Huge Terraria Update 1.3 Arrives Tomorrow

Every time another Steam sale rolls around I always grab a few extra copies of Terraria [official site]. I like to hand them out to anyone on my friends list who doesn’t own it yet. “It’s 2D Minecraft, but with actual character progression and loot and crazy monsters and and and” I tell them. If you haven’t played it yet, now is a great time to do so, since the long-awaited Patch 1.3 game will arrive tomorrow, June 30th.

The update adds a ludicrous amount of new stuff, as well as some much needed functionality tweaks. Like Steam multiplayer invitations to make playing with others much less of a headache.

As you can see from the patch notes, this is a huge update. New crafting options, new NPCs, new biomes, new areas to explore, secrets to discover, monsters to kill… Think of it more as an expansion pack than a patch. A free expansion pack. The official trailer does a good job of showing off a few of the new features, but it also sounds like developer Re-Logic is keeping a few surprises back from back the trailer and the patch notes. Half of the fun of Terraria is discovering the world for yourself.

This will probably be the last update for the game, which considering Terraria was released over four years ago feels like a pretty good innings. Even if the wait for this latest patch has been a little long. It’s been teased for almost a year now and Mac and Linux users will need to wait a little longer. The aim is to release 1.3 on those platforms “within the month of July”, which feels a little nebulous, but it’s better than “when it’s ready”.

After 1.3 launches tomorrow Re-Logic, will focus on the not-a-sequel-but-yeah-a-sequel, Terraria Otherworld, an alternate universe version of Terraria with new strategy elements. For now, though, here’s a look at Terraria 1.3:

1. caff says:

Great game developed by good guys.

If you haven’t bought it yet, now is the ideal time.

• CelestialNuzzo says:

I had somebody on Minecraft ban me from their server because I said “I want Terraria so bad”, LOL. This is why I want Terraria, and I will continue my dreams, even if my family doesn’t have enough money to purchase. xD

2. perrypanic says:

I really miss Terraria. A flatmate and I played about 200 hours together at university when it came out and after 1.1 was released. We almost always played separately with our doors open, shouting a running commentary of our games across the hall.

Unfortunately, without that sympathetic ear some of the frustrations of Terraria became a bit too much for me to deal with (notably the huge amount of time the early game takes), and then updates added so much content and made a few frustrating changes that I feel like a bit of a stranger to it now. As much as I want to see all the new content and have a proper go at hardmode I’m not sure it’ll ever happen now.

• Zanchito says:

In the past, we’ve had RPS community servers, have a look at the forums, a new one might come up!

• whorhay says:

I’ve been playing again recently and I have to agree that some of the changes like gating of bosses in hardmode is annoying and pointless.

I haven’t found early game to really be all that bad though. Heck I’ve watched a guy do a speed run to defeat the Wall of Flesh in like 24 minutes or less.

• quakelife911 says:

yea the whole game does not take long at all…. I’ve done the first boss in the first night copying a speed run

• Yglorba says:

I don’t find the early game takes that long.

One key thing worth pointing out: You can skip most of the digging / metal progression by going to the jungle as quickly as possible; with jungle equipment, you can beat the Eye of Cthulhu or the Eater of Worlds pretty early on and get the demonite ore needed for the demonite pickaxe. This lets you completely bypass the need to collect most ores (although you’ll probably want some eventually for various things.)

It takes forever to upgrade your equipment entirely through each progressive metal, but you don’t have to do that. (One of my major issues with Starbound is that they generally made it impossible to skip ahead like that, which makes the game far more grind-y.)

Qazinsky says:

Rather than a 2d Minecraft, I wish someone would make a 3d first person Terraria.

4. Crusoe says:

It’s worth mentioning that the patch notes will be far from a complete list of new features, Red the dev wisely omits anything he considers too much of a spoil; Terraria is partly about exploration and discovery, after all.

Also, HYYYYPEEE!

Ahem. I’ve been waiting for this update for a while.

• Jalan says:

You mean like:

“but it also sounds like developer Re-Logic is keeping a few surprises back from back the trailer and the patch notes.”

That’s been in the article since it went up?

• Crusoe says:

You win, I guess?

I missed that line, somehow.

• Jalan says:

I didn’t point it out to win (or what have you), just that it was already mentioned since you were writing “it’s worth mentioning”.

• Crusoe says:

I’ll add this though.

More likely to be huge swathes of content, than a few surprises.

5. Skeletor68 says:

I’m most excited for the Mac port. My gf and I will finally be able to do multiplayer without some hack-arounds.

Also wishing TB and Jesse would return to the game for the new patch. Always makes it a bit easier to get back into things and pick up on some of the changes.

6. Cvnk says:

Just hearing that music makes me want to play.

7. zeep says:

Can i be your friend Jem Alexander?

8. Shadow says:

I could never stomach Terraria’s terrible pixel art, and the game felt grindy as all hell.

Now, if only Chucklefish got their braincells together and made something worthy out of Starbound. That game had a real chance to blow Terraria out of the water, but the devs keep getting distracted implementing the most trivial, superfluous features imaginable, constantly procrastinating the work the main systems require.

• whorhay says:

I really prefer the art of Terraria over Starbound, which is funny because I think the artist is actually the same.

• quakelife911 says:

yea terraria is 1000 times better than starbound

• SomeDuder says:

There’s some weird incestuous relationship between Terraria and Starbound, but yea, visually its not quite the same. Myself, I prefer pixel art, which so very evocative of SNES-era Square J-RPGs like the Mana and Chrono Trigger. Starbound’s smoothed out sprites dont do it for me.

And Starbounds development is a joke – it has a much larger development team than Terraria ever had (T started with just 2, 1 for the technical stuff, the other was doing the visuals) and after, what, 2 years of development its still got less content than Terraria’s release version?

Plus, there’s the whole drama thing in their “community”, if thats what you can call a bunch of Japanese-cartoon-watching 12-year olds, their absolutely hilariously zealot moderators on the official forum (think Black Mesa with an extra helping of autism), horrible lack of progress and whatever else I dont even know about.

Starbound could have been great, but something went wrong along the way. Strange, since they all they had to do was make a carbon copy of Terraria and add the space gimmick.

Harlander says:

It does seem like when the Chucklefish people split off to do their own thing, they didn’t take anyone who really knew how to manage a software project with them.

Still, it’s moving on, and somewhat faster lately, so I can wait.

• wodin says:

I actually love the artwork..

9. bill says:

I still can’t get on with this game. EVERY TIME I start it I end up wrestling with the frustrating key bindings, trying to work out why nothing works in a logical way, struggling to do simple actions like place a workbench (rather than throw it), finally managing to build a house, then accidentally throwing my pickaxe out of the house before making a door and walling myself into an eternal tomb.

Horrible horrible interface and control scheme. Maybe next time I’ll try and see if i can rebind the “throw away” key.

• quakelife911 says:

If you have trouble with the keys that means one thing…… practice makes perfect….. play more… you will get used to the mechanics and play style of the game and the key bindings and keys

• Telkir says:

No snarkiness intended: Are you lefthanded? Did you try rebinding the keys to make them less awkward for you?

Some of the default keybinds are a bit silly. Notably, ESC for inventory. What were they thinking…

WASD for movement / Space for jump layout is fair enough if you’re right-handed, but I always rebind the inventory screen to E (to match where I’m used to having it in Minecraft) and grapple to Q (so it’s nice and close to the movement keys).

Qazinsky says:

I would personally recommend learning to use the mouse with your right hand, even as a leftie. That way you can always just sit down at any computer and use it, without moving things around/bringing out your left handed mouse. I am left handed myself and a right handed mouse poses no problem whatsoever if you learn to use a computer that way from the beginning.

I do of course always do key rebinds when I start a new game, but that is a gamer thing, not a lefthanded thing.

• perrypanic says:

Using auto-select (bound to shift) is really helpful for avoiding some of the fiddly bit of the UI. It automatically chooses the best tool for what you’re doing (for instance the torch when you’re underground, the pickaxe whenever the cursor is over a block, etc.). It makes it a bit harder to accidentally throw stuff away and means you don’t have to have to switch items every 5 seconds. You can pretty much just have your weapon equipped all the time unless you’re building stuff.

Sorry for the mini-lecture (especially if you already knew that). Even using auto-select it’s very fiddly but it definitely takes the edge off.

10. bonuswavepilot says:

“…developer Re-Logic is keeping a few surprises back from back the trailer and the patch notes…”

I think there might be an extra ‘back’ in there…

11. SlimShanks says:

Well, time for another go at Terraria I guess…
    Wheeeeee!
    I really do think that (vanilla) Minecraft is basically shite compared to Terraria. And it cost me twice as much!