Sneaky Sneaky: The Swindle Breaking Into July

After four years, one cancellation, and one uncancellation, The Swindle [official site] is faring better than the third Ben & Dan game. What’s going on with that, HEY DAN? Anyway, it seems The Swindle will see the light of day, as Size Five Games have announced a release date: July 28th.

The Swindle’s a 2D steampunk sneak-o-stealing game about pulling heists in procedurally-generated levels, dodging guards and security to hack systems and swipe loot. Come watch creator Dan Marshall be – ha ha – totally rubbish at his own game, the big fool.

As your naughty thief starts accruing a small fortune, you can get abilities and skills that’ll help you break into stronger, better-protected places to steal more cash and then get better gear to… it’s a vicious circle that I imagine leads to you stealing the moon. You need to get back out of these places alive, of course.

Apparently that can prove a problem, as Dan shows in this video he made of himself trying to be cool and ‘down’ with the youths but dying. Witness him, see his mediocrity:

Ha ha you chuffing great dolt.

[Disclosure: though I’ve always been unkind to Dan when I’ve seen him, I’m quite fond of him. Someone has to keep that bravado in check, yeah?]

1. AL-97 says:

Oh yes, it’s the question of questions: what’s going on with the third Ben & Dan game?

2. fco says:

can’t wait for this

3. jonahcutter says:

If you can’t ruthlessly mock the failings of your friends, what good are they?

4. Nathan_G says:

Been following this for what feels like ages now, and it looks fantastic. I’m really looking forward to it. I hope it does really well for Dan, BTDT and TGP are ace, and Gun Monkeys deserved to do better than it did!

5. Ejia says:

See, this is the kind of heist game I want – instead of armed robbery, I want to use stealth for theft with as little violence on my part as possible. I feel like the Thief games had a bit too much in the way of murdery options.

I think there was another recent game with a similar premise. I want to say it was The Marvelous Miss Take, but I could be, er, mistaken.

• Ross Angus says:

But he’s murdering innocent robots! Robots!

• Xocrates says:

Define “similar premise”. The Marvelous Miss Take is indeed a non-violent stealth game about stealing stuff, but this seems to have a significantly different approach.

• Ejia says:

The “non-violent stealth game about stealing stuff” bit is what I mean about premise. Should I have said “concept” instead? I don’t mind different ways of execution as long as it’s “steal stuff sans stabbing (or shooting, or…)”.