Vroom! Defunct Robot Speeds Through Defunct Trailer

Defunct [official site] is a high-octane adventure starring a very small robot with very small ambitions and very big problems. After plummeting from a cargo ship, it’s now your purpose in life to figure out how to get back on the vessel. Of course, there’s a problem. You aren’t very good at self-propulsion. As such, you’re going to have to figure out how to make use of the environment and whatever flammable objects you can find.

Your main tool in Defunct is this piece of technology called the ‘gravitize engine’ which, in turn, generates a separate gravity around you. It isn’t a cure-all, obviously. If you use it downhill, you’ll accelerate. But if you use it uphill, you’ll slow down. On top of all that, Defunct will also have you zipping through junkyards, meeting other robots (who may or may not demand that you race them in this strange, machine-riddled world), and… swinging through vines? Tarzan would be deeply proud.

No release date has been provided just yet, although the website suggests that it may wheel onto our computers sometime in the third quarter. Either way, Defunct looks like it has potential. The game clinched “Game of the Year” in 2014’s Swedish Game Awards, and a variety of other nominations.

1. Barberetti says:

From their website:

“Defunct is an adventure game with a focus on flow, speed and an engaging world. You are a broken robot that accidentally falls out of a giant cargo ship onto a post-human earth, now inhabited by robots. You have to get back to your ship before it’s too late!”

That last bit makes it sound as though the whole game is on a timer, which puts me off. Looks nice though!

• Unclepauly says:

tbf almost every game with a story has you doing something before it’s too late. Kill the baddie before he splodes the world etc. I get what you’re saying though.

2. Urthman says:

I’m going to give this trailer the highest praise I can think of: This reminds me of Grow Home.

Harlander says:

I’m in favour of ‘shoddy robot traversal game’ becoming a genre (the robot is shoddy, not the game)

3. WiggumEsquilax says:

6 articles in 2 days? Did an RPS staffer accidentally lock Cassandra inside over the weekend?

4. Fluffy_Fleshwal says:

I played this game when I visited the SGA 2014 Exhibition, and I must say it was a worthy winner of Game of the Year. It had a great sense of speed and you had to really puzzle with the path you took and the gravitational drive to achieve speeds enough to reach certain places.

Definitely something to keep an eye on, considering that the SGA GOTY award has produced several good games, most notably Magicka.

5. Geebs says:

Sort of looks like Tony Hawk’s Cro-Mag Sonic Problem

6. Egypt Urnash says:

This looks to be tickling my happy places pretty nicely! Moving fast, doing tricks, and bright flat colors. Oh yeah. Slap some shibuya-kei music on the soundtrack instead of that pulsing ominous electronica and I’ll explode in glee.