What Are You Playing This Weekend?

Got my cannon primed and loaded already.

I barreled through the first episode of Tales From the Borderlands last weekend, and will go through the second in anticipation of the third arriving next week. It’s got a nice cast of scoundrels, scallywags, cheats, and grifters on a wacky adventure, and I’m always up for that. It’s not full-on hilarious, but it is pleasant and I like the adventure. Good cast, that game.

Whatever I end up doing this weekend, I shall be singing all the while. We’ve formed a choir at my swimming pond and shall be singing at a member’s party on Saturday then performing for the summer solstice on Sunday. We are, of course, singing watery songs. After a little impromptu practice while swimming last night, I think I’ve finally figured got the hang of Beyond the Sea, which had been causing me trouble. Lots of singing this weekend and no whisky: you know what happens to your voice, Alice.

But you, reader dear, what are you playing this weekend?

1. CallMeIshmael says:

This weekend looks to be a weekend of SABOW, Company of Heroes with some friends, some Hearts of Iron III (which I picked up in the sale), and lots and lots of Ground Zeroes, because oh my god my hype for Phantom Pain is reaching critical mass and I need something to do with it.
    Seriously, a lot of the complaints about Ground Zeroes’ length become completely moot if you’re willing to play beyond a surface level. Explore, experiment, do challenges! I bought Ground Zeroes twice (once on PS4, and again on PC) and I’ve spent so much time with the two versions combined that I feel totally justified in spending as much money as a full release ($60 US for both copies in total, if my memory of their pricing serves; even if it’s $80 US I’ll still feel the same).

heretic says:

Pillars of Eternity while doing a Bloodrayne 1 playthrough, Killer is Dead and Desperados picked up cheaply at the GOG sale (and System Shock 2 but not started that yet)

• piedpiper says:

I would drop everything and immediately start System Shock in your place. Beat it last autumn and it was awesome.

• Continuity says:

Agree, its aged surprisingly well (with some graphics mods), the gameplay is as atmospheric as the day it was released.

3. melnificent says:

This weekend looks mainly like hoping the new graphics card arrives to play “upgrade: 2015 edition”. Probably some borderlands 2, democracy 3 and toast time in the meantime.

4. mike1282 says:

I’m playing Heroes of the Storm, this game is so addictive. I’ve only been playing for about a week now but i can hardly stop playing, it’s got such a good learning curve, and the hero diversity is amazing so when i play with Chen and fail miserably, i can go play jaina and keep having fun.

5. OmNomNom says:

Skyrim with 290 mods

6. Imbecile says:

I’ve kinda stalled with Pillars of Eternity. As soon as I hit 5 + characters in my party it started getting a bit onerous to manage the fights. Its odd, because I was thoroughly enjoying it up to that point.

Now sidetracked with the Darkest Dungeon, which is terrific, though I worry I’m going to spoil the finished game for myself.

• OmNomNom says:

Try it without a party, or just with a sidekick. The fights tend to be a bit of a walkover with a full party even on the most difficult setting so this is one way to even the odds :)

• Imbecile says:

Is that doable? I was under the impression that I might get a bit overwhelmed with a limited number of party members? Everyone says its fairly tough.

• Morph says:

There’s an achievement for completion without any companions so it is actually possible. But I’m going with a full party on hard difficulty and am finding it tough. Definitely no walkover.

7. ephesus64 says:

Project Cars! If it ever downloads, if I have time after work tomorrow, if the force feedback wheel I bought for Gran Turismo 5 years back is working after being stored in the closet…

I want to play Divinity: Original Sin, but I’m stuck very early in the game and getting my poorly armored hind end handed to me on a regular basis. Still a wonderful place to be in, though. Maybe I’ll just treat it like a walking simulator with lovely music that occasionally kills you.

• Continuity says:

The thing about divinity original sin is that is will let you go anywhere but its actually quite tightly zoned, if you go to a higher level zone you will have your ass handed to you.. and you may not even know where your level zone is.. but its there somewhere, keep looking!

Swordfishtrombone says:

Never fear: I was being routinely humiliated by undead initially, but am now finding the combat far more manageable and very enjoyable indeed. I think the key is to use status effects as much as possible rather than just attempting to deal damage, and when you do deal damage it’s best to target one or two guys and take them down quickly, before they have a chance to take their turns. Fire/burning is v. effective against the undead. Also, use abilities and your environment to funnel enemies where you want them to go and keep them away from your squishy mages. You need mages. I have found that the ‘Glass Cannon’ perk is massively helpful – one of my mages is now a bonafide bringer of fiery death. Also, sneak attacks with a rogueish character are extremely effective: don’t forget that you can position your characters separately before a fight i.e. to flank enemies.

• ephesus64 says:

Good input, thank you all. I’d better give it another go today. It’s novel to play a game which is benefitted more by discussion with other humans than a quick trip to a wiki. Might remake my characters too, they are a bit too similar.

• xyzzy frobozz says:

It really is a fantasic game but, with the announcement of the Enhanced Edition, I’m waiting for that to come out (free to owners of Original Sin).

Thanks Larian!

8. Ejia says:

This weekend is all about capital ships with giant lasers, so a little Sins of a Solar Empire here, a bit of Sword of the Stars there, and a sprinkling of the remastered Homeworld for garnish.

9. prof_yaffle says:

I’m mostly going to be playing The Talos Principle. I’m really enjoying it, the puzzles so far (I’ve only done world A) are managing to be challenging without being frustrating. I’m going to give up on trying to get all the stars though, as I’m really bad at finding those.
    My only complaint is that the creepy god voice sounds really pretentious when he calls the tetrominoes that you have to find, sigils.

I’m also getting into Dreamfall chapters. I’m liking it but I think I’d enjoy it a lot more if I could turn off all the “This will have consequences” “X will remember this” “The balance has shifted” messages. I mean I like the fact that the choices you affect the storyline, it’s just it’s starting to feel like the game’s constantly judging you. Which isn’t really helping my anxiety.

• Eight Rooks says:

Believe me,

My only complaint is that the creepy god voice sounds really pretentious when he calls the tetrominoes that you have to find “sigils”

that’s partly the point – although much as I loved the game I’d agree the strange bare-bones art design doesn’t quite gel with the fiction, as it were.

10. wxid says:

Splatooooon (still).

Also been playing the early levels of Kirby And The Rainbow Paintbrush. The art style is great, but the control scheme is really … bad. Kirby gets caught on little corners in the scenery, and I’m not sure I can draw fast enough to deal properly with the more complicated boss fights.

• Ejia says:

I’ve been meaning to get one of those newfangled WiiU things!

11. Awesomeclaw says:

I’m on my laptop and away from fast internet, so I’ll be playing more Creeper World 3 (it’s really, really good, although the story and writing are pretty dire), as well as some Car Mechanic 2014 (which I just picked up and haven’t tried yet). I’m hoping that 2015 will also have a decent sale at some point but the clock’s kind of running out on that one.

• Notelpats says:

That’s odd, I thought the story was actually quite good, even though I haven’t quite finished. Great game.

12. Llewyn says:

Trying to get into Cities: Skylines and mostly failing. I think I’m ill-disposed towards it because of the complete lack of a tutorial to introduce how it applies the basic citybuilding concepts, but so far I’m mostly finding it counter-intuituve and awkward to control, especially with the irritating is-it-isn’t-it grid system.

Failing that, also picked up The Fall and Life is Strange ep.1 in the sale so will probably give one of those ago, maybe along with MGS:GZ or something mindless and relaxing like JC2.

13. lowprices says:

Well, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm will probably make an appearance at some point, but my plan this weekend is to give Transistor another go. Loved the aesthetic, but found the combat a bit clunky and unenjoyable when I last played it.

14. Bobsy says:

Ugh, I have an over-full clown car of games to get through.

Gal Civ 3,Pillars of Eternity,Baldur’s Gate 2, Dragon Age Inquisition, Fallout New Vegas, Dreamfall Chapters, the secoubit of Broken Age, Infinifactory…

What I’ll probably do in reality is end up playing Hearthstone and Champions Online.

• Bobsy says:

Oh yes, I also have Invisible Inc and a new playthrough of Shadows of Mordor on the list.

Did anyone give the Bright Lord DLC a look? Worth a go?

15. Continuity says:

Dirt Rally till it comes out of my ears.

16. technoir says:

Bought Secret World for a friend so I guess I’ll have tear myself away from Invisible Inc to introduce her to it. The servers seemed worryingly deserted the last time I checked but it’s not like you actually need other players in that game…

17. RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Nothing much, cause I have a fucking pedagogy course paper to turn in, though I will try to get in some time in Alien: Isolation as I’m stuck on the first mission where you actually encounter it for real and have to play around it. Maybe some Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, which I also bought in the Steam sale

18. ansionnach says:

Lemmings Revolution. It’s not very good and very buggy but it’s the only one I haven’t played after getting through the levels I’d never finished in Oh No! More Lemmings, All New World of Lemmings and the various Christmas Lemmings games and demos, including 3D Lemmings Winterland. After Oh No!, ANWoL was a cinch. Had to play through the whole thing as I couldn’t find my save file from around 1995.

Oh No! More Lemmings is probably the best Lemmings game I’ve played overall. That or 3D Lemmings with its mind-bending 3d puzzles and various improvements that relieve frustration like the replay that let’s you go back to before you made a mistake; letting you highlight the lemming you want to perform the action on; making movement and actions block-based so precision is easier; the first-person perspective, which is immensely useful and not just a gimmick. Like how they put in an eccentric wobble to the perspective as each lemming ambles along. Maybe I’d have to make the best Lemmings game a tie: it’s one of these. I’d go for the 3d one as it’s the most challenging; Oh No! is the most challenging classic 2d version.

All New World… is a lot of fun but it does feature a few levels with patently bad design (all the ones that require grenades and the odd one that hides a required tool somewhere so you’ve got to dig everywhere to find it). The Egyptian level with the grenades is the worst one: you’ve got to blow through several levels, and then kill an enemy with them. There’s so much imprecision and luck that it’s very frustrating. Anyway, ANWoL was the first to feature lemming highlighting so you don’t have trouble picking out the right one. Its ease is often because of such improvements, but it’s also because the smaller levels and more limited system simplified it so much that there wasn’t as much they could do with it. Maybe it wasn’t a shame they never made with the levels for the other tribes as the three in this game were essentially the same.

Revolution… I’m not convinced, but it does have some okay ideas. The designers obviously had little knowledge or respect of Lemmings heritage leaving out such constants as the shortcut keys (the function keys, Z and X to select skills; enter for fast forward…) and making fast forward a button you have to click and hold. Currently stuck on a level because of bugs. Too many are dying because they walk through a steel door to where they shouldn’t be; bashers destroy what you build hundreds of “yards” behind them. This happens all the time. I’ll keep at it for a bit but moving on to another playthrough of Lemmings, Lemmings 2 or 3D Lemmings would probably be puzzling time better spent. The bloody music doesn’t come back on if you unpause any way other than pressing P, for crying out loud!

• LionsPhil says:

After last week I watched some of the Amiga Longplay of ANWOL, and honestly I have no memory of that game. I must have somehow completely missed it, probably because I was still trying to get through Lemmings 2… It was certainly a departure from the normal mechanics.

It is both weird yet kinda cool that this is being discussed 20 years later.

• ansionnach says:

As sad as it is seeing games become series and then “franchises”, it’s also sad to see them sat on but brutally defended in the way Sony is doing with Lemmings. Every now and then they release another hopeless cash-in remake but there’s no desire to do it justice. Lemmings is still one of the greatest games ever made and it’s a shame that so few have experienced it. To this day I’ve never been so surprised and blown away by a game that I really couldn’t comprehend until I actually played it.

ANWoL needed an AGA Amiga which would have ruled a lot of people out. I had the PC version and am still convinced that my save file with only a handful of levels to go is on a floppy or hard drive somewhere! It’s well worth a look. As I said, precision is less of a problem and it’s just a really fun game. There may not have been as much depth to its new system as with the originals so perhaps what did get released was enough. It was a logical progression, though: Lemmings 2 threw loads of useless skills into the bucket and the third one tried to streamline and even change the system. It’s very possibly the easiest of the Lemmings games.

I’d better cut it short before I start gushing about 3d again: to me it was the ultimate progression of the original and it’s way harder than any of the others. I’d even say that finishing it without a guide would be a badge of honour. In this one implementing a solution is rarely very difficult so it’s all about the puzzling. The controls always felt a bit creaky but you get used to them and are more than rewarded for your patience. I’d love to see a sequel.

Back in the day games like Oh No! More Lemmings and ANWoL didn’t generate much excitement because perhaps people were getting tired of the same old thing. Twenty years after the last decent game you can take them all for what they really are and easily say that while it’s not too different from the original, Oh No! is really a more challenging and better game. A bit like how so many prefer Terror from the Deep to UFO: Enemy Unknown. There have been many sequels of games I really loved that didn’t change enough to warrant purchase at the time; after so many years of starvation I’m more than happy to go back and take a look at them. Perhaps Cannon Fodder 2 next, then!

• baozi says:

speaking about franchises, i dislike reading “intellectual property” even more. as a user i really couldn’t care less about which publisher owns which series as long as they don’t screw it up, and i think it’s weird writing ip if the context isn’t business

• LionsPhil says:

You really aren’t kidding about the grenades. This guy has been playing through pretty much flawlessly so far. Here’s the first time they use a grenade.

• LionsPhil says:

(Also I can’t figure out the logic moles work on.)

• ansionnach says:

That guy’s really good with those grenades! I always used the Hadokens to deal with enemies so dug through that wall, did a legger and just about managed to turn and take the beastie out.

Here’s the level I really hated:
            link to youtube.com

You pretty much have to find the correct spots to throw them through trial and error and spam them before the first one goes off, deforming the terrain and making predicting their trajectory very difficult. I stayed up above the beastie here and it was bloody hard to time it so a grenade got him. They do practically no splash damage.

It’s a bit sad to hear the Amiga music so bad. It came out after the PC version and both PC soundtracks (Ultrasound and even the humble Sound Blaster synth) sound quite a bit better. Used to be a bit jealous of friends and relatives with Amigas growing up but the PC really took off when they started to make games for the 386 and 486. First played Lemmings on a cousin’s Amiga and strangely never noticed the differences when I eventually got the PC version. I actually prefer it mainly for its function keys and the Adlib soundtrack, which I find quite appealing even though it is technically inferior to the (still fun and crazy) Amiga music. I could also swear that it’s got smoother animation and it’s easier to get that lemming building in exactly the right spot (that may be just muscle memory, albeit a memory that has stayed true over twenty years later). I think the Amiga, PC and ST versions were actually developed by different team members in parallel (or at least that’s the impression I got reading this: link to javalemmings.com). If that’s the case then the “accepted wisdom” of it being developed on Amiga and then ported to the others is mistaken. The fact that the colours were picked based on the EGA palette suggest that the PC version was on all along. The very first lemmings demo was for PC.

Rockstar could make a great Lemmings game with a GTA level of resources!

• LionsPhil says:

The best bit of that clip of the replay is where one grenade bounces back at the lemming and you see the player’s mouse twitch about in a “oh crap oh crap” way as they work out how to get out the way.

If you want terrible Lemmings music, try the Amiga version of the first. It’s all out of sodding tune. Even the Atari and it’s crappy little Yamaha beeps (and I say this as an ST owner) isn’t as bad because at least it’s tonal.

• ansionnach says:

Those grenade moments! I actually really like the Amiga music from the first game. I think the out of tune bits must be deliberate to add to the craziness. Would say that it’s by far the better version except I really like Adlib synth sometimes. The SNES music was a real shame. It should be great but it isn’t.

19. elderman says:

Spelunky! On linux (under wine). I’ve dipped into the old pixel art version, but I held off for the longest time (years!) on the update because there were no reports of smooth play on the AppDB. So far, so Platinum for me. I’ll upload a report myself when I’ve got a bit more play time. The original worked fine under wine until the fourth level.

Well, platinum, except no gamepad support. I’ve only just started trying to get that working.

20. Banyan says:

Of the Steam deals I bought, Door Kickers is really floating my boat right now. Otherwise, I’ll be getting into Infested Planet, Gemcraft – Chasing Shadows and probably Valkyria Chronicles. Might get back into Dota 2 if I overcome my reflexive terror.

21. SomeDuder says:

Still pushing A through Valkyria Chronicles (Japs LOVE exposition) and getting back into Terraria, since the last big update will be released at the end of this month

22. SuicideKing says:

Alice does some really interesting things! :D

Arma 3 with Folk ARPS as usual, Borderlands 2, XCOM: Enemy Within (maybe) and Door Kickers.

23. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

Got a few steam deals things to get into (foremost game of thrones and homeworld) but recently Attila’s grabbed me again. My total war campaigns seem to get played in bursts until I reach a comfortable point where there’s no immediate threat, but currently I’m having a massive dust up in Italy. It’s great.

24. anHorse says:

I might try and get beyond the character creation screen in Wasteland 2, so far I’ve opened it, seen a load of opaque stats & skills and quickly given up.

It’s a pretty stupid level of choice to make when you have no idea about the systems of the game yet.

Other than that I will be continuing with the Talos Principle (excellent even though one of the star challenges just broke the internal logic of the game by making an otherwise impossible jump doable in this one situation) and Hand of Fate (excellent and one of the few Roguelikelikes that keeps the food system)

25. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

A return to crysis 2. Stonking blockbuster of a game. Wasn’t that well reviewed but deserves to score higher than a lot of its peers. Astonishingly good looking with the dx11patch and everything cranked up.

• welverin says:

It reviewed quite well, actually. It’s the internet horde that went all negative on it.

• fish99 says:

And rightly so for ditching the open level design of Crysis, and for largely discarding it’s story. It was a solid game, but there were good reasons it scored lower.

• SuicideKing says:

More fun to play in many ways, though.

• fish99 says:

Dunno. The original Crysis, on delta difficulty, is the best pure shooter I’ve played in a long time. Crysis 2 was fun and solid but largely forgettable. I didn’t like the changes to the suit, and instead of square open maps it was wide corridors with the occasional choice of approach routes.

26. tsar says:

GROUND CONTROL 2
    yes old rts but I finally found some people willing to play it again: it’s so awesome we don’t find any games like that anymore, sadly..

27. Monggerel says:

Er… Counter-Strike: Source, I think.

28. Horg says:

Mostly the Age of Wonders 3 DLC campaigns and more Witcher 3.

29. Meowcenary says:

Fallout 3 GOTY in celebration of Fallout 4 announcement so I will be going through that cause I never did the DLCs when I had the game on Xbox

30. welverin says:

I don’t know!

31. slerbal says:

I shall be rotating through Darkest Dungeon, EU4, Mini Metro and Space Engineers :D

The random number generator is way too powerful in Darkest Dungeon though the music, sound and art design are phenomenal.

32. fish99 says:

Probably a lot more ARK and a bit more Fallout New Vegas.

33. piedpiper says:

Playing Ziggurat. Also I will play Oknytt this or next night if I won’t get totally drunk by that time (I beat first 2 chapters last weekend and it’s so warm and beatifull), Also bought Lords Of Xulima but I don’t think I will play it this weekend.

34. kament says:

Mass Effect 3. Main quests only, all bad decisions, shooting friends in the back and watching the world burn, that sort of thing. Three hours in and I’ve already “cured” the genophage, so it’s going to be over soon, though I’m not sure how to feel about it.

35. oafish-oaf says:

Working my way solo through Shadowrun Chronicles: Boston Lockdown, which is fun and a bit more challenging than I expected it to be.

36. duks says:

I fired up Dark Souls II yesterday for the first time in almost a year, completely forgot how to play and killed a fairly important NPC out of frustration. Since I’m going to start over I decided to upgrade to Scholar of the First Sin, which seems to be more popular than the original DS2. I wasn’t happy when I heard that they were splintering the community with this new version so I avoided it initally, but now I just want more Dark Souls and the included DLC looks really good.

• baozi says:

Thought about upgrading to the Scholar of the First Sin edition during the Steam sale because I haven’t played the DLC yet, but the upgrade costs exactly the same as if I bought SotFS new, so lol mebbe next time, backlog is big enough as is

37. Sleepymatt says:

One Finger Death Punch.

I was persuaded to pick it up in the Steam Sale yesterday for 80p or something, by the love in the comments on yesterday’s thread, and despite my dislike of rhythm games, it has sucked me in. Great fun!

38. Jaykera says:

Killing floor 2.

It’s much more deep and subtle than I originally thought after a few hours. If you’re 5-6 hours into it and not convinced, my advice is to keep pushing a little bit. It clicked for me around 10 hours of playtime.

39. Kerfawful the Waffle says:

Titan Souls.

I played the Ludum Dare version awhile back, and IT was great. I was ecstatic when I learned they might have been working on a bigger, better Titan Souls. Needless to say, when the newest version came out, I had to have it.

40. dangermouse76 says:

Gonna get a group together and try complete the Minecraft adventure. Also Game of thrones party night on the projector watching the last 2 episodes with friends. Whoop !

41. yan spaceman says:

I’m diggin’ the mad bonkers storyline of Driver San Francisco at the moment. I think the writers must have been eating moldy bread. I’m also starting to try and clear some of the Men of War games in my stockpile.

42. mickygor says:

I’m all over Heavensward this weekend. Levelling a Bard, there’s no queue for dungeons as DPS class atm for 30-50 ;)

43. Kitsunin says:

It’s only game-related, but since I’ll only have my tablet and Youtube, I’ll be rewatching Diamond in the Rough over the next few days. It’s a feature-length piece of very…low-budget, you could say…Touhou fan-animation, and it is the best work of essentially fanfiction I have ever seen. It takes the concept of Mary Sue self-insert characters and creates a dizzyingly well-told and tragic story around it.

44. neoncat says:

Finished up my XCom:EU classic ironman campaign, so now I’m off to explore CoJ:Gunslinger and Qvadriga (ty steam sale). Plus the usual forays into Card Hunter and World of Tanks…

45. Gibster says:

World of Warships, maybe some Runescape.

I finally gave in and bought a World of Warships pre-order beta access bundle so that’s what I’ll mostly be doing. Although if that doesn’t hold me I’ll probably return to some rs and do some mini-games stuffs.

46. ribby says:

Dark Souls

hopefully I’ll get to the bottom of the catacombs this weekend

47. Hmm-Hmm. says:

Scrolls! Guild Wars 2! Hexcells Plus!

And Heroes of the Storm. >.< It's just so accessible, and difficult to resist.

48. Barberetti says:

The recent Fallout 4 news has put me in the mood for stomping around the Capital Wasteland, so Fallout 3 and all out war with the raiders it is. Probably the Point Lookout add-on as well. It’s about time I finished it.

49. Cross says:

I’m stuck without decent internet, so i am doing a big old Grand Campaign of Total War Rome 2 as the Iceni. RUUUUUUULE BRITANNIA! I am a hundred years in, and currently rule all of Britain, France and the Netherlands, plus a healthy chunk of Germany.

50. baozi says:

Gone Home. It’s surprisingly more game-y than I thought it would be, certainly more game-y and engaging than Dear Esther and Protheus for me, in that it doesn’t feel like a chore. Also, playing it at night with headphones is pretty nice.