We All Float Up Here! Tales Of Cosmos Has A Demo

Look at that cute widdle doggie, just look at 'im

Pretty much every kid has dreams about being an astronaut. Unfortunately, space-themed games are about as close as we are going to get. Like so many modern adventure games, Tales of Cosmos [official site] was inspired by 90’s classics. There’s a twist, though. Where many of its genre-siblings can be a bit linear, this sci-fi extravaganza features an open world for its spacedog to roam around. And it has a demo on Steam for you to poke at Right Now!

More importantly, it has a dog. A very cute canine astronaut named Perseus the Dog. At least, I assume that’s his full name. Why else would Dog be capitalized, eh? Eh. Anyway. Tales of Cosmos will have you directing Perseus and his companion squid-monkey-dude Professor Gagayev through a series of strange, alien worlds. According to the Steam page, you’ll be able to recruit bizarre lifeforms, explore other planets, and “unravel a cosmic mystery.” Also meet Napoleon-like ghost things because hey, why not?

Deliciously, Tales of Cosmos comes with modding capabilities, meaning you too will be able to design interstellar adventures of grotesquely epic proportions. Or, just dinking around in this weird, children’s book universe. The full game itself is still under development, with a release date hovering in the general vicinity of ‘later this year.’ Unfortunately, when that is exactly is still up in the stratosphere. (Haha. See what I did there? Har. Ha.)

1. edwardh says:

What a weird reference in the title considering the game has nothing to do with it. It’s nice though to be reminded of this classic. Especially while “The Cure – Lullaby” is running in the background, which I find more fitting than the game. Coincidence? How many people will read this and think “WTF is this insane guy talking about?”. I find that thought way more amusing than I probably should…

• stiffkittin says:

I take it you’re referring to an ‘It’ reference? Still trying to figure out if that’s what Cassandra was going for, or if it’s a strange, dissonant coincidence. Maybe tying it to the idea of childhood, storybook, nostalgia or something?

• edwardh says:

It would be quite odd if it wasn’t on purpose. Because how often does anybody utter the phrase “We all float”? ;)
        Anyway, I’m glad some people were able to follow my thoughts. ;)

• YogSo says:

Having finished reading the book for the first time ever just a week ago, I caught that reference immediately. The game looks intriguing, though I don’t think Cassandra was trying to make any link with the title beyond “in space, you float as well”.

• Lexx87 says:

The final 1/4 of that book is some of the maddest stuff, but still brilliant. The scene with the kids is rather…something.

• Gordon Shock says:

…and I thought I was gonna be special be knowing where tht reference came from. Oh well, I should learn that the RPS’s crowd is a lot more cultured than the ones find in other websites ;)

2. Lexx87 says:

You lot are thinking way too much for a fun little post title.

• edwardh says:

I prefer to see it as gestures of appreciation for Cassandra’s efforts.