Look Heavensward To FF XIV Expansion’s Launch Trailer

You like pretties a lot, don’t you? Of course you do. And because you do, here’s the launch trailer for Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward‘s [official site], the expansion which adds no small amount of content to Square Enix’s little MMO that definitely wants to. It’ll launch on Tuesday.

Currently open for early access (i.e: people who paid money to call dibs), Heavensward introduces the city of Ishgard among other things. According to the website, that particular corner of the world is in a thousand-year conflict with dragons. Which seems rather inadvisable. Because really, who wants to argue with giant flying reptiles?

Moving on, Heavensward also introduces a panoply of new quests, ranging from location-related errands to carpenter conundrums. On top of that, there’s also going to be stuff like Company Workshops which will allow you to build things, the opportunity to explore the world on airships, new house furnishings, flying mounts, a new race (ALL RIGHT, AU RA!), new jobs, and more ways to be irresponsible with your time.

1. manio22 says:

Absurd weapons and armors, absurd haircuts…yup, its a FF game alright.

• skittles says:

Or more like any fantasy video game really. A HD WoW would be far worse than this, at least on the weapon and armor front, in general WoWs haircuts are pretty normal. Although I will admit, some of this was definitely more pointy than the norm.

• Rumpelstilskin says:

Absurdity seems to be the series’ core trait, perhaps even its raison d’être. It starts with the name already – I mean, Final Fantasy… 14?

• RayEllis says:

Yeah, it does look a bit silly, really. Crazy costumes, crazy monsters. Definitely a FF game.

I have to say the trailer was pretty awful. I guess if you are already a player it made more sense, but to me it told me almost nothing about the game, other than what I noted above. Also, guessing this was not an English-language trailer and was over-dubbed (badly) into English.

I was impressed by some very fine hats, though…

2. Tony M says:

Sorry Square Enix, but Messhof now owns Nidhogg the same way that Monty Python owns the Spanish Inquisition. Mentioning either in a po-faced narration is just going to prompt stupid grins.

3. Pretzelcoatl says:

I’ve playing GW2 with the RPS lot, and having a blast – is there anything similar for FFXIV?

particlese says:

Oh, man, that lead-in totally hints at Chrono Trigger’s “Wind Scene“. I have little idea of what went on in that trailer story-wise, but I heartily approve of this bit, the generous helping of organ near the end, and all the (visual) shiny things in between.