Best Steam Summer Sale Deals: Day 9

What are the best Steam Summer Sale deals? Each day for the duration of the sale, we’ll be offering our picks – based on price, what we like, and what we think more people should play. Read on for the five best deals from day 9 of the sale.

I have just moved house. What comes after the box years, the unpacking era and the really very nice long sleep indeed? Why, the sneezing, of course. The endless allergic reactions to everything from new soap to the particular way the glass in my windows was smelted. And carrying things endlessly up stairs to find new spots for them to sit and gather dust until I next move. So I can sneeze when that dust goes up my nose.

What I’m trying to say here is if you buy games when they aren’t at their cheapest (daily deals and such), you’ll be in an even worse spot – poor and leaking fluid from every hold in your face. Don’t let it happen to you!

Today, on World of Dealscraft:

5. Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag

60% off: $15.99 / £6.39 / €7.99, Store page

Closer to the tenth game in the series, Black Flag was something of a surprise in the positive reaction it inspired out of many who thought they were done with the franchise. Coming only with the unfortunate caveat of having to be referred to as “AssFlag,” the addition of ship-based combat and an entire Caribbean seascape to pillage proved a boon to the series’ formula. Alec made appreciable noises at everything except uPlay upon release and then followed it up with more later.

4. Just Cause 2

80% off: $2.99 / £1.99 / €2.99, Store page

The now five year old explosion simulator is still the most fun it’s possible to have with a grappling hook and two passenger airlines. With the sequel incoming and looking at least as destructive, air-drop yourself into Rico Rodriguez’s last regime-toppling murder spree. In the name of freedom, of course. Graham had a look at the multiplayer mod in its early stages, and here’s John not looking at explosions.

3. Resident Evil 4

66% off: $6.79 / £5.09 / €6.79, Store page

The series’ highest moment, shortly followed by some of its lowest. It’s far more action orientated than its origins though manages to keep the sense of threat through masses of enemies and the odd terrifying snake-headed cultist. The HD edition improved over the previous attempt to port the game to PC and, for example, makes using a mouse and keyboard actually possible – though it’s recommended more awkward pad-aiming is used as it’s part of the atmosphere of panic. Rich Stanton gave it the full love when it released last year.

2. Fallout: New Vegas Ultimate Edition

50% off: $6.79 / £4.99 / €6.79, Store page

Recommending the “and DLC” version of Obsidian’s Fallout 3 spin-off here because most of the mods seem to require them, particularly those that improve general play experience. Whether this or the also-on-deal base game is your best bet for a good time is entirely up to your preference – people will vehemently attack or defend both in equal measure. Richard Cobbett covered the best of the DLCs in his review.

1. The Stanley Parable

75% off: $3.74 / £2.49 / €2.99, Store page

Straight up one of the best games ever made and unlike almost anything else out there. A triumph of performance by narrator Kevan Brighting as much as it is one of game and narrative design. You play Stanley, a worker at an unnamed company who one day decides to escape/sit at his desk forever/jump out the window/play Minecraft. Depending on what you’d like him to do, of course. Here’s Nathan’s wonderful in-theme review and John’s interview with the pair of developers after their sudden thrust into stardom. It’s also recommended you play the demo which is an entirely different story told in the same way.

From the comments yesterday, there was some noise around Age of Wonders 3 at 75% off. It’s a fantasy 4X in the style of Endless Legend – think elves, goblins and dragons on top of the usual city building and empire managing – but with an RPG slant. Unfortunately it’s complete collection which includes DLC and some other goodies is discounted ‘only’ 50%. Adam loved it on initial release and it has been patched significantly since then.

Anno 2070 also turned a few heads at 75% off. With its follow-up recently announced this is a good time to get into the futuristic city-builder. Worried about that mixed rating on the Steam reviews? Most of the negative ones are taking issue with the required use of uPlay, on which your mileage may vary. Personally I’ve had more issues with Steam crashing and/or hard-locking my PC, but have also used Steam approximately 100,000% more. It also has further 3rd party DRM TAGES, which by all accounts is a bit nastier than we’re used to here in the second half of the decade. There’s a demo if Jim’s positive review isn’t enough.

That’s your lot. Tomorrow: the best offerings from the final day of GOG’s summer sale, plus the usual roundup from Steam. Also, I’ll have to come up with something else to talk about in the intro. Maybe Batman.

1. Eight Rooks says:

Personally Resident Evils go 6 -> Revelations 2 (so far) -> 4 -> Code Veronica for me, and then I don’t care about the rest. 5 loses points for near-unworkable co-op AI and absolute tone-deafness. Revelations would probably be at the bottom. (I’ve never played the dreaded Raccoon City.) But I’m aware I’m in a distinct minority. Still, 6 really, really does not deserve a fraction of the kicking it gets – sorry, “It’s not exactly the same as all the other games!” is not a good argument – and Revelations 2 is a staggering improvement over the first spinoff’s pathetic storytelling and boring level design.

• subedii says:

Revelations 2 has what I’d call flat out the most Resident Evil of Resident Evil endings. In a good way.

I couldn’t understand why some reviews slated the ending whilst others lauded it, until I read up on it and found out there are actually two endings.

We’ll nominally call them “good” and “bad”, but honestly, I felt both are fitting for the game. That said, if you want the AWESOME ending, here’s a slight spoiler:

In Chapter 3, there’ll be a boss fight that ends in a QTE where you can use either Moira or Claire to end it (Claire will be pinned under the boss, Moira will be crawling). USE MOIRA.

Honestly, I thought that was the obvious choice at the time, but apparently a lot of people thought different.

In general, I really liked Revelations 2, but I honestly think the “episodic” release was a dumb idea (IIRC all or almost all of the episodes were complete on launch anyway). Personally I think it would have worked better in the more linear ‘old-skool’ style (Claire/Moira Disc 1, Barry/Natalia Disc 2).

• subedii says:

Also: Bonus points for the fact that they actually did a decent job of tying the game around the Kafka theme. I wasn’t expecting them to manage that.

2. LTK says:

For the best stick figure kung fu action to ever grace the screen, you should definitely pick up One Finger Death Punch. It’s already budget-level price has been cut by 75%.

• Enfuego says:

I second that. I didn’t know I liked rhythm games until I was grabbing people’s hearts out, pinning them against walls with arrows and throwing them into the fourth wall within a rhythm game framework. One Finger Death Punch is probably second only to Minecraft in terms of price to life life wasted correlation.

• Banyan says:

Thirded. One Finger Death Punch is everything that it should be and nothing that it shouldn’t. I can’t remember the last time I laughed so hard playing a video game. There’s a reason it’s currently the highest rated of all games on Steam, and it’s a buck and quarter right now.

3. theslap says:

“1. The Stanley Parable
    Straight up one of the best and most unique games ever made”

Seriously? I mean… seriously?

• LionsPhil says:

Opinions, man. Opinions.

• gunny1993 says:

Calm down Raphael, some of us aren’t as logical and emotional as you

• caff says:

It’s an enjoyable diversion.

• Ben Barrett says:

I think that’s one of the least controversial things I’ve ever written.

• subedii says:

“Typed Ben Barret. He wasn’t entirely sure what else he could say.

“Just then, Ben realised that he was on the internet, and there was always going to be someone who disagreed with him. At which point Ben thought “Forget this”, turned off his computer, and left his home to go get some ice cream.

“But which flavour would Ben choose?”

• Canadave says:

Well, “most unique” is technically redundant, so there is that. But otherwise I agree with you.

• Ben Barrett says:

You know what, you’re right, that’s terrible wording and I’ve altered it.

• Doomstar says:

Actually ‘unique’ isn’t as binary as you might be thinking. It’s a common fallacy as there are degrees of uniqueness.

If something is unique within a set of ten different objects it is less unique than an object that is unique within a set of a hundred things. Both might be unique within their own set but when the sets are compared one object is more unique than the other.

I have no idea how unique the Stanley parable might be within the sets of things, computer games or walk-’em-ups but I just thought I’d mention it.

• australopithecus says:

But most usage doesn’t specify any set, implying at a minimum that the object is unique within the area being discussed. Most of the time the word “unique” is simply misused instead of “unusual” or “special”.

Almost as annoying as seeing the completely redundant phrase “going forward” being tacked on to every second sentence. Bah, the decline and devolution of the Queen’s English. ;)

• SomeDuder says:

oh come on youve played blizzard games. call it purple, yellow or blue

• Sir Buildbot Winslave says:

Ah, yes, “going forward”. It’s the phrase that lets me crave for the license to kill. Would that every lung expelling such fetor be punctuated with a 9mm interrobang.

• Pazguato says:

You’re right. Greaaaaaaatly exaggerated.

4. caff says:

Fallout New Vegas has been in my library for yonks but I’ve never played it past the first couple of hours. Should I reinstall it?

Skabooga says:

Well, it definitely gets much better and opens up after about hour 3 or 4. I definitely spent more time in New Vegas than I did in Fallout 3, but I think I spent even more time in Skyrim, if that gives you any sort of measuring stick.

• Vandelay says:

I have actually never played it, despite owning it for ages. I bought it at the same time as Fallout 3 and just never got around to it. I actually went to pick up the DLC earlier this evening, in the hope that it might encourage me to play it, only to find I had actually already tried that 2 years ago.

• Ejia says:

Yes, Despite the obvious railroading at the beginning, it is better in almost every way than FO3.

• Ginsoakedboy21 says:

A thousand times yes. Possibly my favourite game ever, certainly the only game of this scope I have completed three times. Despite that, I still watch lets plays and am staggered about how flexible the game is, you can push decision trees to their limits and change how almost everything plays out. Even the DLC is bloody great.

• caff says:

Blimey, you have me convinced. I found the first section tedious. I’ll get right on it.

• Werthead says:

The opening to New Vegas is pretty abominable. The starting town is dull, if you wander more than five yards off the road you’re likely to be attacked by hordes of giant wasps of death (the cazadore, also known as this decade’s answer to cliff racers) and it’s a fairly linear road up to Vegas itself. However, the first few side-quests you bump into outside the town are pretty good and the game gets progressively more complex, nuanced and clever as you get to the city, until it massively outshines FO3.

I particularly love the fact that all of your companion characters have their own backstories, associated quests and personalities, and will leave or attack you if you do something really heinous and against their ideals. Bafflingly, it’s something Bethesda never replicated for Skyrim.

It’s also incredibly funny (especially once you install the Old World Blues DLC). And it has Michael Dorn in it. You have to work a bit at it, but it’s incredibly good.

• InternetBatman says:

I would disagree with the fairly linear part. It’s only linear if you follow the road. You can join the explosive gang, cut across the desert, or sneak past the cazadors (slowly).

• Rizlar says:

Erm, Bethesda did replicate it in Skyrim. Followers will attack you if you steal stuff or kills innocents, depending on their personality.

On the other hand, I didn’t realise Michael Dorn was in it. Kahpla!

• Horg says:

Perhaps it IS a good day to die! REINSTALL!

5. binkbenc says:

Not quite Steamy, but in recognition of the 200th anniversary of Waterloo, Humble have Napoleon Total War on sale for 2 quid from their website.

6. Horg says:

All Serious Sam content, 90% off. Just remember, Serious Sam 2 does not exist. If you see a store page linking you to Serious Sam 2, it’s probably a trap. Filled with bears. The bears are also lawyers. Don’t risk it.

• vorador says:

It cannot be stressed enough. I made the error of buying it and my parents disowned me, the aforementioned bears ate my dog, my hamster and my left hand and i’m now living under a bridge, smooching public wifi on a damaged Blackberry Playbook and surviving off eating pizza hut cardboard packages and the bottom residue of Starbucks cups.

Do not buy this game.

7. Flavour Beans says:

If you want to see the wonkiness of international games pricing, just take a look at the prices listed here.

Based on the various games’ prices…
    1 USD = 0.63 GBP or 0.88 EUR, at most recent conversion rates.
    1 USD = 0.40 GBP or 0.50 EUR, for Assassin’s Creed 4.
    1 USD = 0.67 GBP or 1.00 EUR, for Just Cause 2.
    1 USD = 0.75 GBP or 1.00 EUR, for Resident Evil 4.
    1 USD = 0.73 GBP or 0.37 EUR, for Fallout: NV.
    1 USD = 0.67 GBP or 0.80 USD, for Stanley Principle.

• Ben Barrett says:

the Black Flag pricing is especially weird

though I had the FO:NV Euro price wrong, it’s actually 1:1 with the USD

8. Distec says:

Might be worth pointing out that the mixed reviews for Anno 2070 may have to do with more than just UPlay. It also comes with the TAGES DRM which is a bit more nefarious.

It was brought to my attention in one of the previous Steam Sale reviews here on RPS, and the game’s steam page clearly mentions it. I think it’s major enough that the article could use an update to inform people.

9. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Goat Simulator is worth the very low asking price. It’s fun and funny.

10. Continuity says:

Project Cars was the stand out buy for me. 50% was more than i expected to see so soon.

11. wu wei says:

If anyone else is just after Saints Row IV + all of the DLC rather than the entire-franchine-except-Gat-Out-of-Hell bundle, there’s a “Game of the Century Upgrade Pack” containing all of the DLC for USD$2.49. It’s listed on either the store page for IV or the sale page for Saints Row, you need to go to a store page for any of IV’s DLC to see it.

12. Rizlar says:

No link to the quintessential (geddit) RPS review of F:NV?

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• Jenks says:

Perhaps the only honest thing ever said regarding Obsidian on this site.

13. malkav11 says:

I wouldn’t describe Fallout 3 as the “base game” of Fallout: New Vegas. They’re completely separate full-sized games with different developers and philosophies. But yes, some people prefer one over the other. I think New Vegas is better myself, but they’re both incredibly good and worthwhile as far as I’m concerned.

Today’s been fairly underwhelming overall, but there’s still some decent discounts (on stuff I already own, but hey).

Expiring flash deals:
    Broken Age for $10
    Limbo for $2.50 (fantastic game, if short, but hey, $2.50)
    Orcs Must Die 2 for slightly under $4 (great for coop)
    Icewind Dale Extended Edition for roughly $7 (not the masterpiece that BGII is, but still pretty great if you like tactical D&D combat)
    And the second Blazblue for $15 (not amazing, but hey, it’s at least 50% off)

Current flash deals:
    Ultimate General: Gettysburg for $4-ish (apparently a really good real time wargame)
    Titan Quest Gold for $4 (fantastic ARPG, if getting a bit old)
    Men of War Assault Squad 2 for $6 (supposedly really good if you like skirmish play in RTSes. Which I do not.)
    Everything Max Payne for about $9
    Space Hulk Ascension for around $5 (if you own the previous Space Hulk, $10 if you don’t) – supposedly a large improvement over the original.

…honestly nothing that exciting in the daily deals proper, at least that hasn’t already been mentioned. Some of the really old Assassin’s Creed games are cheap but the recent ones have been and/or are cheaper elsewhere, like Amazon.

14. Jalan says:

If I hadn’t already bought The Stanley Parable at full price a time ago, I’d be buying it now. Everything else… eh. I’m more than ready for this sale to finally end.

15. Det. Bullock says:

I bought much more stuff on GOG.com than on steam during this sale, I’d have bought Arkham Origins but the lack of discount on the DLCs turned me off, and it’s kinda nonsensical given that both its predecessors had GOTY editions after a year or so, or even less, also the WWII COD bundle if 20 Euros weren’t my entire budget for this GOG/Steam summer sale.

Speaking of GOG.com: they have Lichdom: Battlemage on sale there for five dollars and the basic concept (brainless FPS entirely based on magic attacks with craftable spells) is quite intriguing but I’m reading very mixed opinions (some say it’s repetitive, but so are a lot of good classic FPSs, and that the crafting is too complicated), did anyone here give it a try?

• Jalan says:

That whole bit about the Batman titles means so much more given your particular choice of username.

I mentioned it in the last sale article’s comments, but I agree, it is absolutely nonsense that none of Origins’ DLC went on even a minimal discount (even after just having been on discount mere weeks ago). I have a love/hate relationship with the game (mostly leaning toward hate) but not making Cold, Cold Heart available at a discount for people who are going to be buying Origins at a discount anyway is beyond crummy.

Also, I did the same (spent more at GOG than I did Steam – balls to anyone who wants to argue that all GOG did was play shuffle with a limited library while Steam trotted out the show ponies from its stable of crap, semi-crap and non-crap) and don’t regret it.

• Det. Bullock says:

Well, my first forum was about Batman and DC comics and I always stuck with this nickname since then, I had just started reading Batman at the time (before then I mostly knew the TAS ad the Burton movies), I think it was during my first year of university.

The two Arkham games were a bit of a dream come true a like X-wing was when I was a kid, a pity that Warner decided to shamelessly milk Origins for every cent they could squeeze even after all this time, fortunately I can wait another year or two (I never bought a game at day one since X2: The Threat), it’s not that I haven’t a backlog on both Steam and GOG.com to keep me occupied…

16. jasonisme84 says:

Can anyone explain what’s going on with EUIV? There’s a deal to buy the Extreme Edition for £9.99, which is a bundle that includes only EUIV, which is for sale on its own for £8.74. Where’s the extra £1.25 coming from?

• IaIaFhtagn says:

It’s for the Extreme Edition, which is base game + 3 DLCs. Specifically, Star and Crescent, Horsemen of the Crescent and Conquest of Constantinople Music Pack.