LEGO Minifigures Online Release, Ditches F2P Model

LITTLE PLASTIC PEOPLE.

LEGO Worlds is looking like it’ll become the brick ’em up folks have been asking for since 1873, with the grand vision of letting folks slap down plastic bricks with their pals and play silly beggars to their hearts’ content. LEGO Minifigures Online [official site] is, well, one of the games that made the long wait for LEGO Worlds so frustrating.

Made by Funcom, LEGO Minifigures Online is an MMO action-RPG where different LEGOMEN are different classes, romping through LEGO settings. After a year in open beta as free-to-play, yesterday it officially launched as regular old pay-to-play offering everything for one price.

LEGO Minifigures Online is very much a game aimed at children, with fairly simplistic combat and whatnot, and without the building folks would want from a ‘real’ LEGO game or the humour and fun that’s carried the LEGO licensed games by Traveller’s Tales. I didn’t find it bad, just… not for me. I’m not really sure who it’s for. I do like how silly some of the characters are, though – they’re based on those collections of limited edition LEGOFOLK you sometimes find in foil packets at checkouts.

Funcom say that since the beta they’ve added “New features and content, such as unique events, cinematics, voice acting, and a fun and engaging story are included, as well as numerous gameplay additions and major improvements throughout the entire game.” And it’s no longer F2P.

Characters that were once unlocked with microtransactions are now unlocked by playing. Anyone who had bought anything during the F2P beta will receive the full game for free.

Anyway, if it’s for you, LEGO Minifigures Online is available for Windows and Mac for £24.99/$29.99 or on Steam. Neatly, it supports cross-platform play with iOS and Android.

1. Heliocentric says:

They just took me from “No never” to “see you in the sales”.

I’m not going to F2P my kids, I like them too much to subject them to that.

I’m glad the people behind LEGO don’t really hate children.

• frightlever says:

When you release a F2P game you’re probably planning all the little things you can put up for sale in the future. The future, being something this game doesn’t have.

• P.Funk says:

Yea, its not like there haven’t been alternate models for financing the ongoing development of software.

Someone should invent expansion packs and DLC.

• Heliocentric says:

Does their really need to be a hosepipe of content in every game? Oh, I’m assuming it’ll work offline with it being non F2P.

2. foilman says:

My five year old son had been enjoying this game over the past few months, after we bought a mini-figure and got a code to activate that figure in the game. Pocket money has often gone on new figures, and he even had a couple for his birthday. I reckon we’ve probably spent nearly £25 on the mini-figures!

Unfortunately this doesn’t translate into a free copy of the game, as none of the money was spent in-game.

And I’m not spending another £25 just so can he continue on from where he was on a game that I can’t guarantee will be around for long enough for him to complete. He was a little upset, as you can imagine, but is now enjoying Lego Star Wars in his weekly gaming hour instead. :)

• jonfitt says:

Oh that sucks. We’re not quite in the same position because my kids didn’t get that into it, but we did load a few codes into the game form meatspace mini-figs.
      Quite sad to see that they’ll just lock us out of the game and try to charge $30 to get back in.

They much prefer the Traveller’s Tales lego games anyway. So we’ll probably just stick to them.

3. Orix says:

But the article said: “Anyone who had bought anything during the F2P beta will receive the full game for free.”

So… your son gets the game for free.

• Orix says:

Actually, I wonder if I’ll get the game for free. Did sign up to beta but never bothered to play. Hmmm.

• Jannn says:

If you didn’t play, you probably didn’t buy anything and won’t get the entire game for free, alas.

• TWChristine says:

Nup. You’ll probably just get an email like I did thanking you for playing, and offering a code for a “rockstar” character.

4. Neurotic says:

I was in the closed beta, then OB, and it changed quite a lot in that time, then again when it released. It’s an excellent game, the kids loved it, and they loved the fact that if they bought a real Minifig, they could add it into the game too. But LEGO Worlds is blowing us away now, so I doubt we’ll be paying for this now it’s B2P.