Shadow Warrior 2 Slices ‘N’ Dices In 13 Mins Of Gameplay

Shadow Warrior 2 [official site] looks full of places I’d like to swim, and I can’t think of a higher compliment to pay a game’s environment artists.

Shadow Warrior 2 also looks full of some of the nicest-looking first-person shooting I’ve seen out of E3. A new 13-minute gameplay trailer shows off the demo build they took to E3, with Lo Wang and a co-op pal fighting demons through a village’s streets and over its rooftops, into a temple. The speed and slickness of it all looks cool as heck. Check out this cool murder:

I know, right? The dodges, dashes, and mantling as they zip around the rooftops look great fun. As a child of Quake, I sorely miss expressive movement in modern FPSs. The stabbing, shooting, arrowing, and magicking all look a lark too – though I can’t imagine I’ll find much use for that invisibility power.

The sequel brings an expanded arsenal of weapons (70, they say), magic powers, and trinkets, along with four-player co-op and procedurally-generated environments. I wonder whether they cherry-picked the level for this demo. Still, what’s on show looks pretty decent in the main combat areas at least. And in those lovely, lovely swimming spots.

Sadly, we’ll need to wait until 2016 for Shadow Warrior 2.

1. Det. Bullock says:

Am I the only one who used almost always the katana in the first Shadow Warrior?

I think I might have used the other weapons only in the boss fights.

• Jiskra says:

i loved slashing up some demons
      demonslicing in shadow warrior 2013 was so satifying

• amcathlan says:

You wern’t. For bosses, I took an exception to my oath and deigned to use the SMG. Otherwise, katana only all the way through. Tried to use the ranged katana magic-slash on the bosses, but it just traveled too slow. Best fps in a good long time.

• derbefrier says:

nope i did they exact same thing

• ansionnach says:

On what difficulty? You get killed very quickly in Shadow Warrior only using the sword. Unless you mean the recent game.

• Det. Bullock says:

The new one of course, the old one isn’t my cup of tea.

• Napalm Sushi says:

Apart from the bosses, I only switched away from the sword to initiate fights, gun down flying enemies and pop suicide bombers. I very quickly got the impression that it’s supposed to be the primary weapon.

2. Det. Bullock says:

*curses lack of edit button*

I really like that there are new melee weapons, I always had a soft spot for First Person Slashers since Jedi Knight, guns are good but swords and other stabby things are awesome.

• amcathlan says:

Agreed, though I see they din’t take my un-voiced request to heart (damn non-mind readers) and add more/better human swordsmen enemies. Remember that temple courtyard in the first one where you faced off against 15-25 possessed humans with swords and uzis? Must have played my auto-save from that 150 times, no magic attacks and taiko drums running in the background. Miyamoto Musashi as fark. Melee really was excellent, though it could have done with a timed parry.

3. Bweahns says:

I was thoroughly enjoying that video until around 1:45 in when the dialogue started. Ugh!

• Blackrook says:

I thought exactly the same- why craft a beautiful game world in terms of graphics and spoil it with a voice over
      and lines a ten year old might have made.

• amcathlan says:

Too much….WANG for you to handle?

• Jalan says:

That’s practically a cornerstone of Shadow Warrior (the juvenile humor). The only thing Flying Wild Hog didn’t want to do was carry over the “offensive”/cartoon-y stereotype vibe of the original.

4. Jiskra says:

this game won E3 in my opinion, nothing left me more hyped then this gameplay video

5. derbefrier says:

I had so much fun with the first game this is just looking like a bigger and better version of that. I especially like that the levels are looking a lot bigger. Cant wait to get my hands on some more wang.

6. tonicer says:

Mmmmh gamepad gameplay videos are my favorite, what a quick and easy way to get that sweet sweet nausea feel.

7. Hunchback says:

That ninja guy @1:30 used to be an adventurer…

• Jalan says:

Until he changed professions and became a ninja.

Ha ha ha… dead horse.

• Hunchback says:

Hey don’t look at me, i am not the designer of the bad jokes.
        Then again, this game is MADE of bad jokes, it’s inevitable… I mean, the main character is called Wang…

• Jalan says:

There’s bad jokes and then there’s memes that tire out fast and warrant questioning as to whether they were actually funny from the start or not (“Arrow to the knee”, Shia LaBeouf’s green screen shenanigans, the list goes on). Shadow Warrior has the former in spades, thankfully.

8. Jalan says:

Looking good. Ground roll animation still needs work though or at least something to make it not seem as awkward (I don’t know why I notice it here more than I did previously).

9. Hunchback says:

The last few years we’ve seen a big drought in good FPS games. Everything is generic, military-based, “realistic” or just dull. Gladly, every once and a while a real gem comes out, like the Bioshock series, the Metro series and the Shadow Warrior reboot.

I am very glad they are making a SW2, it’s probably gonna be a ton of fun. The new Doom is also a long overdue returning member to the genre.

10. vorador says:

The first one was a ton of fun. In fact seeing this i’m getting an itch to replay it and this time do a katana playtrough.

Getting this for sure.

11. Blain says:

So the new Shadow Warrior is a mash-up with Dying Light?

I’m cautiously optimistic.

12. Orageon says:

Can’t stop drooling. I am actually completing Shadow Warrior 2013 right now, long overdue and was sitting in my steam list, waiting for attention.
    I am having so much of a blast, sword fighting is very satisfying, weapons and their upgrades complement it well, as well as the powers. All while keeping the spirit of the first Shadow Warrior which I adored (along with Duke Nukem and Blood, my trilogy of choice for the oldies).
    Glad to see coop, bigger levels and new melee weapons. I think they covered the original feel of Shadow Warrior with their first remake, and now it is ok to expand a bit. Gosh, they even have almost stealth-like possibilties with that invisibility ninjutsu thing. Not fitting the original spirit but it’s ok, it looks very cool and matches more open and enemy-filled levels.
    Can’t wait ! My biggest hype from E3 as well ! And I dig most of the bad jokes, I love how it builds this contradictory between the gorgeous levels and the silly humour. It gives a special touch of badasserie.