Hungry Like The Wolf School In Latest Free Witcher 3 DLC

I’m doing it again and you can’t stop me: I’m posting about a released game during E3 week. Come at me, you nerks; I’ll fight you all.

This time it’s The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site], which deposited its customary weekly drop of new free pellets of content on our gamedoorstep yesterday. Sorry I’m late; I was busy doing video games. Breaking the pellets open, we discover Geralt has a new scavenger hunt quest leading to Wolf School Witcher gear, and Triss gets a glam alternative outfit that I’m sure I’ve seen before on Rick Wakeman.

How awfully glamorous she will look in that get-up with her hessian hood. Shabby chic, yeah? It’s probably vintage.

Geralt, meanwhile, gets a load of chainmail and spikes and other things characteristic of his Witching school. It’s another of those missions where you buy maps then roam the world picking up gear recipes and finding notes explaining why people murdered the Witcher who owned them.

As ever, follow these old instructions to install the DLC on GOG or Steam. Oh aye, they’re small fluffy things, but they’re free and fun enough. The final six free DLC packs are due over the next three weeks.

We also received a small patch this week with hotfix 1.06. What a freebie!

1. gunny1993 says:

… This might tip me towards triss on my next playthough

2. RedViv says:

Always feels weird seeing Triss show anything below her neck, having read the books.
    Is that ever addressed? She was severely scarred after nearly dying at the Battle of Sodden, apparently unremovable scars that magic could not help with due to being the cause of them to begin with.

• jon_hill987 says:

Indeed. I believe the exact words used were “never again would she wear a plunging neckline”.

• RedViv says:

Exactly. Which made her first outfit she shows up in during the tutorial bit in TW1… uuuh… yeah.

• Horg says:

Could be an illusion covering up her torso, something similar to what Lydia van Bredevoort used to cover up the gaping hole in her face. Or maybe the devs just forgot she was supposed to be a bit mangled.

• Assirra says:

Actually that doesn’t work since Triss is ironically allergic to magic.
            She can use magic to her clothes but never effect her directly like an illusion would.

• suibhne says:

I don’t think that’s correct (having just completed the books). She’s allergic to potions, but not to magic in general. She relies on magical amulets for healing and other self-effects, rather than potions.

• jerf says:

It isn’t said anywhere that it’s because of unremovable physical scars. She just said that she wouldn’t wear a plunging neckline “ever again”, but that could have been just due to mental scars (the ones left after the physical scars were removed); these could have healed in time, and she could have changed her perspective.

• islipaway says:

Are the games and the books the same canon? How can they be when you have a fair amount of flexibility in who lives and who dies. I’ve seen people get really irate with others because they don’t know something about a character that’s only presented in the books – not the games. If it’s not in the games (gameplay or backstory presented in game) then in the game universe it either didn’t happen or it’s open to interpretation.

• BlackAlpha says:

Nevermind that, what about staying incognito so that she doesn’t get burned at the stake. How does that new outfit not get her killed?

3. almostDead says:

What is a nerk?

• L3TUC3 says:

You’ll have to visit the antiquary and buy the book on Nerks if you wish to do more damage and harvest any alchemy/crafting ingredients

• frogulox says:

Only a nerk would ask :p

4. BatmanBaggins says:

I was wondering if/when they’d add wolf school witcher gear. Although now they really need to add some sort of item storage. Adding a full wolf set along side my griffin/bear/cat suits is really going to strain my saddle bags, even with the extra roomy ones equipped.

• Jediben says:

I fecking love this game.

• Horg says:

If they don’t release a storage chest before REDKit is released, someone will mod one in. Might even be me, I had an idea for some armour / weapon stands that would store and display whatever you equipped them with. Could probably do the same thing for all those monster trophies you never use, would make a good trophy hall in Kaer Morhen.

• islipaway says:

Ah! This has to happen! Now I wish I hadn’t sold all those books…

• Anaraavi says:

I would like them to create a DLC that will allow us to craft placeable mannequins, weapons cabinets and trophy boards, we can place in our Witcher stronghold. Gives us the ability then to craft and display all armours, weapons and trophies.

5. montorsi says:

You’re not posting about an already released game. You’re posting about one of 16 DLC announced months ago.

Dukey says:

And you’re not just skimming over the headline on the main page. You’re reading the article and commenting on it.

And I’m not just skimming through the comments. I’m reading yours and replying to it. I’m also eating breakfast.

• Synesthesia says:

i am nesting my comment below yours.

• Fushigi says:

Here you see a perfect example of common nerks nest. It usually occupies rainforest riversides and gamer sites comment sections. How marvelous!

gritz says:

Unfortunately they stashed the low-level set of this new armor in an end-game area…

7. angrysimon says:

I’d be far more greatful if they would make the game run the way it did before 1.05 patch. I love the DLC’s but hard to enjoy when the system crashes every 5 minutes.

8. Hitchslapped says:

I absolutely hate this DLC policy. I mean what’s the point?? Every die hard fan has already finished the main story and is most likely either almost done with the second playthrough or roaming the lands as a lvl 70 beast. A big story expansion might draw me back into the game but not all those mini quests or new costumes.

• malkav11 says:

People who have a million hours to play videogames, maybe. I for one just finally finished Witcher 2 this past Sunday and have barely dipped my toes into Witcher 3, so I’m happy to have some content dripfed into the game for free. If it were paid content I might agree with you – I can only too well recall having mid-story DLC added for, say, Deus Ex 3, when I’d already finished the game and had no particular intention of going back. But it’s not, so it’s a nice bonus.

• molamolacolacake says:

Not all the diehard fans. This Witcher fan has a job and no particular desire to rush head long towards the end at the expense of sleep and family. I prefer to savor and explore. I’m pretty in to the DLC drip.

9. malkav11 says:

I would much rather have posts about games that exist right now than a lot of speculative wibble about games that might be coming out in a couple of years, so there’s absolutely no reason to apologize.

10. SlimShanks says:

And in today’s news, redheads continue to be vastly more attractive than anything else ever. This is totally not an opinion.

11. Cinek says:

Anyone can tell me where do you start collecting new, Wolf School, armor set?

• brat-sampson says:

The base level diagrams are strewn around the Kaer Morhen area.

12. Spinkick says:

That robe does not seem like it would work very well