Page Turner: Dreamfall Chapters Book 3 Released

Sunshiney day.

The release date was announced at short notice so you may not have noticed: Book Three of Dreamfall Chapters [official site] came out last night. It continues the story two months later, so hey – it’s kinda like the characters have been waiting for this next episode too.

The adventure game’s also on sale at half-price to celebrate the launch, down to £12.09 on GOG and £11.99 on Steam.

I am so very far behind on all things Dreamfall – I’m still nursing a Longest Journey save from, oh, just after Zoë enters Arcadia – so I’ll defer to this here description from Red Thread to explain what’s going on:

“Version 3.0 of Dreamfall Chapters continues the parallel adventures of Zoë Castillo in Stark and Kian Alvane in Arcadia. Following the explosive events of Book Two, Realms picks up the story two months later — and much has changed.

“Featuring brand new locations and characters, new challenges, choices and consequences, and hours of exploration and adventure, Book Three is the continuation you’ve all been waiting for!”

If you say so, boss. Red Thread note that there is a bug which may cause missing/wrong choices between Book Two and Three. They’re working on a fix, but it’ll require folks to replay the last few minutes of Book Two. Also coming “soon” are the French and German localisations.

Here’s a new trailer showing Kian’s side of things:

And a slightly older one about what Zoë’s up to:

1. somnolentsurfer says:

They keep releasing on nights when I’m busy! Playing this now.

2. spabbremse says:

I wasn’t enthralled at all with the original Dreamfall, so I am waiting until all episodes are out before I decide to pick this one up. Reviews so far have /not/ been glowing.

• TheManko says:

If you didn’t like Dreamfall you can probably skip Chapters.

• bobbyk says:

Yeah i’m a huge fan TLJ but i can’t remember much from Dreamfall except boredom.. Kinda figure that’s a sign not to play Chapters

• Booker says:

Well this game isn’t for everyone. It’s slow-paced and doesn’t have any action sequences. They removed the fight scenes from Dreamfall, which I thought was a good idea. It’s now a mix of Dreamfall and the Telltale games. Each book contains certain choices that carry over to the next. I didn’t expect this, but apparently this is what such games have to have right now and it fits the game, I have to say.

But yeah, if you didn’t like Dreamfall I don’t see you liking this. It’s similar with better graphics, of course and… it’s simply the continuation to Dreamfall.

• Toadsmash says:

It’s a bit of an acquired taste because of the puzzles, but if you enjoy a good story, the writing is second to very little else out there. It’s a game that feels like it could really stand a “story” mode where you can just skip the weak gameplay portions. The writing in Kian’s sequences especially isn’t perfect, but Zoe in particular is such a heartbreakingly human character that it’s almost eerie at times. The situations that Ragnar drops his characters into can be pretty outlandish, but there are a lot of writers out there who could take a leaf from him when it comes to making his characters believable in spite of that. I can’t emphasize enough how special an experience that writing can be in its best moments, and it makes up for the lackluster gameplay several times over if you don’t mind the more walking simulator-esque games.

Don Reba says:

Ever since the first book, the fans have been clamoring for more slow-moving baby mini-games, and the third does not disappoint.

Ninja Dodo says:

I’m looking forward to playing this – backed it on Kickstarter – but I wanted to refresh my memory so I replayed The Longest Journey first. Playing other stuff now but going to replay Dreamfall, the first, later and hopefully by then all the Books will be out and I can binge play this in one go.

5. DanMan says:

That looks like a Witcher 2 screenshot. Weird, shiny skin tone and all.

6. Big Murray says:

THE BLOOM!!! THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!!!