Salad Fingers: Where’s May Gone? (Where’s Firth Gone?)

Salad Fingers is a phrase that either makes you shudder, or leaves a blank look on your face. There’s no room for knowledge + complacency. It was bloody creepy. First appearing as a Flash cartoon in 2004, it ran for ten sleep-disturbing episodes over the following ten years. And now, troublingly and perhaps intriguingly, there’s to be a game. Although, of some concern, creator David Firth isn’t involved. The first glimpse is below.

If you never saw Salad Fingers – unsettling cartoons about a green-faced guy with salad for fingers – then all ten episodes can be watched in a row right here:

I remember first encountering it on Weebl’s Stuff, a deeply stark and unexpected change of mood from the site’s usual chirpy songs about tigers and badgers. “I like it when the red water comes out,” is not a sentence that belonged there. So yes, the news that there’s to be an episodic game based on it is… welcome? The news that it’s not involving Firth is a lot less so.

It’s to be a three-part point-n-click adventure, in which you’ll play a guy captured by Salad Fingers, escaping and attempting to recover your missing daughter May. Along the way, you will apparently see events from the cartoons from a different perspective, with clues for what to do found in the original cartoons.

The lack of Firth’s direct involvement does come with the rather enormous concern that it won’t feature his voice work. The silence on the trailer doesn’t bode too well there. It’s on Greenlight, so you can show your interest, with the first episode due next month.

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

Meh, I’m not sure David Firth’s input would mean much.

If Devvo’s recent slide in to a pseudo-political figure is anything to go by.

haowan says:

If Firth isn’t involved, doesn’t that leave the question of whether they actually have the rights to make this?

haowan says:

Answered my own question: “Note that David Firth has approved the making of this game, and will receive royalties. We’ve attempted to gain David Firth’s involvement through contractual employment, however due to his heavy workload, he’s unable to assist in the development of this game. He however gave us some of his Flash asset libraries to aid in development.” from the game’s announcement area on greenlight.

3. Wowbagger says:

Meh I wasn’t the biggest fan of salad fingers, I prefer Spolisbury toast boy or the ‘milkman’

The parody called banana fingers is pretty funny mind you.

I would suggest going here for his full body of work:

link to fat-pie.com

4. Cantisque says:

Hoping to see a Greenlight page for Mel Gibson’s Safari 3 at some point.

In all seriousness, it looks like an attempt to make a poorly done game, using the fact it’s based off an ancient Flash animation as an excuse rather than a genuine aesthetic choice.

I’m sure as long as Firth gets paid, he doesn’t care either way.

• StarTroop says:

I’m not saying Firth has “sold out,” but knowing how often he bitterly (yet also jokingly) admits how little money he makes for all the effort he puts into his work, I’m sure he’s allowing this mainly to make some extra bucks on the side. I’m also assuming that he’s allowing this as a favour to the developer, who’s probably just a big fan trying to make their first game. Then again, David as of yet hasn’t mentioned the game on Twitter, so there’s still the possibility that the game is unauthorised.

5. skyturnedred says:

No. No. No. No! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! – Michael Scott

6. Sarfrin says:

Nope.

7. Distec says:

Salad Fingers was my introduction to Fatpie, but there were a lot of other good works that I came to favor over it. I also like that David clearly is/was a big Warp fan. Milkman 4 lyfe. His own music wasn’t half-bad either.

I actually emailed him once long ago out of general curiosity about his claymation work and music, and he actually responded telling me what software/equipment he was using and his methods! I didn’t really expect a response, so that tickled me.

8. Ross Angus says:

When is the game of Don’t Hug Me I’m Scared coming out?

9. Pich says:

Boards Of Canada OST or we riot!