Best Steam Summer Sale Deals: Day 10

What are the best Steam Summer Sale deals? Each day for the duration of the sale, we’ll be offering our picks – based on price, what we like, and what we think more people should play. Read on for the five best deals from day 10 of the sale.

I threatened to talk about Batman here yesterday but now it’s just going to make me sad that I can’t play until Tuesday at the earliest. Instead I’ll let you know that on page two there’s going to be an additional set of cool deals from the final day of the GOG Summer Sale. They’ve returned all their deals from the past couple of weeks so there’s a lot to choose from.

As for Steam, the current batch of deals is the finalé. They’ll run for 48 hours and then that will be your lot. Make sure to have a glance through the other nine posts to see if there’s anything super special you missed and, as usual, I’ll detail the five best below.

Welcome to Dealsham Asylum:

5. Hotline Miami 2

33% off: $10.04 / £8.03 / €10.04, Store page

Sequel to the smash hit top-down neon-violence simulator that split fans and critics alike. It’s bigger, bolder and harder than its predecessor, but some felt it lost part of its charm when transitioning to a more solid narrative and longer structure. Personally I found it as frustrating as the first game but just as impulsive and fun, with levels based on shooting varying the flow rather than interrupting it. It also has the best soundtrack in games, particularly this masterpiece. Adam fell on the positive side in his review.

4. Garry’s Mod

50% off: $4.99 / £2.99 / €4.99, Store page

Congratulations on passing The Test if you still don’t own Garry’s Mod, your reward is the ability to buy Garry’s Mod reasonably cheaply. What is there left to say about the screenshot and movie making masterpiece of physics messing-about that managed to spawn an entire development studio? Even if you’re not creatively minded, Garry’s Mod multiplayer modes vary so wildly and wonderfully you’ll inevitably find something to your liking within its vast archives. I particularly recommend Trouble In Terrorist Town which is about hunting down traitors within the midst of the players and scales quite well between 5 and 20 players. Ol’ Craig Pearson was so unable to stop writing about it he ended up with a job at Facepunch and his trifecta of features from late 2012 are a delight: on the mod’s history split over two parts and its future.

3. Payday 2

75% off: $4.99 / £3.74 / €4.99, Store page

Four player co-op bank robbing and crime-doing in Washington DC. Extensively patched and DLC’d since release, there’s also a GOTY edition for a few extra bucks that includes about thirty bits and bobs of delicious content. Heists build from convenience store robberies to full on Fort Knox style plans, through kidnappings and hacking along the way. Craig reviewed it back in 2013 and also interviewed game director David Goldfarb.

2. Assetto Corsa

50% off: $24.99 / £17.49 / €22.49, Store page

From what I’m told by my more patient friends, Assetto Corsa is the single best racing sim on the market or, indeed, ever. After a lengthy and successful Early Access period it launched earlier this year. A quick glance at the store page shows a list of officially licensed cars and tracks from all over the world and a slew of recommendations based on its realism. Far-smarter-than-me Man Tim Stone considers it the 5th best simulation game of all time. It’s also featured heavily in The Flare Path.

1. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor

50% off: $24.99 / £14.99 / €24.99, Store page

In the midst of an eternal struggle with Wolfenstein as the most surprisingly good game to come out in recent memory, everyone almost rejected Shadow of Mordor’s AssCreedlike charms out of turn. It turned out that it was a solid replication of the free-running in that game, paired with a Batman-like fighting system and an incredible management minigame of killing and being killed by orcs. Hopefully you go in without the half-way point twist spoiled for you because it’s such a wonderful moment of natural progression for game design that’s introduced in the best possible way. John split his review into two bits to make sure he branded it with recommendation strongly enough and the team gathered first to discuss its merits then later in the year to award it Bestest Best Action Game of 2014. Finally Dota 2 hero Matthew Cox experimented with playing it as a permadeath game.

From the comments yesterday, some of the other Resident Evil games were recommended. RE6 has more than its fair share of supporters and haters but those on the positive side seem more reasonable. The episodic Revelations 2 also gets a good rep from those in the know. Finally the original Resident Evil got remastered early this year and is also on sale at a quarter off. Here’s wot Adam thought.

It won’t be on deal by the time you read this but there’s been more recommendations than I’ve seen all week for One Finger Death Punch. It’s a two button brawler that in investigating to see if it was worth recommending I just lost about half an hour to. If you enjoy watching stickmen murder each other in a variety of hilarious ways or just enjoy rhythm action, it’s the game for you. Adam explained why it was more than your average minimalist game in his review.

On page 2, a visit to GOGtown.

1. brat-sampson says:

Shadow of Mordor is cheaper over at Bundlestars, comes with all the DLC too.

link to bundlestars.com

2. -funkstar- says:

GOG has a large part of Wadjet’s output for [$/€]12.94: all 5 of the Blackwell games (including Epiphany), Gemini Rue, Resonance, The Shivah, and Primordia. For less than what Epiphany costs out of sale.

3. bleeters says:

Shadow of Mordor had a halfway point twist? I honestly don’t remember.

• Minglefingler says:

Not a plot twist as such, more a new ability. Which is actually referenced on some the loading screens if I remember it right.

• Tacroy says:

Shadow of Mordor has a really really strange structure, I’d kinda love to see a post-mortem on it. It’s almost like they merged Shadow of Mordor and its sequel into the same game somehow, like a twin absorbing its sibling in the womb.

Like I could see them coming up with the whole “you’re batman with a sword and you kill orcs” thing, I mean that was pretty cool I guess, but then halfway through the game they randomly give you this amazing ability that turns the game into poke-orcs and changes everything. It’s like the first map was Shadow of Mordor 1, and then the second map is Shadow of Mordor 2 and they just shipped them in the same game.

• MisterFurious says:

Someone on a forum called the game a ‘tech demo’ meaning that the whole game was just a test for their Nemesis engine disguised as a game. He said that he couldn’t wait for ‘Shadow of Mordor 2’ because it should be an actual game. I haven’t played the game myself but I watched a lot of videos and read a lot about it and I get what he was saying.

• Juan Carlo says:

Would make sense. It reminded me a lot of Assassin’s Creed 1, especially in the way its combat system was really half baked and incredibly easy. I’ve always seen AC1 as a tech demo too.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This is a quite extreme point of view but it’s not without reason, yet you can absolutely rest assured that this one is already quite a game in it’s own right.

• Turkey says:

Ugh. I’m happy that Monolith finally has a hit game on their hands, but I hope WB doesn’t lock them to one IP again like they did with FEAR.

The tech is the real star of Shadow of Mordor. They should be spreading around in different games. Maybe hand Mad Max over to Monolith or something.

• Jimbo says:

It becomes a very different game once the branding mechanic comes into play.

I can’t remember why exactly, but I also got the distinct impression while playing it that the first area and second area felt like they had been switched around at some point quite late in development and then badly stitched back together.

• Jeremy says:

Totally agree.. it doesn’t make much sense to go from the front lines of the war in Act 1, to the calm grassy knolls of Act 2. Something was a bit off there.

4. Neoviper says:

Shadow of Mordor had a plot?

5. Nereus says:

I took the opportunity to pick up every Telltale game on GOG. As well as around 30 games many of which have been recommended to me from RPS.

Basically what I’m saying is you should be ashamed of yourselves RPS, your ability to convince me to spend money on games when I have such a huge backlog is criminal.

6. J. Cosmo Cohen says:

Most of you have probably already played it, but for anyone new(er) to PC gaming like me, Majesty Gold HD is quite an amazing game. It’s so very different from a typical RTS, wherein you don’t have direct control of your units, and the humor is wonderful, that I think everyone should give it a spin for the small asking price. I bought the GOG version, although the Steam version also appears to be on sale.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I meant to ask this in the above:

Is Darkest Dungeon worth the asking price? It’s a little more than I normally spend during a sale, but it seems like white the game.

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Darkest Dungeon, am a backer at the lowest level and I have about 36-7 hours clocked in. It’s feature complete, but depending on your skillfulness, you may find that there’s too little content. There are currently 3 separate dungeons with varying quests and around 6 bosses and their variations. In a recent Kickstarter update Red Hook said they’re planning on adding the Cove area/dungeon in July and they’re aiming for a 10th October full release. So make of that you will.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

30+ hours for the price doesn’t seem too bad to me. Thanks for the info.

• Jeremy says:

I would second that. For $14.99 you’re getting a high quality game that will only get better as they add the last two dungeons, and more content. I played a solid 35 hours before the last major update, and have been waiting a bit for them to add heroes and the next dungeon to come in fresh. I was able to get through the majority of what was available in 35 hours, but I was meandering, and about 15 hours in I lost my main party to some really unfortunate luck, which set me back quite a bit.

7. natendi says:

DEFCON for 93p! Only purchase for this sale

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Welp! I guess that’s no Axiom Verge for me until the Black Friday sale!

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

I was disappointed it didn’t go on sale, too. I was also hoping Gurumin: A Monstrous Adventure would be discounted, but it wasn’t. It seems like the times when every game had some sort of discount is over.

• welverin says:

It does seem that way, but I suspect there are just as many games being discounted overall, if not more, but since the total number of games on steam has skyrocketed, the percentage of games being discounted has plummeted.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

That’s probably true. I did actually notice a few games which never seem to go on sale anymore went on sale, including Rocket Knight, Silent Hill, and something else that I can’t seem to recall. I think I’m just sad the few games I’d waited to buy didn’t turn up.

• wengart says:

There are a lot more niche indy games that have devs who are comfortable sitting on their price fprever/

• yonsito says:

It’s been out for only one month, too early for discounts.

• RobF says:

Axiom Verge published its vague plans for discounting before launch. The jist of it is they’re not discounting early and won’t consider it until at least October of this year. Even then, I doubt they’ll be in any great hurry for deep discounting when they’re doing pretty OK.

9. CMaster says:

Not sure how useful the review of Payday 2 from 2013 would be now.
    The game has changed hugley. There’s now much, much more content, and a lot of the “cheese” tactics have been ruled out, and a lot of the odd graunch ironed out. It’s also become pretty “pay to win” – the utility of some of the weapons and gear in the DLC is massive and difficulty level changing.

• Nafu says:

I agree that some of the DLC content is game-changing, but I think it’s an exaggeration to call it “pay to win”, considering that you can buy the GOTY edition with all but the most recent DLC for a very reasonable price (and I strongly suggest that anyone looking to buy the game do so). Alternatively, you could just buy the courier mod pack, gage weapon pack #1, and perhaps the sniper pack for next to nothing and still have the most useful stuff.

10. XhomeB says:

Since the beginning of the Steam sale, I’ve only purchased Metal Slug X and Resident Evil Remake… I also have Warhammer 40k:Armageddon on my wishlist, but it looks like it won’t get discounted. Shame.

11. Commander Gun says:

Assetto Corsa vs Project Cars. Can anyone shed some light on this? Many thanks in advance :)

• Faldrath says:

Assetto Corsa is more of a “hardcore” sim than PCars – but it’s really not “the best racing sim ever”, as the article claims. Mostly because while the *driving* is excellent, especially if you own a wheel, the *racing* isn’t. The AI is dreadful, and the career mode is a complete afterthought. Granted, the game is still being patched so both of these things might be fixed in the future.

PCars, by most accounts, has a better AI, better career mode, unparalleled weather simulation (AC doesn’t have wet driving yet), but it’s a more simplified driving model, and it still feels unfinished (even though it’s already “released”).

• Jakob91 says:

” unparalleled weather simulation ” I’m sorry but pcars doesn’t simulate anything especially not rainy conditions. It’s an excellent racing game that offers very good visuals but it is nowhere accurate AC or other hardcore sims from a physic perspective so comparing it to assetto corsa seem a bit futile if I may say. Visually, It does look apart from the rest, but if feels like a Need for Speed Shift 3 title more than anything else on the market. Personally I find AC easier to drive because it’s more reliable to a real car handling but there is no night condition and no weather change.

• Faldrath says:

Well, compared to the competition, which doesn’t simulate weather at all, it is “unparalleled” :) But yeah, I don’t feel strongly either way. I’d much rather play Stock Car Extreme or Raceroom Racing Experience than either AC or PCars – they’re nowhere near as flashy, but they’re much more enjoyable when it comes to actual racing (and I still prefer SCE’s force feedback over AC’s, even though the latter is also excellent).

• Jason Moyer says:

It simulates lots of things that most of the competition doesn’t have; the problem is that it doesn’t simulate them well, which makes those points useless.

Rain in PCars (and any other sim that isn’t Grand Prix 4) is just a visual effect and a lowering of the track’s surface grip. It doesn’t actually effect anything in a way that resembles reality. In reality you drive different lines through corners in the wet, because different parts of the track have different amounts of grip depending on how much rubber has been laid down (the areas that are normally driven on and rubbered in have almost no grip in the wet). Additionally you have to consider the different slip characteristics of wet tires, the way the surface friction changes (a sliding car on a wet surface doesn’t scrub off speed like it does in the dry), plus stuff like standing water and hydroplaning. Simulating wet weather in a racing sim is complicated, which is why sims like Assetto Corsa and iRacing, both of whom are more interested in accuracy than detail, don’t have it high on their to-do lists.

• Hobbes says:

Or DiRT Rally. Which I can honestly recommend as a great alternative to the pair.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’m not going to heap more praise on Assetto Corsa, because having 600 hours invested in it is enough praise in itself.

So instead I’ll talk about PCars, which is impossible to recommend in its current state. It’s not as good simulation-wise as Assetto Corsa, but I purchased it with the expectation that it would be close (and for most cars, it’s not far off) in that regards while providing solid offline gameplay. Against all odds, it’s managed to ship with the worst AI I’ve ever seen in a proper racing sim. This is no exaggeration, and I’ve played pretty much every racing sim that’s come out since around 1990. Because of this, and some serious bugs that haven’t been fixed (like pitstops causing the car to be fitted with 4 flat tires, which was actually *introduced* in the latest patch), the career mode is completely unplayable. The AI is so bad it defies description, so I’ll present you with a screenshot instead:

link to images.akamai.steamusercontent.com

As far as the simulation aspects go, it’s gMotor based (i.e. the same basic engine as the rFactor games or F1 Challenge or the Shift series or GTR2/GT Legends or NASCAR Simracing and so forth). That essentially means that there are a lot of systems being simulated (moreso than Assetto Corsa or iRacing by far), but the quality of those systems are highly questionable, which combines to create less than convincing handling. As with all gMotor sims, the physical surface of the track is apparently based on the visual model rather than a higher-resolution non-visual layer so bumps tend to feel like hitting potholes. It also has the long-standing gMotor feeling that the cars’ suspensions are not actually doing anything, which may or may not be related to the prior point.

12. Det. Bullock says:

RTCW is officially the only game I bought on Steam durign this sale and I ended up with € 1,37 by selling the sumer trading cards.

On GOG.com I ended up buying:
    A Bird Story
    Ys I & II Chronicles+
    A New Beginning: Director’s Cut
    The Blackwell Epiphany
    The Longest Journey
    Legend of Grimrock

Unlocking the free games:
    SimCity 2000
    Stalker: Clear Sky

Andof course Battle Realms from the giveaway.

Not bad for a summer sale budget of twenty Euros.

13. 2late2die says:

This has been the most disappointing Steam sale yet. Witcher 3 at -10%? It has had that discount since it was announced FFS. I think it has only been priced at full price for a couple of weeks, so calling this a “sale price” is insulting to sale prices the world over. Weak, really weak.

GTA V – damn ripoff is what it is. I don’t need no stinking cash cards! Give me a 25% discount on the main game Rockstar – the F is wrong with you?

AssCreed Rogue – as far as I’m concerned that game is just a big DLC for Unity, so I don’t even know why it’s priced at regular full game price to begin with, but a 35% discount is just pathetic when Unity itself comes at 50% off.

Honestly, for my money the only game with a proper sale price is Dark Souls 2, the rest get a resounding “meh!”

• malkav11 says:

Steam sales have pretty much stopped giving huge discounts on recently released games, especially AAA ones. If that’s the only thing you’re interested in, you want to look elsewhere. Amazon, for example, had Rogue for $12.50. I think we can both agree that’s pretty good. But I would still call this the best Steam sale in recent memory because the sheer scope (54 slots a day! No repeat sales aside from the encore!) meant that there were meaningful discounts to be had on a variety of titles that never showed up in previous Steam sales. I picked up a whole bunch of interesting indie games and slightly older AAA titles, most under $5, nothing above $20. Ultimately I think that’s more valuable than deeper discounts on a few marquee titles, especially since the latter will show up over and over again long after you’ve already bought them.

• Nereus says:

Not to mention that with smaller developers seeing more of the spotlight we get better games. Bethesda doesn’t need another $10 so they can make Elder Scrolls VI: Skyrim 2. Developers who consistently create new and interesting stuff like Klei are much more deserving of purchase, and advertising space that the main steam page provides. The big AAA games will always be there, and will always be what people go to buy first, but they will always be there. In 5 years Skyrim will be replaced by Elder Scrolls 6, and it will just be Skyrim with better graphics and if the track record is anything to go by, worse RPG mechanics. 2k will have their borderlands reboot out in full force, while Far Cry 6 will go full meta and be set inside a tower. where you climb smaller towers to reveal the map. Meanwhile Saints Row V will be set inside a black hole and Capcom are still bleeding the resident evil franchise dry with resident evil 5 HD remake.

• fish99 says:

You won’t see big discounts on such new games.

• Carra says:

Good that they don’t lower the prices by 33% a month after release. If you buy the game at full price, that’s just not fun at all.

If you want some good discounts on the current games, take a look at cd key sites, you’ll find it much cheaper there.

14. w0bbl3r says:

This has been yet another terrible steam sale.
    For the last 2 or 3 years, steam sales have been awful.
    I actually used to look forward to these things coming.
    Now I just can’t wait for them to end, so I might spot something decent on a daily deal, or midweek deal or whatever, and at least when the sale ends I get back to the proper steam storefront. Steam store page might be bad since they changed it last year, but it’s still better than having that awful summer sale monster game nonsense shoved in your face every time you check the store, and then having to scroll through all the rubbish sale items with barely any discount, to get to actual store items.
    They need to either bring back the GOOD sales, or get rid of them altogether, because these are just insulting. I can get most of these games without a discount from elsewhere for less than the discounted version in these sales these days.