Batman: Arkham Knight Out Today

Did you know that Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] is out today? You did? Then Warner Bros’ marketing budget has been vindicated. Did you you know that the early Steam reviews suggest that the PC port has serious bugs and performance issues? You did? Good.

Adam is playing it now and should have more detail shortly [Update: here is more detail]. In the meantime, here’s a launch trailer for the game with all its leather clad bombast.

The trailer features not only overwrought voice over and frantic gameplay footage, but also Mercy, a song from Muse’s latest album. Which, yeah, actually works quite nicely with the sweeping cityscapes and feeling of impending doom. A fitting tone for the end of the Arkham trilogy.

We didn’t receive a review copy of the game in advance, which is why we don’t yet have a review. Perhaps the PC version did not get all the attention it deserved during development.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Monologue… monologue… monologue… monologue… POP SONG!

• Morlock says:

It’s also a terrible monologue.

Is this grimdarker than Batman: Arkham sylum? I bought it during a sale but haven’t touched it yet. The game depicted in the trailer is the last thing I need at the moment, and Jem, speaking about marketing, I hate the grey-black coloured ads that I currently walk past everyday in the Kings Cross/St Pancras underground station.

• Kollega says:

It’s hard to say if this is substantially grimdarker than Arkham Asylum. That game was pretty damn dark too, but it was way more down-to-earth than City or Knight (well, inasmuch as a Batman story can be down-to-earth, anyway). Obviously, the whole Arkham series takes after Christopher Nolan’s Batman rather than Adam West’s Batman, but if you find “Batman fighting tanks and helicopters” premise to be too outrageous, Arkham Asylum is way more focused and way less over-the-top.

• schlusenbach says:

And it’s a terrible song for the game.

• plugav says:

It’s not terribly well executed here, but I’d love to pull it off in real life.

• Synesthesia says:

ACH! My ears! Make it stop!

I… I’m old now aren’t I?

• Jinarra says:

There is some medical evidence to suggest that the brain stops being able to enjoy new music around the ages of thirty-five to fourty-five, if that’s what you mean

2. ran93r says:

Preloaded but can’t play yet.
    However, according to the frothing masses it’s quite possibly the worst PC port in Christendom with a 30fps cap as one of a myriad of issues. Unlocking that cap in the config causes all manner of woes.
    “Some” people are not having major issues but the vocal majority on Reddit are outraged, outraged I say!

• Jalan says:

A day without Reddit outrage… a day without rain.

• Xzi says:

Can’t believe Rocksteady dropped the ball like this after Arkham Knight was supposed to be a return to the quality of the first two games. I’m sure they’ll fix performance issues eventually, but why the hell would you cap it at 30FPS on PC? And why release it in such a poor state? Now it has a much lower Steam review score than Arkham Origins, which was completely contrary to what it was trying to achieve.

3. Guybrush86 says:

It’s pretty janky to say the least.
    Framerate issues and sound dropouts are the most common.
    Also had it freeze at the splash screen and I couldn’t even Alt Tab or Ctrl Alt Delete out of it. Had to restart my PC.
    Very disappointing, hopefully there’s a patch out soon, it’s getting brutal reviews on steam.

basilisk says:

When a launch trailer spends two minutes repeating that Batman’s going to die, it clearly means Batman isn’t going to die. Not sure what that was supposed to achieve. Unless it’s a double bluff, in which case well played, I guess, but I still don’t know what that was supposed to achieve.

I still hope this game turns out to be more than just a hollow bombastic spectacle. Which is probably naïve of me.

5. John O says:

According to the reddits, it runs like crap. Locked at 30fps, too. Of course, I haven’t tried it.

6. mukuste says:

Trilogy? Isn’t this the fourth one?

• Eight Rooks says:

Yes, but Rocksteady have only done three of them. Asylum, City and Knight form a trilogy. Origins was the B-team at Warner Montreal.

• anHorse says:

Rocksteady refuse to acknowledge Origins which is stupid because they could learn a lot from it
      Like how to improve their boss fights to something fun and unique instead of just having 5 different encounters with a big charging enemy

Also I can concur that the port is utter toss, pretty amusing given that Nvidia gave me a promotional copy of this to show off what my new card can do.

• montorsi says:

They can and should learn nothing from Origins. What a shitshow of encounter design. They may have played the previous two games but they gleaned nothing from how to set up combat encounters on Hard to not be an awful slog instead of the engaging experience it was in Asylum and City.

• Jalan says:

I don’t know about refusal to acknowledge it, given that a Most Wanted quest line involves Firefly and Alfred and Batman remark that he’s fought him before.

7. Eight Rooks says:

Yup, the spoilers in Kotaku’s review and now the apparent state of the PC port reassure me I was right to skip this one. Maybe in a sale. Origins was much, much more fun than Asylum and City, and now for all the graphical bells and whistles and the Baysplosions it looks like I’d be better off with another playthrough of that one than trying Knight. Unexpected PC problems aside (I mean, I never had any hitches with the other two games) Rocksteady have to be one of the most technically accomplished development teams going, but I doubt they could write an interesting story if their lives depended on it – I mean, that’s two, possibly three games they’ve made being the Batman boring.

8. Jeeva says:

If you’d like to make wild conspiracy-theory style guesses about the late bump to the ATI minimum spec, I’m sure we’d welcome that too. ;)

9. icarussc says:

Not a reddit user myself, but I can confirm that the game isn’t playable for me on any setting — I’m have huge framerate issues. And I’m guessing it’s not a hardware problem on my end, because (aside from the fact that I’m well above minimum requirements) it runs at the same ultra-janky speed whether I set it to ultra-low 1280×800 or I set it to ultra-high 1920×1080. Which seems odd.

Anyway, I’m sure it will be sorted out soon enough.

10. orient1 says:

Happy right now that I got my copy free with my GTX960. Hopefully they’ll patch it up before I’m done with TW3.

11. tomimt says:

I actually didn’t know neither, that Arkham Knight is out today nor that it was buggy. But now I do, so more props to RPS than Warner’s marketing team.

12. Alberto says:

Wonder how is it any of the supervilliains has thought on committing crimes in full daylight.

You can basically commit any atrocity with total impunity if it’s early in the morning. Batman is sleeping after beating punks all night.

• plugav says:

Well, they are all certifiably insane, even if their diagnosis is “comic book logic.”

• Xzi says:

Also, at least half of them only exist because Batman exists. AKA they live to get his attention and get involved in tussles or mind games with him.