The RPS Bargain Bucket: Witch Witcher is Which?

Want the week’s best gaming deals? Step below. Includes the excellent Deus Ex: Human Revolution, the odd Remember Me, and the final version of Dark Souls II.

The Witcher 3
$40.94/£26.00/€36.66
I’ve been quite enchanted by the Witcher 3, even though the first two games only ever elicited a shrug. But I’ve come around. I like the game. I like the game a lot. Possibly because it includes a collectible card game, which has literally been eating all of my spare time. (Must. Collect. More. Gwent. Cards.) Jokes aside, Witcher 3 surprises with its periodic depth, its moments of melancholy, and self-aware humour. There are things I would change, of course. (The targeting system deeply aggravates.) But overall, this is a game to get lost in. (I have lost myself in the brush more times than I can count.)

Remember Me
$5.65/£3.59/€5.06
I wrote a review about this game ages and ages ago for another outlet. Spoiler: I’ve mixed feelings about it. On one hand, I wouldn’t suggest Remember Me at full price. On the other, it’s actually a bargain right now? Dontnod Entertainment did shockingly wonderful things with the visuals this one, creating a futuristic Paris that just invites exploration. Unfortunately, it’s not the sort of game that allows you to wander off the path. Also, the scatter-shot plotline, repetitive combat, and occasionally awkward writing didn’t help at all. (Side note: I was completely floored with Life is Strange, which is both beautiful and well-penned. Goodness, such an improvement!) Either way, now’s a great time to pick up Remember Me, a cyberpunk action game of sorts that will have you remixing memories and trundling about to find out what happened to its well-heeled lead. (Make sure to remember the JUN-SUMMERSALE-RED25 discount.)

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Just a buck. Seriously.
In conjunction with the Square Enix’s 15th anniversary, they’ve come together with charity outfit Game Changer to offer Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Director’s Cut to anyone who donates at least $1. Yes, a buck to a good cause will not only net you nominal amounts of karma but also a ridiculously cheap copy of an extraordinarily good game. (Yes, yes. The ending leaves much to be desired for, but the rest of the game? I will fight anyone who says it is not at least quite enjoyable.)

Dark Souls II: Scholars of the First Sin -$23.14/£14.62/€20.72
Dark Souls, Dark Souls. Oh, Dark Souls. Do you really need an introduction? You’re the game for the modern masochist, a tale of obsession, a study of stand-offish goodness. You hate your players, but we love you. And now, you’re going for quite bloody cheap.

Yarr! A Pirate Bundle! – $2/£1.27/€1.79
Do you need more pirates in your life? Of course, you do. Everyone needs pirates. Small pirates, big pirates, pirates with eye patches, pirates without eye patches, pirates who are also parrot whisperers. Groupees’ Yarrr! Bundle contains more aquatic brigands than any one person can do with. From video games to music albums, it has them all — the question is if you’ll like them.

The Charnel House Trilogy – $3.59/£2.28/€3.21
I’ve a soft spot for horror games. Despite no ability to play them at all without lurching out of my skin, I tend to collect them, squirreling them away for that proverbial day when I get enough courage to sneak through the jumpscares. That said, I’ve heard rather positive things about The Charnel House Trilogy.

Evolve – $17.72/£17.72/€24.99
Ever fancied playing as a gigantic monster of questionable calibre? Or as part of a four-man monster hunting unit? Really? You’re in luck then. Evolve’s probably completely up your alley. The game seems dependent on whether you can amass a group of decent players. Otherwise, it’d just be a little silly instead.

1. rustybroomhandle says:

Bob the Witcher… Can he witch it?

(um, carry on… bargains yay, etc)

Henke says:

That Dark Souls 2 link leads to the Witcher 3. At €20.72 it sounds like a tempting deal tho.

james.hancox says:

Quite a few other deals on that Funstock Digital sale, and that voucher code works for all of them- just picked up Lara Croft and the Temple of Light for slightly over two quid.

james.hancox says:

Ugh, Guardian of Light not Temple of Light. Yay generic video game titles

• Sepulchrave76 says:

Good tip! Just saved a few quid on Dark Souls 2, bringing it down to the £14.62 price listed above. Would have been nice to have had that detail pointed out somewhere in the description, really.

4. AriochRN says:

I enjoyed Remember Me, though I followed RPS (I think) advice and selected French dialogue with English subtitles. Worked for me!

• RimeOfTheMentalTraveller says:

Why is that? I just bought it (thanks for the coupon Cassandra!!!), does it have better voice acting than the English? Or something else?

• AriochRN says:

Well for me it’s a coherency thing. It’s a French future game starring French future people in Future Paris…who speak American. Unless they’re bad guys, then they’re English.

• TechnicalBen says:

I think, in some strange minds, that’s still internally consistent. ;)

They imagine all good guys are American, and all badguys are English. Though I assume it was down to casting/recording studio costs it was not a more French cast (goons included :P ).

zapatapon says:

As a french person, I most often find myself preferring english voices in games, even for games produced by french studios. Either the english actors doing video games recording are better, or more probably, because I am not an english native speaker, the possibly bad acting and/or dialogue doesn’t jar me as much in that language.

5. Jokerme says:

Deus Ex charity thing is broken right now. I’ve donated but haven’t gotten my copy yet. Obviously there are many people in the same situation. Just a warning.

• Person of Interest says:

The fine print says the keys won’t be delivered until early July 2015.

• Jokerme says:

Oh OK. I didn’t see that. Thanks.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Weird, I just did it and got my key straight away.

• Jokerme says:

They sent my key today too. Probably that early June part was added after the problems for damage control, but I can’t be sure.

6. NaN says:

That pic remind me to Ubisoft Logo…..

7. Sepulchrave76 says:

The Dark Souls 2 link actually redirects to the Witcher 3.

8. alw says:

Blade Symphony is the daily over on IndieGameStand. I haven’t tried it yet (got it in the Steam Summer Sale) but have heard lots of good things about it.

link to indiegamestand.com

9. d32 says:

Remember Me is cheaper at site called gamesrocket.com. I think it is legitimate.
    Link:
    link to gamesrocket.com

10. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Witcher 3 deal is showing as £28.99 and already out of stock :(

It’s £26.95 on gamesrocket but I’ve never heard of them and looks like one of those grey area “We’ll e-mail you a picture of a retail box code” sites. Hmm.

11. Didero says:

Does that Deus Ex charity drive give you a Steam key? I vaguely recall Squenix having their own portal, and I’d rather not have to create an account somewhere else.

12. patstew says:

Witcher 3 is £19.99 on cdkeys.com

13. AndreiCristian90 says:

Ugh, should I get into Dark Souls II? I mean, I played Demon’s Souls on PS3 ages ago, and I nearly destroyed my controller. Now I’m a more calm, jaded, man. I’m playing The Witcher 3 at the moment, but it crashes – I don’t know who fucked up CDProjekt Red, or Nvidia, but anyway, I’m putting it on hold for a while until they fix the annoying crashes.

Dark Souls 2 sounds awesome, and from what I’ve been seeing on forums it’s a pretty great game – although slow at times.