Watch 7 Minutes Of Civilization: Beyond Earth’s Rising Tide

Let's agree to call the expansion CIVBERT.

A rising tide lifts all boats, it’s said, and there’s some hope that the watery Rising Tide expansion will lift all of Civilization: Beyond Earth‘s [official site] systems and not simply provide a new shimmering surface for the same old ideas. Find out whether that seems likely via a video demonstrating some of the oceanic mechanics below.

The video clicks through a slew of new systems from the game, including biomes that have specific benefits and disadvantages, new alien enemies, a new playable race in Al Falah, and artifacts that can be excavated to unlock new buildings, wonders and technologies. It’s only seven minutes of a game with campaigns that take hours, so it skims over the details even as it mentions exciting additions – for example, that diplomacy is meant to play a bigger role in the expansion than it did in the base game.

I’m hopeful. Beyond Earth seemed to disappoint everyone, in part because people hoped it would be Alpha Centauri’s glorious second coming and in part because it seemed to do little to alter the underlying Civilization formula despite its new sci-fi setting. But Civilization games traditionally get better with their expansions, and Rising Tide looks to, oh no, I’m going to say – push the boat out.

Just watch the video – and then read Alec’s interview with the designers for more.

1. Bernardo says:

I just read “…a new playable race in Al Fatah” and thought, this is going to get veeery awkward veeery quickly.

• nearly says:

Is there no 4X game that takes place inside a living creature’s body? Different regions/continents/planets are instead organs and body parts with different general advantages/disadvantages to things you’re building?

If someone makes it, they should pay me.

• gunny1993 says:

I demand this be a thing and I demand Hugh Laurie narrates it.

The pancreas started to grow a tumor that excreted insulin units, these units were used in a devastating strike on global glucose level creating a run on the Krebs leading to financial wasting in the eye region.

• Gap Gen says:

To some extent that’s what the Zerg feels like.

• Gap Gen says:

Throw it on the same pile as an African character describing how his home continent wasn’t pillaged by trade.

• ChiefOfBeef says:

Said it before, I’ll say it again: all of the leaders in BE come across as exactly the kind of people that messed up Earth in the first place.

2. raiders says:

The Alien AI was horrendous. That was my main reason I stopped playing it. Looking at the…*sigh*…seven minute video, it seems nothing changed. More fodder for the fire.

3. almostDead says:

It’s like this team makes dlc and updates completely independent of what any feedback about the game has been.

4. xyzzy frobozz says:

I surely cannot be the only one that reckons Civ has been crap for a while now.

For all the illusion of choice, there’s really only one way to play it…

5. Zenicetus says:

The new artifacts might be interesting, and at least we get some new barb… er, I mean alien skins to fight. I still think it should be more like $20 for what they’re showing here with the ocean expansion. It’s asking a lot to charge $31 for what they’re showing here, on top of a $50 base game. Does this look like a $71 game to anyone?

The “aliens” are just an environmental nuisance anyway. What it really needs is a revamp of the leaders, so they have more personality, and a reason to ally or fight with them. We don’t need another soulless leader added to the game. If there are any major improvements to diplomacy, they should be back-ported to the base game, where it should have been in the first place. Expensive expansions are for games that already work well.

6. hypocritelecteur says:

I’ll get to it right after I finish this youtube.

• Scobles says:

Disappointed it wasn’t dry by the end- is there another part?

• hypocritelecteur says:

Been looking all day. Haven’t gotten to the BE video yet.

BlueTemplar says:

So it’s called “Rising Tide”, but I’m guessing there won’t be terraforming mechanics in the game that allow you to flood land tiles?
    It’s a bit like the original game calling itself “Beyond Earth”, but not really going much farther beyond Civ5…

• Kabukiman74 says:

This and other features Alpha Centauri had from the start will surely be held backdeveloped for another expansions or DLCs. Good times…;)

• MacTheGeek says:

This was exactly my question. “Rising Tide” implies terraforming, climate change, and all sorts of interesting geological/climatological/atmospheric things that might change the map and influence gameplay. I don’t think it’s asking too much for a science-fiction-themed planet-settling game to have these options.

I’m glad to see that BE is getting updates. Several more expansions, and Firaxis might tempt me during a holiday sale.

8. Scobles says:

Couldn’t really get into this during it’s free weekend, don’t think it was different enough from Civ5. Was hoping that they’d skim over DLC for this and begin work on 6, but I guess that’s years away now…

• Apocalypse says:

In some ways BE is drastically different than Civ 5, but those ways are quite non obvious.
      link to youtube.com

And I still rather play endless space for it’s open tech free, because that game does not feel like a worse civ 5 ;-)

9. SaintAn says:

I like how the story is that humans ruined their own planet so they travel to other planets and wipe out the aliens living there so they can colonize.

10. Ancient Evil says:

People love to dump on this game, but Civ 5 was derided at first too. That didn’t stop Firaxis from patching and expanding it until it shined. Here’s hoping Beyond Earth follows a similar path and that Rising Tide takes the game a big step forward.

• Chris Cunningham says:

Civ 5 shipped unfinished, with glaring gameplay omissions that had been deliberately left to the expansions, with some remarkably silly bugs, and some significant balance issues (especially in endgame). But it was fundamentally an entertaining game with repeated replay value. There’s little comparison.

Furthermore, the implication is that Beyond Earth’s patches are going to do to it what G&K and BNW did for Civ 5. There’s very little indication of that here. “You can do more things with the water tiles” is not it, and yet that’s what took up the majority of the seven minutes of footage here. “The factions are samey and boring” and “the diplomacy is inadequate” got thirty seconds between them despite consensus being that they probably need a complete re-think.

• Shadow says:

Base CivBE was at least as entertaining and replayable as base Civ5. I can’t help but think people have simply forgotten just how unfinished Civ5 was and felt on release. Putting CivBE even below that is just nonsense. As if Civ5 diplomacy were particularly robust. As if Civ5 leaders were made good by the devs as opposed to simply history.

I think you’re just being deliberately negative and pessimistic.

As I’ve said in the past, Alpha Centauri’s stereotypical leaders had the advantage of being the first futuristic, made-up civ leaders. They were good, but not THAT good. And CivBE’s are fairly good: it’s just that the game doesn’t expose their lore (present in the Pedia) as well as perhaps SMAC did for its leaders.

Alpha Centauri in general had the significant advantage of being the pioneer. If the situation were reversed, conceptually, and CivBE came out first, I’m not so sure SMAC would be so well-regarded in the face of a perceived classic. “Why’s there no affinities? Why’s there only variants of xeno-spaghetti for alien types? Why are the leaders so generic and stereotypical? Why are the units so f*ing ugly?” Sure, it’s hard to reverse the scenario due to the Civs which were released inbetween, but it’s a good thought excercise.

11. Rindan says:

Awesome! I am pumped! I was disappointed with Civ:BE, but the developers clearly listened! What was definitely missing from Civ:BE was cities that you could place on water tiles. I am really glad they were listening! I certainly didn’t want affinities to mean something and really change your civilization, interesting and fascinating future technology, a decent narration, or anything that might involve giving the game a soul. No man, I wanted cities that go on fucking sea tiles.

I can to this day recall every single Alpha Centauri leader, faction, what they stood for, and recall what their cities looked like. I have feels about all of them. People still quote the leaders like they are real people. Can anyone say the same about Civ:BE? Hell, I have feels about various world wonders from Alpha Centauri. I literally can’t name a single world wonder from Civ:BE or even recall what a single one looks like; some gave +x or +y, that is about the extent of it.