Kingdom Come’s Storm Of Cryengine-Powered Swords

This looks like people actually fighting. Like, properly clobbering each other with swords and boots and such. Whatever else successfully Kickstarted (and its own subsequent campaign, which combined has brough in well over $2m) medial RPG Kingdom Come: Deliverance [official site] ends up doing well or poorly, it’s gone to town on solid-looking, crunchy animation.

Warhorse’s Cryengine-powered magic’n’monster-free sandbox roleplayer has ‘straight to the top of the Steam charts’ written all over it, whatever it ends up playing like. Brutal combat, freedom of movement and conscious aversion to fantasy tends to turn up on lot of folks’ wishlists. Doesn’t hurt that it’s quite the looker, too.

Purportedly it’s going to have multi-solution quests and not just highly technical combat, but it’s hard to get much sense of that stuff yet. This being E3 week, the focus right now is on men fighting to the accompaniment of epic and dramatic music, although there is a bit where some chickens wander around calmly. It sort looks a bit like Winterfell Before The Lannisters Popped By Simulator all told, which I am certainly down with. The only bit I recoiled from was the lockpicking minigame. Here is my design solution for lockpicking minigames: don’t have them.

Anyway, watch this:

That does look good. Maybe even very good? I hope so.

No firm release date yet, but post-kickstarter funding is still open and closing in on the $2.5m milestone. If you want to get involved you can get alpha access starting at $50.

1. jasta85 says:

A game in a similar situation to star citizen. It will be amazing when it comes out, we’re just going to have to wait quite a bit before that happens

2. Jimmy Butler says:

My most anticipated game of 2016.

3. KillahMate says:

I have no idea how they did this for $2 million, or even $4 million for that matter – it looks like a proper big budget triple-a game.

• onodera says:

Eastern European prices. (Yes, I know Czechs hate to be called that.)

• Dizrupt says:

Do you even geography?

• USER47 says:

Western Europe/Central Europe is pretty much arbitrary distinction, nobody is right or wrong in that. As a western slavic nation culturaly tied more to Germany and Austria than to the eastern countries we usualy don’t consider ourselves living in Eastern Europe, but for a Brit or Frenchman we are as much eastern as Ukrainians…It’s just a matter of perspective, no reason to argue about that.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Czech is either Western, Central or Eastern depending on whether you look at history/culture, geography, or politics (aka recent history). Being forced into the Russian sphere of influence after the war was what put them in “Eastern Europe” by most people’s definitions.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Anyone with a decent amount of education, and a map, can see this is a bit strange :)

Also, living in Vienna, I’m in quite a bit further east than most Czechs are but still in “Western Europe”!

• LordCrash says:

They have secured private fundings (just money, they still have 100% creative control) on top of the kickstarter money. Actually the kickstarter money is less than 20% of the overall budget.

4. Penguin_Factory says:

This still seems way too good to be true.

5. Vandelay says:

I backed this when it was on Kickstarter and have access to the pre-Alpha or whatever it is build. It does look quite lovely, although close ups of things look a bit janky, I am sure that is just down to it still being a ways off. Runs a bit shitty on my aging hardware too (i5 2500 and 2gb 6950,) which has put me off delving too much into it.

Still, if it lives up to the promises, this could be something very special.

6. Paul says:

They have funding by an investor, the money form kickstarted was to prove to him there is actually interest from gamers, since publishers passed on it.

7. duns4t says:

16 sq km sounds a bit small – would hope an open-world game to be 10 times that size, even if some of the areas are not as lush or detailed owing to budget constraints.

• onodera says:

That’s 16 sq.km of real landscape, so it will take you at least 15 minutes of real time to cross the map east to west on a trotting horse. Witcher 3 has a map that looks bigger, but it still can be crossed in 20 minutes or so, because everything is much smaller that in real life and is hidden behind a strategically placed knoll.

The developers of Kingdom Come had a blog post where they described their hatred of overcompressed landscape.

• USER47 says:

16sq kilometres doesn’t sound that great, but it depends on how it’s done. Lots of open world games have smaller worlds.

Check out this blog, it’s quite funny and it shows they are taking the landscape design quite seriously:
      link to warhorsestudios.cz

• Havalynii says:

Given the size of the team and the budget, I understand them having a smaller map. I’m actually interested in how much they can pack into it; it’s appealing to me to think that it’s small enough that I could actually come to know it really well-that will make it feel much more like I’m defending (attacking?) a place that I care about. For larger-scale warfare, I’m waiting for M&B 2.

8. martyr1777 says:

Yet another game Bethesda needs to sit up and take notice of how to do things right… Elder Scrolls setting with this kind of detail and real world feeling would be SSOO much better.

9. IaIaFhtagn says:

The lockpicking minigame is less awful than at least some of the games that use it, although a pain in the arse. I’ve enjoyed tinkering with the beta, though, and I’m looking forward to more people getting into it. At the minute the Reddit forum consists of about 5 maniacs…

10. Stevostin says:

That looks bloody incredible. What those guy seems to be pulling off with a fraction of a big gun company seems nothing short of incredible. Lots of things seems to be set to define a new standard in RPG in that vid.

11. Carlos Danger says:

Not sure why a low fantasy game would show such disdain for high fantasy. I mean it looks good I just don’t see the need to get on a pedestal.

• mejoff says:

There might be any number of reasons. However, there is a part of me that suspects it will be ‘so realistic that you can’t play as a woman and no women will be fighters and there might even be some rape in there’.

• Darth Grabass says:

I don’t really think it can be classified as “low fantasy” when there is no actual fantasy at all. It’s supposed to be entirely historically accurate.

• Hedgeclipper says:

for a game claiming to be historically accurate it doesn’t look like they bothered doing much research on sword vs heavy armour

• IaIaFhtagn says:

How do you mean?

• Mezzo says:

You can’t cut plate armor with a sword; instead a knight would use more advanced fencing techniques like pommel strikes (which they did do a little at the end), half-swording (holding the blade with your free hand and using it as a lever to drive the point through a weak spot more easily), murder-striking (holding the blade with both hands and using the crossguard and pommel as a striking hammer), or wrestling his opponent to the ground and finishing them off with a dagger.

• USER47 says:

Mezzo: Which is pretty much what they do…fights with armored oponents will be based on stamina, you will have to tire your oponent and then finish him in some way, they are well aware you can’t easily cut through armor.

• IaIaFhtagn says:

@Mezzo: that’s what I thought you meant, but I’m pretty certain from the trailer that any damage taken in full armour is stunning (from experience, being hit on a helmet you’re wearing with a sword can be really disorienting) or with a pommel strike shown toward the end. They do seem to have a very solid understanding of the techniques, and I’ve definitely seen something with half swording…

• JamesTheNumberless says:

Good points here. In Medieval warfare if you were fully armored you were nearly invincible unless you ended up getting isolated and out-numbered. This is one reason why crossbows were so hated, since they could punch through armor.

12. Chiron says:

Neat, but those guys in full plate should really be half swording.

Wonder if the guys working on CLANG! can send them some times…

13. SlimShanks says:

Two tickets for the hype train, please.

14. derbefrier says:

This looks great.

15. zat0ichi says:

It’s very pretty. The alpha is jaw dropping visually.
    It’s going to be released on consoles I cannot believe it will look the same.
    Those battle scenes are going to be hard to pull off. AI and shear volume of pretty polygons.

16. Mr_Blastman says:

But will the combat be as deep and detailed as Chivalry: Medieval Warfare?