Orcs Have Tithing Problems In Total War: Warhammer

The Warhammer war game Total War: Warhammer [official site] will have a shifting campaign that will differ hugely in style depending on which of the four announced factions you are playing as. This is according to battle designer Simon Mann, who chatted with Pip in LA this week, in a full interview to follow shortly.

Mann confirms my long-held suspicions when he tells her that Orcs “aren’t really into taxation”. To be fair, neither are most humans unless they’re high enough up the food chain to directly benefit. The Empire, meanwhile, is all about skullduggery.

Greenskins “won’t be going round people’s houses, knocking politely and saying ‘Can I have my tithes please?’ They just find someone else’s village and take it. They’re more about warfare and fighting.” Which differs from the Empire side of the campaign, which will feature more political intrigue, backstabbing and fragile loyalties.

Mann says Creative Assembly is “bringing the Warhammer lore back into this,” even at a basic gameplay level. “We’ve got something called a Waaaaaagh which comes out and that’s if an orc war boss keeps doing really well and winning battles, once that happens you build up momentum and more Goblins and Orcs start following you on the campaign map. Suddenly you’re charging through enemy lands with a giant force.”

The Empire, meanwhile, will be more akin to a traditional Total War faction, but there’ll be plenty of tricksy politicking, given half the populace isn’t particularly fond of Emperor Karl Franz. “There’s a lot more skullduggery,” claims Mann. “You’ve got that reticence towards him as the leader of the Empire factions.”

What this means for the final two playable races, Dwarfs and Vampire Counts, remains to be seen, though we’re promised that “they have unique playstyles as well.” Make sure you check out Pip’s full interview and impressions of Total War: Warhammer later today, which also goes into some of the weirder, and most gigantic, units on offer in CA’s Games Workshop adaptation.

1. jasta85 says:

Great, this is exactly what I wanted from a warhammer game, actually differentiating the races, not just having a bunch of units with different skins. It’s been a long time since I’ve been excited for a Total War game, but definitely looking forward to this one.

If this does well then hopefully they’ll add the other races in. Perfectly fine paying for DLC or an expansion if the races are done properly.

• PancakeWizard says:

Totally different kind of game of course, but I feel like Dawn of War doesn’t get enough recognition for the races = different playstyles thing.

• Jerppa says:

I never figured out how to play as Imperial Guard. Space Marines and Orks yes but the Guard seemed so weak.

2. Greg Wild says:

Sounds interesting. I think what I like about this is that it might mean for a campaign deeper than “paint the map your colour”. You don’t want to end up fighting in a Warhammer world where you’ve managed to kill off all the Orcs for example.

3. DaxTheDestroyer says:

Can’t wait for the Skaven!!! A little disappointing that they are not a release faction, but I am sure they will in a DLC.

4. Firkragg says:

This is getting ridicoulous, I can’t wait to get the game; now I can’t wait for the interview. The waiting time for the final game is going to be unbearable :S

• Firkragg says:

Bonus points for misspelling ridiculous after I looked it up.

5. anHorse says:

Please don’t be broken at launch
    Please don’t be broken at launch
    Please don’t be broken at launch

Sidenote: did Rome 2 ever get patched enough to fix everyone’s complaints about it?

• Tatourmi says:

Short answer: No. The AI will still be passive and braindead on the campaign map, and the battle AI, which is actually not too bad, won’t be able to prove a challenge for lack of a proper army composition. In multiplayer however it is supposed to be fine.

• Solgarmr says:

But they fixed what was wrong with rome 2 with Atilla. For one thing sieges work, and its a really enjoyable experience overall. But why that game wasn’t a cheaper expansion instead of the standalone product it is, is a little offending. Also feel they should use the features in atilla to fix rome 2 but . . . profits I guess, on to the next game where sega can have them milk out all the dlc they can.

• Zenicetus says:

In addition to the campaign AI issues mentioned above, the game was crippled by a massive design flaw in the so-called “political system,” that forced every culture to use Roman-style political intrigue and balance.

It was CA’s attempt to replace the family tree in previous games, because the years-per-turn meant Generals would die off too fast for the family tree to work. But it didn’t work that well for Rome, and it felt horribly misplaced for other cultures, that should have had a more traditional Royal succession (i.e. a family tree).

OTOH, the tactical battles can still be fun in isolation. I dip my toe into Rome 2 every once in a while, using the campaign layer as basically a battle generator and not trying to “win” the overall game.

I haven’t tried Attila yet. It’s probably better for being more tightly focused, but it’s still priced too high. Even with the current 33% off sale on Steam it’s $34 USD. That’s too much for a game I might not enjoy. When it eventually dips down to $19, I might buy it.

6. DXN says:

O_O

Yeah, rich people sure do love taxes… must be why they go to such great lengths to pay them in full! Because that’s… how they get benefits… wait hold on

• ShinySpoons says:

Oh you’ve got it all wrong, you see, if you’re paying taxes you’ve got it made! You could be one of those poor schumcks living in a mud hut who don’t even get that opportunity!

Instead of taxes, you get orks kicking in your door, finding you don’t have anything interesting, and just torturing you for fun. Yep.

• Chiron says:

I think the idea is that rich people love to see other people being taxed, because after all if your rich enough you get to dodge taxes or collect em for yourself.

7. Jerppa says:

I don’t know anything about Warhammer but apparently Orcs are based on English tourists.

8. KDR_11k says:

Orks paying taxes would be a bit painful anyway since their currency is teef.

9. BubbaNZ says:

Of course it will be broken at launch, silly! Unless we get a video interview with the QA team head taking us through the 15,343 bugs they fixed before launch, because the nice SEGA man said they didn’t need to release it at Christmas after all, of course.

10. Johnny Go-Time says:

‘Mann confirms my long-held suspicions when he tells her that Orcs “aren’t really into taxation” ‘

Hahaha ejected coffee from my nose at this!
    +1XP

11. Jenks says:

“To be fair, neither are most humans unless they’re high enough up the food chain to directly benefit.”

*low enough down