Batman: Arkham Knight Mod Unlocks Other Characters

Okay, so the PC version of Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] was so shoddy that Warner Bros have temporarily removed it from sale. That doesn’t mean those of you playing despite the temperamental frame rate and occasional freeze can’t enjoy a little something not available on console, namely, a mod which allows you to play as ten characters other than Batman, from Harley Quinn to Jim Gordon. Even if Harley Quinn: Arkham Knight doesn’t have quite the same ring to it.

Interestingly, some of these characters (Red Hood and Harley) are available as part of pre-order DLC [Update: and some are playable for sections of the main game; sorry, haven’t played it yet myself – ed.] which suggests that the others may be added in future DLC. Which means the modders have snuck in and unlocked them early. Paying to unlock content that’s already on our hard drives is standard fare from Warner Bros, so that’s not too surprising, but at least getting an early glimpse might go some way to making us feel better about our second-rate version of the game. Having said that, while the characters themselves have been unlocked, their accompanying story missions won’t be available until the DLC is out. At the moment it’s more of a costume pack, though some characters don’t have the full range of abilities available to Batman.

This is obviously unofficial and not supported by Warner Bros or Rocksteady (which is why it’s a mod and not a patch), so you’ll need to do a little jiggery pokery to get it all set up. Full instructions can be found over in the description of the video below, which shows off each of the characters roaming the streets of Gotham. If you haven’t finished the game yet, it might be best to hold off as there are character spoilers included in this mod. You have been warned.

Sure you’re ready? Okay, here’s the full list of available characters: Red Hood, Harley Quinn, Nightwing, Robin, Azrael, Bruce Wayne, Catwoman, Commissioner Gordon, Joker, and GCPD Officer Owens. Or just plain old Batman, if you want.

As ever when it comes to mods, make sure you back up your saves first. This might be the perfect thing to play around with while you’re waiting for Rocksteady to fix the issues with the port.

1. Akbar says:

It’s a pity they didn’t hold it off until after the patch, I’d worry that WB will find a permanent way of preventing people from doing this and package it into the release, forcing us to choose between the unlocked crappy original release and the locked (hopefully) playable fix.

2. jasta85 says:

Locking away content on a disk behind a pay wall really is a dick move, but as long as people pay for it it’s not going to change. I got a refund on this game after the launch disaster, I’ll wait for the game of the year edition to come out and get the actual full game (and probably at a discounted price). If I have to wait this long then waiting a bit longer wont make much of a difference

3. ruaidhri.k says:

Frustratingly the game plays fine for me for a while ( a fairly steady 60fps with most bells and whistles on) then will randomly drop to 11 or 12 fps and wont go back up until i do a full reboot.

Googling around to see if i can spot a fix posted anywhere beyond unlocking the FPS (which does nowt for me) is a nightmare as I am constantly being nearly spoiled on the story.

4. HothMonster says:

Those characters, exuding the two from DLC, are all playable in the main game at some point or another. So it isn’t like they are locked away on the HDD and not used at all. They just are not available to freely use or free roam unless you have the mod. Gordon and Owen are both played in first person in game though so I wonder if they have a move-set or a full suite of animations even.

The challenge maps from the old games that let you play as other characters are missing and I am betting will probably be added back as DLC. So your point about them crippling things to sell them back to you still stands. WB tends to be shitty with its DLC practices imo.

5. bill says:

Oh, hey.. Azrael! Cool.
    I haven’t played any of these, did they do as good a job of nerfing Bane and the Knightfall storyline as all the movies have?

• HothMonster says:

Bane isn’t even in this one. The trilogy is more joker-centric. Bane was the #2 big bad in the prequel game. He was a somewhat serious threat in the first game and pretty much a joke in the second. He isn’t as smart as Knightfall Bane but definitely the dumbest representation of the character either.

The Arkhamverse is weird. You can’t take any of the big beats from the comics for granted though a lot of them happened, or something similar did. It also draws a lot from the animated series and does it’s own take on a lot of characters. Like that Azreal is Micheal Lane and would appear to be the first Azreal Batman meets and most likely an amalgamation of Valley and Lincoln.

So they use Knightfall to set up that kind of foreshadowing for the comic nerds but it is very much its own little universe and a different breaking of the bat. I imagine part of the season pass DLC is going to get into their take on Battle for the Cowl.

If you are a batfan I would definitely recommend taking a look at Asylum. It is a really good zeldavania type of game in it’s own right with a really good batman theme. You can usually get it under $10 these days and I wouldn’t call the $20 a bad deal if you like batman and these sort of games.

6. PancakeWizard says:

I really like the touch with Harley having her old persona (Dr Harleen Quinnzel) talk to her when you use her alt vision mode. Nightwing, of course, couldn’t be more boring the watch. Gordon just looks rather silly jumping on cars and wrecking them.

7. Hahaha says:

Sweet RPS are linking to mods that are unlock dlc for free….

8. MadMatty says:

lol its a “dick move” to have a few hundred megs of dlc included in the release…..downloads aside…how exactly? if youd want these characters in the original release, add another fiver or tenner to the games cost….because you know, someones gotta be paid to draw and animate these chars. Or have the basic game, at the cost its listed

• BobbyDylan says:

I’d like to imagine that when i buy a game, I buy the whole game. Not for them to break it down into it’s component parts and sell them to me in bits an pieces.

• PancakeWizard says:

This exactly. I imagine there’s a lot more money and good will in hold things like extra characters back OFF DISC and releasing them as a bundled DLC pack a week or two after release. It has the potential to swing those on the fence who haven’t bought the game at all yet.

• silentdan says:

Games sold piecemeal don’t provide the same satisfaction of purchase as an integral product. When I buy a $15 indie game, I have that game. Maybe there’ll be an expansion, or sequel, but I never worry about running into a paywall partway through. I guess what I’m saying is, too much DLC creates a metagame, where in addition to wanting to play the game well, I want to buy the game in the most optimal way. I want to make sure I don’t pay for anything I’ll never play or enjoy, lest I feel suckered. I want to make sure I’ve got everything I do want, lest I feel cheated. That’s too much mental effort for a leisure product! These days, I’m just not even going to try to process it. There may well be great value in your offer, but I can’t be bothered to find it.

Also, piracy is easy, and the main reason I don’t do it anymore is because there’s just no moral justification, given where I am in my life. I’d feel like I’m victimizing the company that made the product, and that would make me feel bad about myself. If the company that makes the product inspires sufficient anger, or demonstrates a weaker moral compass than your average software pirate … it doesn’t create a justification, but in practical terms, it annihilates my guilt, and as such, is a poor strategic move for them.

Lastly, for better or for worse, app stores and the indie scene have been driving the price of games down. AAA publishers can try to hold back the tide, but I don’t see it working long-term.

9. Fitzmogwai says:

Nice to see Jim Gordon’s got the moves to back up that shiny PVC outfit he’s wearing.

10. Apocalypse says:

Hey, I am fine with one disk DLC.
    I am fine with unlocking said DLC via a mod too.

And I am fine with not buying bullshit games at release when I can have a complete package 12 months later for half the price that actually plays like a complete game within a few fluid sessions.

I am not even interested in replaying the game 2, 4 and 6 months later each time to play between 30 minutes and up to 2 hours of additional content. It not the 5 bucks per mini-DLC that are an issue. I have quite a lot collector’s editions by now in my shelf behind me. It the simple fact that this kind of DLC lessen the game experience in comparison to playing a GOTY of the same game.

That said, it kind of ironic that the attempt of triple A publishers to create cash grab DLCs lead to me spending less on their games.

Speaking of spending and GOTY, Asylum and City are both excellent games, personally I liked the metroidvanian Arkham Asylum a little bit more, so if you have not picked them up already, I can highly recommend them. Arkham Knight might be worth recommending once there is GOTY as well or not. Time will tell.

11. plugav says:

I have to question the wisdom of giving the Red Hood an actual red hood on top of his eyeless mask.

I don’t know why this bugs me in a character whose hands magically turn into guns in combat, in a game about a man who dresses up (vaguely) as a bat.

• PancakeWizard says:

Rocksteady are usually pretty solid with the redesigns of characters, but yeah did they really need another one in a hoodie? I approve of Robin’s look though (with hood). It’s quite an achievement for him to not look a completely camp mess.

12. Gap Gen says:

Harley Quinn: Gotham Jester
    Harley Quinn: Jingle Jingle
    Harley Quinn: Not a Fascist
    Harley Quinn: Punchagoon
    Harley Quinn: Seriously Who Writes A Film Where The Bad Guys Are The 99% Goebbels Or Something
    Harley Quinn: For Real Neoliberalism Is A Scam Designed To Impoverish Nearly Everyone
    Harley Quinn: Kick Frank Miller Over And Over