Lost Horizon 2 … Reannounced?

I think you lost me

Fenton Paddock might sound like the name of a bipedal fish, but he’s actually the hero of Lost Horizon 2 [official site], a graphical adventure that has you scampering through the Iron Curtain to rescue his family. If that sounds weirdly familiar, it’s because the game was apparently supposed to come out in 2014. So much for that. Harumph.

I’m not really sold on the premise, to be honest. Embattled dude-soldier must rescue his family from nefarious powers. Along the way, he faces the “dark powers of his past,” explore “mysterious, uncharted territory” beyond the Iron Curtain, and “confront his own demons.” Hmm. Hmm, indeed. (It doesn’t help that we didn’t seem massively impressed with the first iteration of the game too.) Also, on a related note, am I the only person who thinks Fenton looks very much like like Geralt and Nathan Drake squashed into one face? I could just be seeing things. Maybe.

Developed in Unity 5.0, Lost Horizons 2 apparently boasts of a “new, vigorous and rich 3D world with intricate, immersive detail” AND “hand-crafted charm.” The game is scheduled for release in Germany on August 28th, and will find its way onto other digital platforms around October 2nd. Unless something happens again.

1. Simbosan says:

Just woke up, brain fuzzy and wandering and thinking, “every game I have played was some kind of adventure and they all had graphics”

Wasn’t there a game where it was just sound and you needed headphones? Oh indeed there’s a whole ‘audio only’ game thing going on. Might be worth a try being as I’m a part time sound engineer! Wonder if they are adventures

pegolius says:

Even though the first game was cheesy and full of adventure clichés I still enjoyed it quite a bit because I can be had for anything that is adventurey and smells a bit like Indiana Jones. And the graphics were pretty nice as far as I remember. So, I’ll probably buy this one as well. Because.

3. Sarfrin says:

That article was from 2010, so an impressively long delay.

4. Eight Rooks says:

Nah, the first one was rubbish. The art was quite pretty in places, but that was about it – otherwise it was yet another half-assed riff on Shangri-La with poorly written characters, no sense of peril or adventure whatsoever, lots of deeply uncomfortable, semi-racist accents (several of the Chinese NPCs seemed to veer perilously close to ME SO SOLLY) and some of the worst arbitrary adventure game nonsense-puzzles I’ve ever come across. The one with the ketchup was almost up there with the fake moustache from Gabriel Knight, the kind of thing that has me thinking the entire genre is basically chasing diminishing returns at best, fundamentally broken at worst. It’ll do moderately well in Europe, in five years’ time it’ll have a scant handful of people in forgotten corners of the internet tearfully wondering why it’s not hailed as a classic, everyone else will have forgotten about it, end of story.

Waltorious says:

In the land of the lost horizon
    Where the queen lies dark and cold
    And when the stars won’t shine
    Then the story’s told

When the world was milk and honey
    And the magic was strong and true
    Then the strange ones came
    And the people knew

That the chains were on

–RIP Dio

6. phlebas says:

Very nice. Now can we have Culpa Innata 2, please?