Come Friendly Bombs: Modding Fallout: New Vegas To Look More Like Fallout 4

This isn’t a guide, because it’s designed to be an open discussion about which other fan-made doohickeys are best bolted onto Fallout: New Vegas while we wait for the more vibrant Fallout 4 [official site] as much as it is my own recommendations. I want you, the veteran connoisseur of a game I skipped over at the time, to tell me and other readers what the must-have FNV mods are. But I’m also going to share a few I’m using, which have dramatically reduced the severity of the post-apocalyptic RPG’s savage ugly-stick beating. They’ve added some of the fidelity and most of all colour that we cooed at in Fallout 4 footage – a game which suggested an altogether more appealing wasteland.

For context, I barely played Fallout: New Vegas upon release because, despite sterling wordsmiths Obsidian handling it, I found Fallout 3’s engine and especially combat too distractingly wonky to deal with. As much as I wanted to I just couldn’t lose myself to the wasteland, because the wasteland looked and felt like Team America recreating Riverdance on some mudflats. Half a decade later, I can avail myself of the many mods aimed at resolving just that, and maybe, just maybe, I’ll finally be able to enjoy a game that half the internet is madly in love with. I’ll think about survival, difficulty and new campaign mods some other time: this is about seeing if I can find a way into to the game Obsidian made.

An important and vaguely embarrassing disclaimer is that I can’t be 100% sure if all of these mods are working fully. Several of them overlap each other, including replacing each other’s files, and there’s also a fine art to determining the optimal load order of add-ons. What I do know is that I was broadly happy with the results, and didn’t especially feel that I had to add or fix anything else.

After many and varied types of fiddling, there were three and a half tools I needed before I could meaningfully get going. The first was Fallout Mod Manager, one of several rival tools for (un)installing and managing legions of FNV add-ons. Even that is split into two different forks, which is where the aforementioned half a tool comes in. The most recent ‘official’ FMM is available here, but you’ll almost certainly need to install the 4GB RAM usage patch on top of that. So I went for this custom build which has that built in already, but is only available via (free) registration for the Lovers Lab forum (a place which I should probably warn you is festooned with assorted nudey mods, so possibly NSFW and all that, although the FMM thread itself is clean).

As well as managing mods, I used Fallout Mod Manager to bump up New Vegas’ egregiously limited level of detail fade settings so there was less pop-up and more distance scenery – go to Game Settings – Graphic Settings – LOD, tick ‘override’ on all three sliders and then manually enter bigger numbers. Mine are set to 250 currently, but that is complete guesswork and I’ll tinker further later.

Next was New Vegas Script Extender, which provides infrastructure for some more ambitious tweaks. Get that from here.

Finally (well, not finally – there’s no finally once you venture down this particular rabbit hole, partly because there are always more mods but mostly because you’ll run into all sorts of exciting errors and incompatibilities which will require fiddly fixes) there’s ArchiveInvalidation File Generator, a single-click tool which ensures FNV will load any replacement textures you’ve added. You’re best off running this once you’ve installed all the other mods, as several of them overwrite textures from several others, but in my case I just ran it every time there was a texture change.

I then manually edited Fallout_default.ini in the FNV install directory, changing uGridsToLoad to 9. This tells the game how much of the world to load into memory, and has a big effect on distance detail and pop-up. However, you’re playing with fire a little – it can cause crashes, and once you’ve saved your game while ugrids is set to a higher number, you won’t be able to load it again if you need to set that number lower. So jump up in tiny increments, then thoroughly test that the game’s stable before you commit to it. I can probably go higher than 9 if I wanted, but the other mods pretty much remove the need to do so anyway.

As for mods proper, I started with textures, as there’s always a textures mod for Bethesda games, because Bethesda games always seem to ship with textures that look like someone wiped a dirty nappy on a mirror. I opted for NMC’s Textures, which are available in small, medium and large res – I went for the latter. The pack comes in three parts, then there’s a patch to add afterwards, so expect to spend quite some time extracting large archives. It doesn’t do much to character models, but does makes the world in general far sharper. It’s not revelatory really, but it definitely knocks a couple of years off the old man.

For characters, I went with Fallout Character Overhaul, a modular package which upgrades faces, hair, eyes and other elements and doesn’t appear to be too exaggerated. You even get to choose between dirty desert teeth and Cast Of Friends teeth. I haven’t yet installed anything to improve clothing or weapon textures, so if you’ve any particular recommendations there, please shout ’em below.

OK, the next – and, frankly, overriding – priority was to add some colour to the sea of grey-brown. Just because it’s the end of the world doesn’t mean you can’t have a little fun, or that people have forgotten how paint works. Doing this isn’t as simple as chucking in some green trees or extra-shiny Nuka-Cola machines, however. The game needs a fundamental rethink in terms of lighting and skies. Let’s start with the latter, which I addressed with the Nevada Skies mod. Of everything I installed, this was the one I was most struck by. Huge, dramatic skies, with huge dramatic weather. Even when it’s not besieging the wasteland with heavy rain or sandstorms, it just seemed to open the game right up, as well as amping up the sense of the scale. There are various versions of NevadaSkies, but I went for the one designed to work with all the DLC.

Next I stuck on Wasteland Flora Overhaul, which greenifies the desert substantially, but without preventing it from still looking like a desert. Possibly not for everyone, particularly The Road enthusiasts, but I much prefer the game this way.

Then, assorted mods for indoor and outdoor lighting.

I also stuck on Essential Visual Enhancements, which primarily adds graphical bells and whistles to combat animations and particle effects. Haven’t noticed anything especially jumping out at me with it yet, but I suspect I’d notice if it wasn’t there.

Then there was the Electro-City Imaginator, which I primarily installed because it adds depth of field effects to distant scenery, softening far-off hills and whatnot so their more limited polycounts and sparse detail isn’t so glaring. It’s a really lovely and helpful effect, because it’s pretty in its own right as well as masking some uglies. The Imaginator’s also a bunch of fun in other ways – it also appears as an in-game item, and one which allows you to add various ‘cinematic’ filters.

If you want to play in Western sepia or monochrome, if you want to make everything look like Star Trek Love Scene Vaseline Lens Effect, if you want to amp up the colour even more, those options are there. They don’t entirely play nice with some other mod I’ve got installed, but I can make it work more often than not by fiddling with load order and whatnot.

Finally – at least in terms of graphics – there’s ENB. This highly tweakable post-processing tool is available for several games, including multiple Bethesda offerings, GTA IV & V and Deus Ex. It applies and improves various modernish effects, including HDR, superior anti-aliasing and depth of field. ENB is its very own rabbit hole – there are a gazillion different user-made presets available to try out, or you can adjust settings yourself with the alt+enter in-game menu and by editing the ini file. It’s not an essential, but you get out what you put in.

After that, I added one non-graphical mod, which was the project designed to restore Obisidian’s own cut and unfinished content. There are several parts of this, all of which I ended up adding, but specifically, I wanted the one which sewed the ‘Freeside’ Strip environments back together into one whole rather than the bitty, restrictive parts of the released game.

The results? Pretty good. There’s a certain shonkiness to the Gamebryo engine which I don’t believe could ever be chased out – indeed, aspects of it are still evident in the Fallout 4 footage we’ve seen – but all this stuff modernises New Vegas hugely, as well as making it look much more as though it was designed to be a PC game first and foremost. It doesn’t quite look like Fallout 4, but it looks much more like Fallout 4 than it did, and gets rid of some of Fallout 3/New Vegas’ most dispiriting visual aspects.

It took a lot of effort, and indeed this run-down skips over most of the trial and error I experienced getting it all to run, and it is well worth reiterating that you might run into any number of problems I didn’t. I got there in the end, and it was worth it: I do feel like I finally want to play New Vegas now. It no longer suffers from a ubiquitously sickly pallor and blurry surface, and once in a while I’m stopping to admire the scenery rather than pulling a face at it. And, of course, there’s a whole buncha stuff I haven’t tried yet, which is where you come in. What else, to your mind, are the essential New Vegas mods?

1. povu says:

If there’s one thing that Obsidian did not put a huge effort in, it’s the faces for (mainly, but not exclusively) minor characters. Proportions and skin colours are often weird, and sometimes the voice or back story doesn’t match the appearance. Can’t blame them much, the character creation is kinda shitty.

New Vegas Redesigned deals with that.

link to nexusmods.com?

• Anguy says:

Thanks mate, have yet to play NV and was worried I had to endure the horrendous vanilla faces. Much obliged!

• King_Rocket says:

They only had 18 months, if they had of been given more time I think they would have done more.

• drygear says:

The final DLC Lonesome Road has a character with a more interesting and unique face. In order to get it to work with the engine they had to make the model of his head act like a mask that his character has equipped. You can see it here, and if you scroll most of the way down there’s a picture with his head unequipped: link to fallout.wikia.com

2. Poerts says:

Aww, you left out one of the most amazing New Vegas mods ever. A Tale Of Two Wastelands. You need Fallout 3 for it to work, but the mod combines New Vegas and Fallout 3 into one insanely massive ultra-game. You can make the old accusations of Fallout 3 and New Vegas being the same game completely literal and it is wonderful and intimidating to behold.

• J. Cosmo Cohen says:

How does it work, exactly? Can you jump between missions from both games? I’ve never heard of it but I might actually reinstall these two just to play it.

• badmothergamer says:

In a standard TTW setup, you start in DC and need to be around level 15 or up to get through the train station that can get you to NV. However, there are alternatives (blatant self promotion incoming) including a mod I made: link to taleoftwowastelands.com – although I can’t promise this even works anymore because it was made for an earlier version.

There are other mods that allow you to easily move back and forth between the two wastelands after making the initial venture to NV.

Overall, TTW is a fantastic mod that has essentially been a WIP since FNV was released but is now incredibly stable and relatively bug free. Plus, most of the major mods (Project Nevada, NMC Textures, etc.) have been patched on the TTW site to work with TTW. I can’t imagine ever playing FO3 or FNV on it’s own again when the two can be combined.

• epeternally says:

How does that work in terms of levelling – if you carry the same character build through both stories wouldn’t you end up ridiculously overlevelled? I haven’t even done all of the DLC content for Fallout 3 not to mention complete exploration and I’ve already hit level 30. I’ve got a level uncapper installed, but there’s so pitifully little in the way of late / endgame content that once you’ve hit that point it just gets boring (and I haven’t found much in the way of mods that specifically add more to do at high levels either). I’d imagine that having twice as much content to play through would just worsen that, wouldn’t it? Unless they’re making some pretty serious changes to the game.

• badmothergamer says:

TTW causes you to level much slower (a little less than half the default I believe) but there are mods, such as Project Nevada, that allow you to change the pace of experience in the game to whatever you want it to be. I generally prefer to blow through the first few levels so I leave the experience gained at default but once I hit level 8 or so I’ll half the experience gained.

The current team plus a host of others have been working on this since FNV was released, so at this point they’ve thought of pretty much everything when it comes to integrating the two games together and making it work.

3. BannerThief says:

Ah, New Vegas. One of the best RPGs ever made, and boy howdy have certain aspects aged poorly. I would like to recommend NEW VEGAS REDESIGNED, as it adds in a lot of NPC details and changes appearances to better match characters (perhaps a bit hard to describe with words; the screenshots do a good job of showing the changes.) It also requires CHARACTER OVERHAUL as a base, which you have, so It’s not a big deal to install for you.

I also love me some guns, because I’m a true blue American, so I tend to install WEAPONS OF THE NEW MILLENIUM, which adds a lot of boom-boom to the game. It integrates into leveled lists just fine (although you should still get a BASHED patch going; you should get WRYE FLASH to help you with that.) And for gameplay overhauls, it’s hard to beat PROJECT NEVADA, which adds in a lot of combat mechanics, changes the leveling system, and makes the game’s firefights seem more frenetic and dangerous. It’s all customizable as well, and the Nexus page has tons of patches for other mods, so you can almost assuredly get it working no matter what your modlist looks like. You should also install YUKIGACHI’S UNOFFICIAL PATCH, as it’s the undisputed mod patch for New Vegas, and is in my opinion essential for anybody.

Other than that, if you really want to get crazy, you could follow the S.T.E.P. GUIDE, a fully-featured modlist that mainly focuses on fixing the broken things, rather than adding in a lot of extra fluff (although there are a lot of fluff items to install, if you desire.)

Damn, now I’m currently downloading New Vegas to play it again. One of the best.

4. Zenicetus says:

I never felt the need to get much into mods for NV, but I can recommend Nevada Skies. I tried that on my second playthrough, and it’s a major boost to the feel of the environment.

Personally, I don’t get the desire for “more color,” in this geography, but whatever floats your boat. The Mojave just looks like that. Hell, most of the Southwest USA looks like that. Ever seen an episode of Breaking Bad? Anywhere that looks green and lush is probably artificially maintained, and wouldn’t survive the apocalypse. Or the next 10-20 years in real life, the way things are going out there.

5. ThinkMcFlyThink says:

I typically followed Gopher’s YouTube guides for modding FO:NV. It used a lot of what is mentioned above, and just ended in a great experience.

6. wyrm4701 says:

I’m envious of anyone who can get New Vegas to run. When I updated my machine, the ability to play NV kinda… broke. After applying every fix under the sun, the game will run for a very short while, sometimes. Prayer may have something to do with it, I’m not sure. It seems to be some problem with my Nvidia card that only affects NV, and it’s bloody frustrating.

7. fish99 says:

For anyone thinking of replaying New Vegas (or F3), if you have crashing problems find the file – fallout.ini – in

Documents\My Games\FalloutNV (or Fallout3 for Fallout 3)

Change this line to end in a 1

bUseThreadedAI=0

And then add this line after it-

iNumHWThreads=2

8. AL-97 says:

Does anyone know if a Josh Sawyer’s Mod is still an important gameplay mod or is it superseded by some other mod(s) of similar nature? If it is, then does someone mind explaining the differences? I’m particularly interested in changes to Hardcore Mode, XP rate, carry rate, Damage Threshold/Damage Resistance, Karma/Alignment values, H2O/FOD/SLP rates, Water and Food drop rates, rarity of the various items.
    I know that it’s a _very_ complicated question, but, for me, it’s a one worth asking.

• badmothergamer says:

The JSawyer mod is still worth installing because it had so many little tweaks and fixes. I just put it high in my load order so other mods that change similar functions supersede it. If you really want to tweak all those values to your own liking I’d have to recommend installing either Project Nevada (PN), which adds a Mod Configuration Menu (MCM) that allows you to tweak each one on the fly, or, if you don’t want everything that comes with PN, I believe there was another mod that adds an MCM option that will allow you to change most of those values in game. You’ll just have to search the nexus but its there.

• AL-97 says:

Thanks for the reply. Do you mind one more question: have you noticed any conflicts from using JSawyer mod with ProjectNevada, like broken quests, stats or something?

• badmothergamer says:

There shouldn’t be any conflict between JSawyer and any major mod. With the popularity of JSawyer most major mods are designed to work with it. Just be sure to put JSawyer at the top of your load order so any mods that do alter the same function supersede it and you’ll be fine.

If you’re still concerned, watch a quick tutorial on using FNVEdit to make merge patches and solve mod conflicts. The software can look intimidating but is actually fairly simple to use to accomplish the majority of tasks you’ll need it for. Plus, if you really want to have a heavily modded FNV setup that doesn’t crash every 5 minutes learning the basics of FNVEdit is essential. Good luck!

9. lennymccoy says:

I would recommend using Nexus Mod Manager, it´s constantly updated.

After applying all your mods run LOOT ( link to github.com )
    to sort out the load order and check for errors or missing files.

Good modding guide on reddit (including LOOT tutorial):
    link to reddit.com

10. Synesthesia says:

“For context, I barely played Fallout: New Vegas upon release because, despite sterling wordsmiths Obsidian handling it, I found Fallout 3’s engine and especially combat too distractingly wonky to deal with. As much as I wanted to I just couldn’t lose myself to the wasteland, because the wasteland looked and felt like Team America recreating Riverdance on some mudflats.”

THANK YOU.

I don’t know how these guys got away with this game.

I’ve tried to start New Vegas about five times, and can’t get past even the first few hours, on account of how just fucking ugly absolutely everything is. There is *nothing* that pleases the eye in this game. I tried a bunch of mods, but the base engine is just too terrible. I might give it another shot with these ones.

• Lars Westergren says:

> I don’t know how these guys got away with this game.

I heard someone wrote a negative review somewhere that got very well recieved. *trollface*

> I’ve tried to start New Vegas about five times, and can’t get past even the first few hours, on account of how just
      > fucking ugly absolutely everything is. There is *nothing* that pleases the eye in this game.

I thought it was quite beautiful from the start. I loved the faded desert/western aesthetic, with the rare dust devils swirling.

Andy_Panthro says:

” I barely played Fallout: New Vegas upon release because, despite sterling wordsmiths Obsidian handling it, I found Fallout 3’s engine and especially combat too distractingly wonky to deal with.”

I completed NV (and FO3), but I never bothered much with the DLC because of this. I just got so annoyed with the crap combat and engine that I just didn’t want to play it any more. I have yet to play Skyrim for similar reasons (it looks far too much like Oblivion part 2, and I’ve played enough Oblivion for one lifetime).

12. apa says:

Had to re-read The WIT again ;) I wonder if some colour would’ve made it more positive…

13. caff says:

Great to see this article just as I reinstall the game (based on lots of people here ranting about how good it is).

14. jonfitt says:

Come, friendly bombs, and fall on Slough!
    It isn’t fit for humans now,
    There isn’t grass to graze a cow.
    Swarm over, Death!
    – Sir John Betjemann

• JB says:

Not too many bombs though, please. We do have some grass nowadays.

15. Stevostin says:

Omg so much poppycock.

1) 99% of mods for any game are garbage. The myth of “this game only live through mods” is a myth of players who never played enough vanilla to realise that most of what they like actually was in Vanilla (generally better). Especially true for visual mods. The magical thinking of one guy somewhere has beaten the entire art department of a top brass publisher is only true when you have terrible taste. Be assured that the other 0.5% of people playing this with that awful mod you think is great are a statistical proof of what a small delusional true you are at the end of the day

2) still 1% are 1-5 mods that are indeed (very) enjoyable tweaks and yes they’re not the same for everyone. For me AFAICR in Fallout (both 3 and FNV, after trying a dozen for both) that sums up to “the mod that convert AP to bullet time” and add headgear rendering in FPV for immersion. There must also be one inventory mod but don’t expect any miracle, it’s a drag, especially in FNV.

And that’s all for me.

If you can’t stand Fallout 3’s fight but think X-Com fights are something to be praised, I fell sorry for you. Visually F3 / FNV are superior, no doubt, and strategically equivalent: null. Else the advantage to play it as poor FPS: at least something happens during fights.

I completely sympathise with the issue of “damn, I really can’t get into that game”. I had this issues with… basically every non FPV RPG save for KOTOR and ME. I do hope there’s one mod for you that helps play it, but I don’t even get the “wonky” bits about fight. What’s wonky there exactly ? How is it wonkier than X-Com, Mass Effect, Wasteland 2, Fallout 2 or anything else to you ? I am sure you have criteria but name them.

• Stevostin says:

Exemple of poor choices:
      – NMC’s Textures if that’s the one I remember add texture with completely unbalanced contrast. So you end up with texture that offend the eye because they do not fit at all with the numerous unmodified texture they don’t handle.
      – ENB are a magic mod to destroy all art direction, kill fps and make games look super ugly while enchanting geeks with not a single gram of taste. It’s the visual equivalent of changing OST to some Duran Duran and claiming “omg it’s so much better”.
      – Nevada Skies mod was ok AFAICR
      – Wasteland Flora Overhaul: if you go that way why not add Scottish grass fields ? I mean to everyone their taste but real Mojave looks like FNV. It’s not green in the slightiest.
      – Fallout Character Overhaul completely destroy consistency amongst faces last time I checked. Hard effort to have faces that looks as generic as in any bloody other games because real non spectacular faces are hard enough to cope with IRL I guess.

Again, use the FPS/Action mod that allow for AP to become bullet time. That’s the only real worthy addition I found good enough that I’d want to have it if I do a 3rd play true (1st Vanilla, 2nd with mods).

• caff says:

I’d agree – installed the flora overhaul mod, texture packs and character pack and my eyes started bleeding with the mess of it all.

I must say that the IMAGINATOR depth of field effect on HIGHEST setting is well worth having. To get it working in game you need to enable it within your items in your Pip boy.

Grizzly says:

I disagree with your assessment on Wasteland Flora Overhaul. As my argument I have here a picture of Goodsprings, Nevada:

link to upload.wikimedia.org

• Shakes999 says:

My experience with mods involving any Bethesda game, (Skyrim, Fallout, Fallout New Vegas).

-Read some tutorials
      -Download some mods.
      -Game crashes at loading screen
      -Spend a hour researching what went wrong
      -Spend the next few hours trying to find which mod doesn’t work
      -Game is now completely fucked and won’t even get to the main menu
      -Uninstall and start over
      -Smash face on desk
      -Take a deep breath and start over
      -Install mods a bit more carefully
      -Game loads
      -Success! You’re playing the game!
      -Game crashes every 15 minutes
      -Uninstall game, extend middle finger to your tower and swear off mods forever.

I spent a hundred hours on the vanilla game and loved it. Even when the game did work with mods, it was still the same f-ing game just prettier. So completely over-rated.

• badmothergamer says:

The above is correct, but if you continue trying, learn the tools, and get a stable modded game going, you’ll never be able to go back to vanilla again. I played Fallout 3 vanilla, then heavily modded, but when FNV came out, I could barely play vanilla and began installing mods on day one. Plus, it’s easier than ever with things like the STEP guide, which, as you might guess, walk you through every “step” of setting up a game with tons of mods that will run even stabler than the vanilla game, thanks to mods like NV stutter remover, NV anti-crash, 4gb enabler, etc.

• OmNomNom says:

Overrated because you cant follow instructions properly doesn’t sound like a fair verdict

• Shakes999 says:

I see reading comprehension doesn’t suit you

“Even when the game did work with mods, it was still the same f-ing game just prettier. So completely over-rated.”

So sorry to puncture your precious time-sink illusion.

• OmNomNom says:

You are wrong

16. weltensturm says:

This game died to me the moment I realized there was no way to change the language from German to English.

17. Person of Interest says:

I used Wrye Bash to deftly handle my collection of Oblivion and Skyrim mods, although it took me many hours to get comfortable with it and the accompanying tools. But when I began playing modded F:NV for the first time a few months ago, I started with Mod Organizer ( link to wiki.step-project.com ) instead, and I highly recommend it. It has good in-app tutorials, useful warnings and suggested solutions for mod compatibility issues, and a well-organized walkthrough on the wiki. And the way it handles mods using virtual directories means activating/deactivating/reordering mods is much faster than Wrye Bash was. It’s not flawless, but I thought it did a great job of helping me manage the complexity of a heavily-modded F:NV.

18. Universal Quitter says:

4GB New Vegas is the only “must have,” in my opinion.

Trying to pick out the “best” from such a massive selection of mods just feels so arbitrary. You really do just have to browse the nexus and go with your own taste.

It makes the total war modding community look like crap.

19. skyturnedred says:

Gopher’s tutorials on Youtube are a good starting point.

Grizzly says:

I used to mod a lot, but these days I mostly play vanilla. As much as a lot of the game design decisions are not always good, they’re internally consistent and often just feel right for the engine. A mod like FWE for FO3 adds a lot of stuff that breaks consistency and stands out.
    The JSaywer mod for FNV does not have this problem at all, mind you, which is why I like it so much.

FNV, for example, tries to evoke a certain feel with it’s overabundance of warm colours and western music. For me, adding in mods that change that removes some of the game’s feel.

As such, I mainly stick to very light tweaks and music radio mods.

21. zentropy says:

No one mod will get that sorted…

Maybe someone has mentioned this above, but I find this guide an excellent starting point for the uninitiated.

link to wiki.step-project.com

22. sonson says:

This is two year’s old now so might not be up to date, but at the point it was to the best of my knowledge the most transparent one article guide to comprehensively modding New Vegas . I know because I wrote it after having failed to find anything similar. So come get some.

link to rockpapershotgun.com

• badmothergamer says:

Great post, but if anyone is looking for something up-to-date (updated yesterday actually), the STEP project mentioned by several folks and linked by Zentropy above is the best current guide to modding FNV.

• sonson says:

Then don’t read my guide anymore. Go to this place instead.

Fly you fools!

23. DXN says:

This does more than just graphics, but I’m playing a run-through with DUST Survival Simulator and most of its recommended mods, plus I think a couple of the more popular mods that fix faces and animations, and it looks bloody gorgeous.

24. Strangerator says:

If you are the type who likes to play the radio with old-timey songs, I highly recommend Mohave Music Radio – Extended. It expands the station to 85 tracks to keep you from hearing as many repeats.

25. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Just play one of the greatest games of the decade without all this garbage. It’s fine. It really is.