in how the daily deals are pushed. For quite a few games they hit the daily deal with their original price displayed but their updated price inside the store, and for a few others their price isn’t immediately updated.

• Lobotomist says:

No. Sadly its not.

And they are allready starting to wipe steam forums from any talk about the issue. So it means they know it, and its intentional.

• datom says:

It seems like it is nothing to do with the developer, who has rushed to offer a free cosmetic.

Much like Depth earlier, where the dev stated it was Steam’s choice to show it after he had asked for one set price all sale, it seems steam/Valve select the discounts they will showcase, presumably in most cases with a lower tariff, and they need to fill a spot they grab a discounted game and stick it in. You can understand unwillingness to have a two-tariff system as why would a purchaser not just refund any sale at the higher price?

• Distec says:

I’m annoyed with it as well. The countdown timers and daily rotations of games on the front page are a misleading presentation if you’re showcasing games that aren’t really on sale or are no lower than their general discounted price throughout the sale event. I know these things always have weird psychological component to them, what with the badges and minigames. But it starts getting really shifty when you’re doing this with the products themselves.

• Bishop149 says:

I noticed this too.
      On the first day of the sale I checked my wishlist and most of it was discounted to some degree.
      Later on in the sale some of those games popped up as daily or flash deals. . . . . with exactly the same discount they’d had on day one. I’d call shenanigans on the sale, I’m pretty sure all the timers etc represent is “What steam choose to highlight on the front page today!!” I’ thought I’d check a big AAA release, Farcry 4 . . . still 40% off, exactly as it was at the beginning, exactly as it was when it was “daily” deal.

5. Stepout says:

I’m happy as I’ve been waiting for them to drop Castlevania: Lords of Shadow Ultimate edition down to -75%. Fun times will be had.

6. Tacroy says:

if you were ever waffling about Distant Worlds: Universe but balked at the price tag, it’s half off now in a flash sale. It’s worth every penny at full price, so it’s doubly worthwhile half off.

tigerfort says:

I’ll recommend “Gemcraft – Chasing Shadows” to anyone who likes tower defense games. You can play it (and the rest of the series) on armorgames for free, but they’re good enough that I’m happy to give the developer money to go on making them. (You get a handful of extra levels and a couple of other bonuses in the paid-for version, as an incentive, but honestly I’d pay just to make sure I get the next one…)

8. shutter says:

Life is Strange isn’t 50% off, it’s only 20% off. Only the first episode’s inflated standalone price is 50% off, both the Episode 2-5 and 1-5 bundles are only 20%.

• caff says:

It’s an AWESOME game. So far it’s my GOTY. 20% off… 50% off… it doesn’t matter, for 13 quid for the whole series it’s a steal. I’d pay £13 for just the first two episodes.

• Ben Barrett says:

Whoops, my bad, I go into auto-pilot once I’m entering all the numbers. Fixed now.

9. Tom Hadas says:

Yay!
    I’ve been waiting since the sale started to buy Life is Strange!
    So glad it is finally on sale!

10. KaiUno says:

That’ll sure come in handy during the Steam Sale!

11. Person of Interest says:

Freedom Planet, a retro platformer in the Genesis/Mega Drive style, is 70% off for the next… 43 hours. There’s a generous demo available on the Steam store page. I thought the demo was a delight, even if fast-paced platformers are a bit outside of my comfort zone (and being firmly in the Nintendo camp during the cartridge console era).

12. sairas says:

So Dead state never got better, right? AoW III it is then.

• melancholicthug says:

The newer reviews say it’s become a much better game. I’m torn, not sure if i’ll get it now or wait.

13. Jalan says:

I finally broke and bought Broken Sword IV (the “shite” one) and Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines when they went on flash deals. I don’t know why I bought Broken Sword IV… mostly due to the OCD need to have my funds at a round number and it being the exact price on the deal to make that happen and possibly some slight curiosity to see if it’s as bad as everyone seems to suggest strongly that it is.

14. Raoul Duke says:

Really underwhelmed with the sales this year. Far too many 20%ish discounts, far too few AAA games at properly interesting prices.

• Jalan says:

I particularly like how there’s a sale on all Batman Arkham titles but there’s no discount on Origins’ DLC, despite the fact that what was it, weeks or so, all of it was discounted. Origins being the blacksheep of the Arkham titles (and a bug ridden one at that) might make it mean less to some but it’s just stupid not to have the DLC on sale again during an actual big sale. I guess it’s WB’s way of flipping customers the bird after the crummy reception it got after launch and them saying in a not-so-subtle fashion “Buy Arkham Knight instead!”

15. Gaughranorama says:

So some games featured on the main page are shown as being discounted Less than they are on their store page? Hope I didn’t miss any thing worthwhile ’cause to be honest this sale I’ve just glanced at the front page and walked of unimpressed. It’s been over a week now and Sir, You are Being Hunted is the only thing I’ve picked up.

16. burth says:

Hammerwatch is a fun retro co-op hack&slash (not sure how fun it is solo) currently on a flash sale. I got it from some Humble Bundle quite a while a go and had fun playing it with friends, and recently they even released a rather large second campaign as a free upgrade.

17. derbefrier says:

Thinking about getting Oni and the Blind Forrest. Looks like a good metroidvania and reviews seem to be nothing but positive.