Meet Your Guardian In Gigantic’s E3 Trailer

Gigantic [official site] wants to be the next big eSport, which sounds ridiculous until you discover that James Phinney, lead designer of both StarCraft and Guild Wars, is leading the team behind it. Speaking reductively, Gigantic is a MOBA without any lanes or items and with colossal creatures to fight alongside and an emphasis on third-person shooting. Every skill is a skillshot. It’s also gorgeous with some fantastic animation, as you can see in the E3 trailer.

Pip chatted with Phinney about the game back in December, so check that out if you’re after more info. The unique selling point here is the giant guardian creature that act as kind of a mobile base. You’ll need to protect it from the enemy team, but it can also charge into battle with you and put a dent in the opposing guardian’s skull. It’s a pretty fascinating idea which, when coupled with the great art style, makes for a very appealing prospect.

If you agree, you’ll want to sign up to the beta which starts in August. For that, you’ll need Windows 10, which arrives on July 29th and does offer free upgrades from Win 7 and 8.1.

1. arienette says:

Looks good, but the Windows 10 thing might be a killer. Multiplayer games live and die on their playerbase, it’s going to be a huge artificial restriction on that potential.

• AndreiCristian90 says:

I agree. Forcing people to play this game only on Windows 10 is like signing your own death sentence. I’m using Windows 8.1 at the moment, and I don’t see myself changing to Windows 10 when it launches this Summer. I’ll look into it after Microsoft announces how much it’s going to cost to keep your Windows 10 after its first year of free usage. But yeah, the game does look interesting, and the colour palette, although cartoon’ish, looks pretty cool.

Harlander says:

From MS’s EVP of OSs:

We announced that a free upgrade for Windows 10 will be made available to customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 who upgrade in the first year after launch. This is more than a one-time upgrade: once a Windows device is upgraded to Windows 10, we will continue to keep it current for the supported lifetime of the device – at no cost.

• baozi says:

Unless something has changed recently, AFAIK it’s not free for a year but free forever; it’s just that you have to upgrade within a year.

As far as I’m concerned (and also because I only run Windows for gaming), because it’s a free, I’m definitely going to upgrade, and I think a lot of others are going to as well – so the Windows 10 exclusivity thing might not be as limiting as previous version number exclusivenesses.

• arienette says:

Well, that’s the thing, I’m not having a go at Windows 10 here, but I do wonder if many people will actually bother to upgrade.

• Kitsunin says:

I find it doubtful. Anyone with a PC capable of gaming (and therefore windows 7 or 8) can freely upgrade to 10. Every indication and opinion I’ve seen thus far indicates that you would need to be a fool not to, set in your silly ways just because you can’t deal with very, very slight change. Though admittedly it’s not out yet.

• Xzi says:

It’s a silly restriction none the less, but I’m sure Microsoft is paying them something to make it Win10 exclusive. I hope that doesn’t diminish its popularity, because Gigantic seems like the best of the “shooter MOBAs” between it, Overwatch, and Battleborn.

Godwhacker says:

This, Battleborn and Overwatch are looking extremely similar. Cartoony graphics, a random collection of ‘diverse’ characters, three-sylable, single-word names, MOBA-lite gameplay, etc etc- they’re all going for Team Fortress 2 meets Dota.

3. Assirra says:

When watching the trailer
    “holy shit this looks cool”
    Then i found out it was a moba
    “sigh, pass”

I am really starting to get tired of these fake trailers all these moba’s throw out.

• Kitsunin says:

It’s not really a moba, not like you’re thinking. It’s a third person shooter (or melee-er) where each character has several cooldown-based skills and an ultimate which charges through fighting. You level up, allowing you to add upgrades to your skills, by killing other players, and finally you kill their giant monster thing to win.

• Kitsunin says:

The trailer is fully gameplay from a camera perspective, honestly I’m tempted to just say F you because for some reason your comment really ticked me off, jumping so massively to conclusions and then being all condescending about it.

4. oyog says:

Ah, so this is the big, big love Kim was going on about.

5. Hypocee says:

Doesn’t Heroes of the Storm have a mode like this where you’re leveling up a golem to fight the enemy golem? Is it any good?

• Kitsunin says:

Well, on one of its maps you can collect skulls to make a golem push more powerfully. It’s completely different though because the only purpose of the golem is to push and die.

Heroes is good, and people who’ve played Gigantic at cons generally say it’s great.