Tonight You Die: An Eerie Free Brutalist Walking Simulator

“Tonight You Die” is not an e-mail subject I especially relish finding in my inbox, but I can get used to that brief shock if it brings me more games like Tonight You Die [official site].

It’s a spooky walking simulator exploring a deserted brutalist estate at night, all angular concrete and dark shadows. And your footsteps. And some suitably eerie music. After all the E3 bustle, I’m pleased to end the week with something quiet – and playable now. It’s pay-what-you-want on Itch.

Calibrate your brightness properly, put your headphones on, turn out the lights, and enjoy what its makers call “a paranoid fantasy existing in the space between a music single and an exploration game”. They mean it’s quite minimalist and has nice music, and it is and it does. I shan’t say much, but I did enjoy my internal process of trying to figure out quite what was going on and how it even worked. I dig those brutalist sculptures.

Also, it has a field of view slider, in case that’s a deal-breaker for you. You can turn it all the way up to 100 degrees if you don’t want to feel claustrophobic and a bit panicky in this death simulator.

1. KDR_11k says:

Yep, that does indeed look like the brutalist building next to my workplace.

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

When will someone bring out a brutal free Woking simulator

3. caff says:

A bit like walking round the Barbican at night.

I tried this with headphones and a dark room – not good for one’s bladder.

• Ross Angus says:

I liked it, but the one time I walked through the Barbican (at night, as it happens), it was quite, quite beautiful. It is what a thousand collage campuses tried, and failed, to be.

• blastaz says:

Got to say I prefer my college campuses to be built in the fifteenth century…

• Ross Angus says:

Indeed. I somehow managed to attend the only college in my area which didn’t look like Hogwarts.

• ButteringSundays says:

My legs went like jelly.

4. Monggerel says:

Ah, dearest Soviet Union. You understood me. To design and build is to design for the future.

The future needs coffins. Many coffins.

• Monggerel says:

fucking christ sakes i wish i had an edit button like, so much
      the first “design” i actually not design at all but like, something else
      forgot what.
      plan? or like engineer or something

5. plugav says:

I’ve just played it. Wow. I was a bit disappointed, at first, that it wasn’t anything like their twine game (which had been a tiny horror anthology), but then the music started… I would not have the guts to walk around the Barbican at night with this in my headphones.

6. dethtoll says:

Reminds me of Team Psykskallar’s work. Lovely.

7. cpt_freakout says:

I think this only goes to show that brutalist architecture, by itself, is actually quite peaceful. It’s completely rational and predictable in many ways, so what makes it ‘scary’ here is only a mood that could apply to any form of architecture, I think. I mean, if you apply dark and creepy to a baroque building in Spain you’ll surely get some goosebumps here and there with the strange shapes and textures of walls your perception can’t completely make out. Nice experiment, but I don’t think it works like they would want it to, not without some sort of external associations (like the Soviet Union reference made above, and that only works if you have a stereotypical view of it, too).

8. Jaykera says:

Can’t say I didn’t like it, but it someone called this “indie bullshit”, I doubt I would find the rights words to defend it.

9. ssh83 says:

I like the idea, but the implementation is… off the mark.

10. albamuth says:

The female voice speaking numbers sounds like the Conet Recordings in the background.
    link to en.wikipedia.org

11. LifeSuport says:

This sort of stuff is beyond me. Here is this thing that has no character relation, no story, and you can’t actually do anything but sit and watch. Doesn’t that just sound like a really shitty movie? For added bonus the title gives away the ending like this great movie called “The robot lowers himself into a smelter at the end to save humanity!”… wonder what happens.

duende “games”, riiight.

Ben King says:

I am definitely on board with this game and was totally bouncing up and down with jubilant dread (that’s a real emotion right?) after my 2nd or 3rd play through. I like this sort of stripped down examination of individual game elements. Who would have thought you could make a game about player death and nothing else?

13. vorador says:

It’s weird. This kind of stuff usually just gets a shrug off me. And the music was going back and forth in the border between “crap your pants in the dark” and “screeching annoying noise”.

Still i can’t say i disliked it. The sculptures were interesting to look at.