Stock Car Extreme Devs Reiza Crowdfunding Updates

CARS!

Lately whenever I post about broom-broom games, one commenter or another pops up to remark that I should post about goings-on with Reiza, the folks behind Stock Car Extreme [official site] and Formula Truck 2013 [official site]. My usual response to people making demands is to throw my drink in their face then shake them upside-down until sufficient coinage for a new bevvy falls out their pockets/guts/wherever it is money lives, but this primitive Internet prohibits polite retribution.

So fine, I’ll say it: after years of free post-release updates for their racing sims, Reiza have launched a crowdfunding campaign to keep those rolling for another year and a half.

Reiza have taken to Indiegogo seeking $78,000 (£50k) to fund another year and a half of making free updates for their current games while they get working on their next one. They talk about better graphics and sound, a new UI, tire damage and other physics improvements, long-distance races, official multiplayer servers, loads of new types of car and places to drive them, and more.

They’re using Indiegogo’s flexible funding option, so they still get money if the full amount is not pledged, but will scale their plans accordingly. What do you get out of it? Well, more free updates for all players, and backer rewards such as copies of their games or that upcoming next game.

P.Funk, Prolar Bear, and luis.s, you each owe me both a drink and the pleasure of throwing another drink in your face.

1. Prolar Bear says:

Wow, neat. Thanks Alice! \o/

…do I at least get to choose the drink thrown in my own face?

• Mr Bismarck says:

No you don’t get to chose. This is Reiza, so it has to be Cachaça and it has to be hurled at you as Alice boats sideways around Cascavel in an Opala stock.

2. Faldrath says:

If you’re unfamiliar with this title (which is pretty much the hidden gem of racing simulators), I’d recommend watching this video. It’s a few months old, but it still reflects the game fairly accurately, and it’s missing only some free dlc that has been released since then (there is no paid DLC for Stock Car Extreme, only free updates that come with each major patch):

3. Mr Bismarck says:

Also, everyone should get this game just to try the Formula Vee, which is probably my favourite car in any race sim available.

Making an open wheel, open cockpit formula racing series based on the 1963 Volkswagen Beetle is a brilliantly stupid idea. The only way it could be improved is if the game shipped with a USB device that gave off a slowly increasing smell of burning oil.

4. P.Funk says:

Thanks Alice, you’re the best. :D

5. salgado18 says:

Alice, just so you know:

I’m a brazilian developer for the last seven years and a racing car fan, and thanks to you I just discovered a brazilian racing game that I never heard of, and it looks fantastic. They may have been a bit annoying, but you did some good today, thanks! (Also, it’s not your fault that they have been hiding from their public all this time ;)

Grizzly says:

Aditionally, “Copa Petrobas de Marcas” is a free version of their game offering the braziliian touring car championships and some tracks, and functions neatly as a demo. A bit like what trackmania Nations was for the Trackmania games.

Also, yeah! It’s one of those games that RPS usually adores. A fully moddable indy game build by a team of former modders offering very unusual subjects (it’s *very* brazilian) and doubling or even tripling the amount of content for absolutely no charge. Things don’t get more ‘PC gaming culture’ then that.

Grizzly says:

Or rather, “PC gaming culture like we tell it to our friends to justify our leisure time”, but still! If you happen to have a revetalized interest in racing games because of say, Dirt Rally, then this game is most certainly worth a look.

7. luis.s says:

I’m happy to have a drink thrown in my face over this, but if anyone deserves some drink-to-face (and credit) for this being posted on the front page it’s Faldrath.