Roll Out The Coasters: Parkitect

There have been two big theme parks in gaming news recently. First, there’s Frontier’s Planet Coaster which doesn’t contain any dinosaurs at all, and then there’s Jurassic World, which contains all of the dinosaurs. I don’t think Parkitect [official site] has any dinosaurs but it does have gorgeous isometric rollercoasters and looks like the closest thing to Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 since Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. Kickstarted last year, it’s due to release in August and I want it now.

I don’t have a new video for you but the development blogs are updated weekly and packed with insights about building a game about building a theme park.

Slopes!

“We finally added the ¼ height slopes to the track builder. We can also put separate limits on up/down slope heights for tracked ride types now (notice how the log flume can have steep down slopes, but not steep up slopes). And we can put minimum size restrictions on slope transitions – the high and medium slopes in the back are the smallest possible sizes you can build, but the high slope transition is a bit longer.”

Rating rides!

“A good amount of time this week has been spent on calculating a bunch of statistical numbers for tracked rides. They’ll be used for determining how much guests enjoyed your ride. The balancing is still entirely off and it’ll most likely take lots of tweaking over a long amount of time to get it right, but it’s a start.”

Camera details!

“You can free-rotate the camera with the mouse currently, and we just added the ability to tilt it up and down freely as well. This should help with seeing rides and details, and helping to position new objects. You can use the keyboard to snap the camera to certain angles, which is usually the angles we take screenshots in.”

There are also some videos on the official Parkitect YouTube channel showing the developers building models for rides and… other things.

DINOSAURS CONFIRMED

From this site

1. Carra says:

My nostalgia for Rollercoaster Tycoon made me kickstart it. If it’s anywhere near as good it should give me dozens of hours of play.

2. Robbah says:

That screenshot alone is enough to elicit a smile and warm, fuzzy feelings inside. How is it possible that nearly a decade has passed without a proper RCT clone!

3. LionsPhil says:

Hmm. “Isometric” camera angle looks too steep; Sawyer’s Tycoon games went for a shallower one that looked less distorted.

• AngoraFish says:

• CMaster says:

I don’t think you need to put quotes around Isometric. I think that really is an isometric camera.

Which is probably going to feel very weird when combined with freelook.

• rustybroomhandle says:

Orthographic, axonometric, isometric, dimetric, trimetric, bacon crackers, elephant dung…. so many terms.

What you are referring to is the projection method – orthographic, which is what one uses to achieve an isometric view, yes.

4. Sp4rkR4t says:

Really looking forward to August to play this.

5. Ralek says:

Rollercoaster Tycoon 2? Why is this the first time I hear of this game? Did you say August? And it looks gorgeous indeed … be still my beating heart!

6. freedomispopular says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’ll be looking forward to this, but I can’t say I’m super excited about an RCT clone. If I want to play RCT, I can just go fire it up. Is there anything about this that differentiates it in a positive way?

• Sebioff says:

Hi! One of the developers here.
      Ultimately, the idea is to take the elements from some games we liked as the basis and build upon that – obviously there’s some RCT and Theme Park, but also some Theme Hospital, Prison Architect, Settlers…some of what we do is more like an improvement of what others have done before us (more flexible coaster builder, G-force visualizations, transport rides that are actually used as transport rides, staff needs), but we’re also putting in lots of ideas in that we haven’t seen anywhere else (behind the scenes areas of the park used by staff to resupply shops and transport trash, giving scenery an actual purpose by using it to hide the behind the scenes areas).
      Since we’re in the middle of development (around alpha state) not all of this is done yet and of course it remains to be seen how succesful we can make it work, but the goal is definitely not to end up with a mere RCT/Theme Park HD :)

• LionsPhil says:

Since it has a free 3D camera, I’d say points one through five-thousand are that you aren’t stuck with the classic Sawyer Railroad/Locomotion engine problem of not being able to select things that are in holes or otherwise behind awkward terrain from any of the four viewing angles.

7. BooleanBob says:

Man. That’s a brilliant name.

8. Coroner says:

So this is basically just rollercoaster tycoon 1 in 3d?

Well that is… exactly what I have ever dreamed of.

9. Artificial says:

Massive Rollercoaster Tycoon fan and I love any sort of theme park / rollercoaster based game, and whilst I like the isometric view in this one, the art style for me is almost too simplistic and stylised for me. I’m sure I’ll still find some enjoyment in it though.