Greenscreened Beat ‘Em Up Streets Of Fury Released

The novelty of a side-scrolling beat ’em up with green-screened characters was enough for me to want us to post about Streets of Fury: Extended Edition [official site]. With my News Editor powers, I made it so. But since then, I’ve seen a fair few people saying good things about the original Xbox Live Indie Games version which this builds upon. What seemed a curious throwback might actually be some pretty fun man-punching. You can see for yourself, as it launched last night (a week later than planned), out on Steam for £5.94. It looks a bit like an ultraviolent Blingee.

Streets of Fury brings beat ’em action to (and under) the rues of Paris, where a gang has taken over so your gang is called in to duff them up. Along with walking from left to right, it’s got plenty of punches, kicks, combos, cancels, dodges, juggles, and other fighting game-y bits.

Also, it has that ridiculous visual style. The photosourcing is of varying quality, and jars with the backgrounds and everything but… it’s kind of charming, isn’t it? Quaint. The actors have really gotten into their roles, with goofy exaggerated beat ’em up style movements. They’ve clearly enjoyed raiding a fancy dress shop for some of their odd outfits too.

I’m afraid I don’t have time to play it myself just yet, but perhaps you might fancy investigating?

1. Monkeh says:

I can find a lot of graphic-styles charming (pixel-art/polygon-art/etc.), but these greenscreened type “graphics” just look utterly disgusting to me. And yes I know, gameplay > graphics, but I do have to be able to look at a game without constantly cringing and not being immersed at all. I guess Mother Russia Bleeds will be more my thing, at least graphics-wise.

• grimdanfango says:

Something tells me they didn’t select this particular visual style to look realistic or beautiful. They’re clearly parodying the ultra-cheese of early 90’s digitised characters à-la Mortal Kombat. If it doesn’t make you laugh, it’s probably not going to appeal :-)

• king0zymandias says:

I am fairly confident that the primary reason behind why they went this route is the lack of artists and animators.

• Kitsunin says:

Mm, that might be the root cause, but I think it has a certain appeal. It’s difficult to have a unique aesthetic nowadays, and this certainly does, so that’s very much something.

• Trent Hawkins says:

Yeah, that’s a fairly safe bet.
          If they were going for the Mortal Kombat look they would have gone with a much lower frame rate, cleaned up the photos a lot more and stick with a lower res blockier look. As it is it just looks like a hot mess.

• Person of Interest says:

I think it takes more inspiration from Pit Fighter than Mortal Kombat. And judging from the trailer, I think they’ve wonderfully captured Pit Fighter’s so-bad-it’s-good visual style.

2. edwardh says:

“it’s kind of charming, isn’t it?”

I have to disagree. I think it looks like shit.
    And I am a huge fan of e.g. Gabriel Knight 2 and Phantasmagoria. So I’m actually for video footage in games. But it has to be done well. And in this case, it wasn’t.

3. davorable says:

I like the visuals, I think they have charm. The gameplay looks cool too.

BlueTemplar says:

It’s a bit of a journalistic failure that you haven’t mentioned that one of the playable characters is a well-known Youtuber : Benzaie :
    link to youtube.com

Could we have Total Biscuit, Angry Joe, and Jim Sterling as playable characters?

BlueTemplar says:

Never mind, this is arguably a better video :

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Or, maybe she just didn’t give a tit about some youtuber?