Telltale’s Tales From The Borderlands Episode 3 Released

The third episode of Telltale’s Tales From the Borderlands [official site] is now out, and would you believe the ragtag group of grifters are in trouble again? I don’t know how much more I can say without spoiling things – I ummed and erred for a while over even the screenshot to use in the header image – but I can tell you it’s out today, and that a trailer and a description follow below.

I can also say that I’ve been surprised by how much I’ve enjoyed Tales From the Borderlands so far, given how boring I find the Gearbox first-person shooters they’re based on.

As ever, episode 3 is included with your season pass and on Steam, at least, should be downloading itself. If you have it on GOG, hey, I’m sure what you know what to do. Here’s what Telltale have to say about the episode titled ‘Catch a Ride’:

“After a dizzying escape from a very-near-almost-certain-death scenario (involving statuesque buttocks), Rhys and Fiona find themselves looking for another piece of the puzzle that will lead them to the untold riches of Vault key ownership. Lost in the mysterious jungle of an Atlas terraforming facility, Fiona finds help from an unexpected mentor, Rhys continues to share brain-space with the disembodied mind of a dead dictator, and love is in the air. Pursued by the ruthless criminal ‘Queenpin’ Vallory, and with very little help from Vaughn’s accountancy skills (or stellar abs), getting anywhere near the Vault will be entirely up to you.”

And here’s the trailer:

1. Xyvik says:

Boring? Seriously? While I can’t speak for the Pre-Sequel, Borderlands and #2 are my wife’s and my favorite co-op game. The first one’s world was bland but had some pretty good humor in it, and the second one fixed the bland-world and had even more fun and loot.

Any particular reason you find them boring?

• Nick says:

As much as I love the games.. there is no way BL2 had more loot than 1, it was the worst aspect of the game, in two playthroughs of the main game and all the DLC I think I saw a grand total of 3 oranges in coop. Just stupid and unfun to have that sort of drop rate in this sort of game imo.

• baozi says:

I find Borderlands to be hilarious and super fun played co-op.

• Ross Angus says:

It seems the answer is “co-op”. I finished Borderlands 1 and started to play Borderlands 2 just for Anthony Burch’s writing, but the gameplay wore me down. It just seemed empty and repetitious with too little narrative to sweeten the experience.

I never tried co-op.

• kament says:

I don’t play co-op, but I liked The Presequel well enough to try B2, and was so disappointed with it that I only got as far as the rebel settlement or whatever it was. “Life planetside is just too static, too boring.”

2. Carra says:

I’ve finished the second episode this weekend and I had fun with it again, looking forwards to playing the next one!

And I also got bored with Borderlands 2, it just didn’t click with me and I stopped playing after 4 hours. Maybe it’s like Diablo 3 and needs to be played in coop?

• Xocrates says:

Borderlands 1 and 2 are my top 2 most played games on Steam, at 100+ hours each, and with the Pre-Sequel nearing 50 hours. Every single minute was single player.

So, I wouldn’t say it needs to be played coop to be enjoyed, but I’m very much aware that it’s not an experience for everyone.

3. Kollega says:

I really, really, really hope that in Borderlands 3, Handsome Jack will be treated with the same don’t-give-a-damn attitude by writers as Atlas and General Knoxx were in Borderlands 2. I wouldn’t mind to see a crumbling statue of Jack somewhere in the game, and a character yelling out “YOU MANIACS! YOU BLEW IT UP!” – but I really, really, really hope I won’t ever have to see Jack’s “handsome” (read: despicable to the point of inducing psychoitc hatred) mug or hear his “handsome” (read: nails-on-a-chalkboard-grating) voice ever again, just like General Knoxx was dropped out of the story come BL2.

In short, I’m sick and tired of all plot revolving around Handsome Jack and I hope that BL3 will start fresh, as opposed to digging the bastard up again. The series needs a new start, and a new story arc revolving around someone who will piss me off less. I know Jack was deliberately created to be a loathsome douchebag with no redeeming qualities, but if that’s the case, I feel he shouldn’t get story focus to quite such an extent. Out with the old, in with the new, I say!

• Kollega says:

And speaking of grating, no edit function and no preview box makes for a disasterous combination. Take note, RPS.

4. Simon_Scott says:

Interrupted playthrough of the third episode. Longtime lover of Tank Girl and Deadline, (with the odd copy of Heavy Metal snuck in there from time to time), so the world of Pandora feels pleasantly familiar to me. I’ve played more BL2 than anything else. A frightening number of hours.

There’s a bit of a lul to the pace of a lot of the dialogue in Tales – almost as if they are pausing for laughter (which is unfortunate – although I have found the game amusing throughout, I’ve only laughed out loud once). There isn’t the snappiness that you get in the shooty games.

There’s also a weird thing they seem to be enjoying of putting in lines from other films, not always as a funny reference (My LOL moment was one of the characters self-consciously saying “You’re the man now, dog!”) but just as regular dialogue.

I do feel I’m having more impact on the world and the merry band of adventurers than I did in Walking Dead (which, sacrilege, I found both silly and underwhelming). I gleefully ensured that _______ got _______ and instantly regretted it, which pretty much guarantees a second playthrough.

Very interested in seeing an Anthony Burch scripted TV show set on Pandora, so if the universe could make that happen, that would be lovely.

5. Saul says:

Like the mysterious author of this post, I found Borderlands horrendously boring. I played the first one for a couple of hours once and was well and truly done with the whole thing. At least I thought I was. But I love everything Telltale has done since Walking Dead, so I picked this up during the Steam sale, and have hopes that it will be more to my tastes.

By the way, can the mobile site be fixed so that it displays author bylines? I find it terribly unsettling to read posts by mystery authors.