Cyberwizards & Robobees In 13 Mins Of Cod Blops 3 Co-op

I'm a mechanical- I'm a mechanical- I'm a mechanical man.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 3 [official site] turns soldiers into cyberwizards with dominion over cyberbrains and robobees, but does that make the game much different from any other CoD, Blops or otherwise? For the first ten minutes of a new thirteen-minute gameplay trailer showing off four-player co-op, the answer appears to be no. Soldiers run along corridors in a sandy city and shout and shoot and there’s a cinematic where a man dies and oh it’s so very tragic. The final three minutes, however, venture into one of the boss battle arenas, and that looks a whole lot more fun.

With big battles where all players need to use their cyberwizardy to summon bees, possess drones, turn mechanical men friendly, make dudes puke, and pop off grenades on people’s vests while wall-running and blasting with honking great guns, yeah, that looks pretty good! Co-op is a nice addition, and I’m glad it’ll offer the option to be a lady cyberwizard too. It’s still a game I’ll wait to pick up on sale, as the series’ core competitive multiplayer isn’t really to my tastes, but I’ll look forward to that cooperative cyberwizardy.

This video is taken from the PlayStation 4 version of Cod Blops 2, so expect it to look a little better on PC as it’ll have a field of view slider amongst its nice PC bits.

Cod Blops 3 is due on November 6th.

1. Unrein says:

I think I’d really like to get into CoD with this one, but man, Activision pricing…

• FuriKuri says:

Hah, too true. At least you don’t have to worry much about depreciation though, Modern Warfare is still £20(!) on Steam, 8 years after release…

• LionsPhil says:

Oh, come now, be fair. They bumped up to a massive 51% discount during the daily sales!

I guess they’re betting that amongst all the “Steam sales are frequent and deep, let’s not devalue our games like that” kerfuffle people would forget that in the days of retail you used to have bargin bins full of old stuff like that for a fiver.

2. Turkey says:

The screenshot makes it look like C&C Renegade, but the trailer is just brown on brown.

3. klops says:

I like the Magical Gesture the fighting man does when summoning drones and bees and everything.

4. Kollega says:

Somehow, it feels to me that mixing the latter-day Call of Duty’s glorification of war and militarism with the gleeful abandonment of decency and morality found in cheap cyberpunk will produce a result that will be vastly more atrocious than either of those standing on their own. And yet, dudebros will of course buy it in droves and think it’s “fuckin’ awesome” and “totally swag” and “absolutely badass, man” … ugh. Just… ugh.

• The_invalid says:

“the gleeful abandonment of decency and morality found in cheap cyberpunk”
      You say that almost as if that’s not fantastic.

5. Spacewalk says:

Think I’ll wait for Ground Zeroes instead or contemplate finally getting Revengeance because it’s cheaper.

• Synesthesia says:

Do both! Revengeance is an absolute blast if you have a controller. If you liked viewtiful joe, you will love that one. Ludicrous story, and great boss fights.

NANOMACHINES SON

6. colw00t says:

Revengance is worth any price. I broke a personal rule and bought it at full price and it was worth every measly penny.

AtlasIsKing says:

Isn’t it interesting how in most of these contemporary Modern or Future Warfare FPS games it’s now the norm to have playable female characters or female teammates but there will never be female members of the opposing army (apart from occasional plot-related NPCs). As a supersoldier you can run around killing hundreds of people without flinching as long as none of them are women.