Need For Speed Reboot Looks Pretty And Fast

Look, I don’t like cars and cars don’t like me. Having said that, the new Need For Speed [official site] reboot is looking really, really pretty. I can appreciate a fine looking game, even if I can’t drive for toffee. Below you’ll find the E3 trailer. It’s all shiny paint and blinding headlights and urban fantasy. In a good way.

If you missed seeing the gameplay footage shown during EA’s press conference this week, make sure you check that out too. There are some impressive FMV to gameplay transitions among as it shows off the range of customisation options for your car. Which I guess is a driving game’s version of character creation? I’ll probably roll a Car-jit, personally.

After customisation, there’s some actual driving gameplay. It bears repeating just how impressive this game looks, visually. Judge for yourself as you watch the video below.

The game’s due on November 3rd.

1. Prolar Bear says:

FMV? Drifting?

Sighs.

Grizzly says:

Fellow ursine! It’s NFS Underground 2! With cops! And a Porsche 911 Carrera RSR 3.0! What more do you want in life?

(I know it’s making EA and Porsche to drop their exclusive license agreement)

• Kollega says:

Tell me more about that last part. Does it mean that Porsche cars may start appearing in other racing games?

• SlimShanks says:

Just for suggesting such hogwash you’ll get double the number of RUF’s! Bwahahahahahahahaha!

• peterako1989 says:

Well, for starters no online requirement and features optimised for solo play.

2. Troubletcat says:

I love how much this reminds me of NFSU2. Nostalgia activated.

However, I’ve really hated the way every recent entry in the franchise that I’ve played (Hot Pursuit remake, Most Wanted remake, Rivals) has felt overall. It’s hard to tell from the trailer one way or another (especially since it’s a drift race), but I just really hope they make it feel more like NFSU2/MW (first one) in terms of handling.

• Nereus77 says:

I loved the handling of NFSU and NFSU2. Even Most Wanted was ‘kay (actually it was pretty awesome), but things seriously took a nosedive with Carbon and the franchise has not yet recovered.

Good night, sweet prince…
      *Lays wreath upon a grave marked with an NFS numberplate on its gravestone*

3. SuicideKing says:

If the camera wouldn’t swing like that and they cut out those cutscenes, I may just play this.

4. the_r says:

They’ve already confirmed that it’s only one of the options, there will be fixed cameras too.

5. plugav says:

They’re rebooting it? But I was playing it for the lore!

6. XhomeB says:

That’s what they call a grand “return to the roots”? Because I recall the first games (NFS, NFS2&SE, NFS3, Porsche) being all about wonderful environments, “sexeh” cars and great atmosphere. Not neons, dark alleys, yo baby yo gangsta attitude. That was Underground.

It sure LOOKS very nice though, I’ll give them that. By the way, didn’t they say the game will require constant internet connection to work? No sale if that’s the case.

• Troubletcat says:

I think so few people played those early games compared to Underground/Underground 2 that they now just pretend those games never happened. Which is sad. NFS3: Hot Pursuit and Hot Pursuit 2 (which I think was the last one before Underground happened? Don’t quote on that) were the first 2 games in the franchise I played, and while I like Underground 2 and Most Wanted a lot, they do lack a certain charm from those earlier titles.

• stoner says:

I agree with your assessment about the NFS:HP and NFS:HP2. I much prefer the open environments of those. As for TroubleCat’s comment that “so few people played those games”…where did you get that info? I call complete and utter B.S. Maybe YOU didn’t play those games much, but it was because a LOT of people played those games funded development of the NFS:U games which followed.

• Troubletcat says:

Compared to Underground/Underground 2. Compared to. I played them alot, and as I said, I think it’s a kind of shame that some of the charm from those games was lost.

Same thing happened with CoD. Loads and loads of people played CoD 1 and 2, but the explosion of popularity that came with CoD 4 means those earlier games are now marginalised. I think the same thing happened with NFS. It was always quite a successful series, but there was a huge expansion of it’s popularity with Underground and especially Underground 2.

7. Kollega says:

Well, it looks like car customization is going to be decently robust this time around. Say what you want, but I effing loved Underground 2 and its wide variety of options. I’m not exactly itching to get in line to buy this one because of EA’s “purchase of the game is just the initial investment” attitude these days, but we’ll see.

8. iainl says:

Apparently, the real-life arseholes do it, too, so I guess that’s why it’s in the game. But why customise the look of your vehicle so it can be instantly recognised as uniquely yours, and then deliberately act in a way that’s going to draw the attention of the Police? It just seems remarkably stupid.

“Yes, we can afford to spend a fortune on custom neon paint jobs. But a track day is way out of the budget.”

• Kollega says:

I think that’s the entire point. It’s like when in teenage superhero stories, the local bullies pick on someone who can set things on fire with their mind because that someone is “such a weirdo”. Playing with fire to show off how “badass” you are, so to speak.

9. rekedens says:

I’m a huge fan of cars, and I love the drift/stance scene.

10. trjp says:

I’m calling ‘mild bullshit’ on the “in engine” nature of the footage – take a good hard look at NFS: Rivals (same developer targetting last-gen consoles) and you’ll notice there’s a MASSIVE MASSIVE leap in the visuals – I’m not buying it.

If that’s “In-engine” it’s “in-engine on a mega-PC and all that camera shake is disguising many many ills”

Also – they’re talking about this as a mandatory-online which will deter a few folks I’m sure – we can only hope it’s at least a HOSTED online, because Rivals was peer-hosted, you played on other people’s “world” and you had to ‘transition’ everytime someone quit or got disconnected which was VERY OFTEN (yes, you could switch to single-player but it defaulted to the horrible shared online thing and the single player option is quite well buried in the menus!!)

• Eight Rooks says:

Yeah, it… looks a bit too good to be true, to be honest. Not only that, but I thought it felt both visually stunning and yet borderline unplayable with all the camera shake, blur and neon everywhere, and I say that as someone who really, really wishes more PC racing games let you cover your ride in decals and throbbing purple lights. I was seriously struggling to follow what was going on, and while I am an Old, sort of, I don’t think my eyes have failed me quite yet.

• Barberetti says:

“mandatory-online”

Thanks for that. Saved me the bother of having to Google it, and also means I can ignore everything about this game from now on.

• Nereus77 says:

Bingo, and stuff.

My suspicion is that this game will suck and will not stand up to the holy grail that is NFSU1. But, you know, time will tell.

11. AndreiCristian90 says:

Why does EA insist on creating a plot for their NFS titles? I mean, can’t we just get a game without the horrible telenovela story? I just want to play a racing game; if it has split-screen then it gets more bonus points in my book, and I’ll definitely buy it.

Yeah, it sure does look nice, I can give it that – visually it’s pretty stunning. If EA wants to get back to their roots give us a Most Wanted, the 2005 version – plot wise, it was decent, and one of the most fun racing games I have ever played.

By the way, does anyone know if it supports split-screen?

12. thelastpointer says:

NFS Underground with wet cars? Nice!

13. peterako1989 says:

Dont get too excited. Lets not forget that this is always online and it propably gonna be anemic for players who play solo. Also you can pretty much expect connectivity issues at launch

14. Synesthesia says:

eeeeeeeeew.

Getting Rep? A twitter clone? the phrase “Off The Hook?”

i can’t stop cringing. Jesus, this is going to bomb so hard.

• P.Funk says:

Are you sure? Are you sure you aren’t just totally out of touch with the children?

I’m staring 30 in the face and all I could think through this whole thing is… oh god… have I become irrelevant… do I not know what… cool is anymore?

To quote Principle Skinner, “No… no… its the children who are wrong”.

• SlimShanks says:

I am 21 and this is exactly what my life is like. Yo. Shit’s off the hook. We’ve got nothing to lose, man. We’re all like, take that cops! I wonder where the hell I got the money to buy this car…

15. vahnn says:

God that looked awful.

NFSU 1 and 2 were among my favorite games on the PS2 and I’m pretty sure they weren’t as arcadey as this garbage. Then again, this may have been a “drift attack” mode, and the drift mode in the NFSU games was like a completely different game when you compared the handling of drift mode vs regular races.

Is there going to be a cockpit cam? If not, I won’t be playing this one.

And why the fuck is everything wet in every pic, trailer, and game footage I’ve seen?

16. Serrit says:

“I’ll probably roll a Car-jit”- heh heh. I hear that model’s engine makes a “skoom skoom” noise instead of the traditional “vroom vroom”…

17. liquidsoap89 says:

I haven’t liked the physics (if you can call it that) of the last few NFS games, and this one looks no different. Sure it looks pretty, but if it isn’t fun I’m not interested!

18. SlimShanks says:

Oh my god… what in the name of all that is right and just in the world of motorsport is wrong with that handling!? That honestly looks like how a vehicle moves in Mariokart. But more sloppy. Are there even physics at work here?

19. Jason Moyer says:

You just can’t have the “white people trying to be urban” fantasy of F&F without the meth’d out redneck building cars for you.