Les Alpes Et Les Pyrénées: Pro Cycling Manager 2015 Out

Pro Cycling Manager 2015 [official site], the latest in the yearly cycling management series (which also goes by the name Tour de France, just to make things more confusing) has launched last night. E3 is always an interesting time to release a game, but something tells me the game’s audience won’t be easily distracted by the bright lights and loud noises coming from LA this week. You guys are hardcore about cycling management.

Look, there’s a launch trailer and everything. Featuring a great many lycra clad buttocks, which I can only assume is the main selling point of the game. As is in keeping with annual sports releases, these are better looking tightly clothed bottoms than in last year’s version. Pro Cycling Manager 2015 also includes a new ProCyclist mode, which lets you create a newbie cyclist and help him becoming a Tour de France tour de force.

You’ll do this through the new rider progress system, which makes its 2015 debut alongside a bunch of other new features like reserve team management and a more extensive scout management system. Like I say, the game is out now, so if cycling management is your bag, go get.

1. moocow says:

But does it include realistic blood doping simulation yet?

• Ross Angus says:

I’m more interested in the buttock physics. If they don’t move right, my suspension of disbelief is destroyed.

• DrHeaton says:

While I’m sure your content was meant to be flippant it raises a real issue. Very few sports games, simulation or otherwise include something which is endemic across sport.

Cycling has a bad rep but there were reports of international footballers have their blood “refreshed” before major championships, tennis has been rumoured to have major drug issue and athletics is riddle with drugs. Yet few games include this whatsoever.

Clearly there would be licencing issues if EA include doping in FIFA16 or the next NFL or NBA games but even smaller unlicensed games avoid the topic.

Whatever else, doping seems like the perfect mechanic for a free to pay game, what could be more pay to win than drugs?

Adam Smith says:

I talked about some of those issues with Miles Jacobson of Sports Interactive a couple of years ago. Not doping, but including the real life undesirable and legally problematic areas that exist around sport.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

“There are other aspects as well, such as hooliganism and match fixing, that are part of the game in real life that we don’t want in Football Manager. Even if we did want to include them, we couldn’t because there are legal ramifications.

It’s not something that I’d like to see in our game because it’s not something that I like to see in the real world. From that perspective, I’m quite glad that it doesn’t occur in our parallel universe. And it’s also perhaps a way that we can help to steer society a little bit. If we did ever have incidents of racism, hooliganism or homophobia in the game, the punishments would be a lot harsher than they are in real life because I believe they should be.”

• Moth Bones says:

Well, you can pay (from team funds) to send your riders to ‘training camps’ where it’s unclear what happens, but they emerge with temporarily boosted stats…

More seriously, I simply don’t see how including doping (and other undesirable elements Jacobson points out) in a sports sim could actually be fun. How could it work? You pay a bit for ‘inducements’ a la Bloodbowl, and there is a percentage chance you might be caught? OK, there’s a decision to be made there, but I’m not convinced it’s an interesting one. A small, random chance that one of your riders/ballplayers might be doping on the sly? That would mean a roll of the dice potentially wiping out what you’d done, which is surely a no-no in this sort of game. And as Jacobson says, all such matters would have to be confined to imaginary regens. Given that you’re liable to have ‘real’ sportsfolk still in your campaign 20-odd years in, this is also a problem.

Anyway, PCM. I really like PCM13 but my biggest issue with it is probably insoluble. The necessary contraction of race distance/pace means that the vital last few km are over in a flash; the game tries to address this by going slomo for the finish, but it doesn’t really work. Don’t try and copy sprint tactics from real cycling because you won’t have time, nor will you be able to indulge in any of the jockeying for position/intermittent attacking/bluff and counter-bluff that usually features in small group finishes (watch the 2014 Ronde van Vlaanderen for a stunning example of this – link to youtube.com).

There are other tactical limitations, but I’ve only really become aware of them through watching a ton of bike racing. Despite what I’ve written above I’d definitely recommend this game, and it actually helped get me into the sport. There are good mods available which add stage race variants too.

2. xyzzy frobozz says:

As much as the appeal might seem niche, these are actually really good games.

There is a deep and detailed management layer, and there is a lot of strategy in race to consider and master in order to be successful.

I’m not a big cycling fan, but the 2014 game really is very good, and actually gave me an appreciation of the sport.

If you’re interested in a break from shooting or conquering, give it a go!

3. OscarWilde1854 says:

I gather it isn’t the point of the game or anything… and I gather that cycling may not be the MOST exciting spectator sport of all time… but that screen shot would be as at home in Day Z as it is in a cycling game.

What unfortunate, mind numbing, disease do those poor spectators have!?

I haven’t seen that many people dressed the same, standing the same, and with the same attitude since the last time I accidentally went into a Starbucks…