Factory-Fresh Smell: Infinifactory Out Of Early Access

Infinifactory [official site] is another thing-making puzzler from SpaceChem chap Zachary Barth, this time going into 3D to set up production lines manufacturing goods for cruel alien overlords. It initially launched incomplete on Steam Early Access in January, though even at the time John was really into it.

Maybe you’d rather wait until it was fully finished before playing yourself. In which case, good news: after five months of updates adding so, so much more, Infinifactory has launched out of Early Access to become a proper released game.

Infinifactory puts you in charge of designing production lines so that raw materials put in come out as the product you’re ordered to make. You put together blocks which affect your WIP materials in some way, moving them, stamping, painting, rotating, milling, and so on. You can – and will need to – build pretty intricate production lines. You also get to compare your efficiency to your friends, pushing you to improve.

Its five months on Early Access brought new mini-campaigns, new block types, a more advanced level editor, and plenty more.

Infinifactory is out for Windows, Mac, and Linux. Right now it’s £17.09 on Steam or £14.99 on Humble Store, who simply bung you a Steam key anyway.

If you don’t mind Early Access games, mind, Zachtronics put out TIS-100 last month too. It’s a puzzler that’ll have you writing assembly code to fix a weird old computer.

1. Tacroy says:

I’m starting to realize that I don’t really “get” Zachtronics games – the games themselves are amazing, I played Spacechem and Infinifactory to death, I loved Kohctpyktop and The Bureau of Steam Engineering (actually I really hope he turns the latter into a real game someday) – but all of these games have a vaguely sinister undertone that just never seems to go anywhere. I don’t get it.

Didn’t keep me from buying TIS-100 the second I realized it was for sale ofc.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

I think a feeling of sinister unease is not wrong to feel facing a subject such as mass auto-construction of weaponry. But I have always felt that many games absurdly underplay that very point; they treat industrialisation or colonisation as implicit goods without any questions asked.

I enjoy Infinifactory, but its themes are disquieting; and I am happy the game shares that sentiment.

2. mukuste says:

Spacechem was really nice up to a point, but then I more and more got the feeling, “ok, I can see what I’m supposed to do here, but actually implementing this will take me at least half an hour of fiddling around.” It just started to feel like a second job. Or was I just too dumb to find the simple and elegant solution?

And, to keep this comment relevant, is that the same for this newer game?

• ghor says:

Sort of, but unlike Spacechem there’s plenty of open space for you to build in, so in that sense it’s a lot less fiddly.

• meepmeep says:

I agree – the fiddliness of SpaceChem put me off getting very far in, but I’ve been playing Infinifactory for the past couple of hours and I love the interface, and how quickly you can create/amend your solutions.

• Crafter says:

I had this feeling after a couple of Infinifactory levels. YMMV.

• jrod says:

I absolutely love this guy’s games! I totally get sucked into the “optimize this solution just… a… little… more” loop. I am a developer though, so maybe I am a bit biased and predisposed to this sort of puzzle.

3. edwardoka says:

I love everything this guy makes.

It is a rare type of puzzle game where the player can accept that there’s a difficulty barrier beyond which they cannot progress – as in “I am literally not intelligent enough to come up with a solution to this” while not blaming the developer for non-obvious or obtuse puzzle/level design.

I have a strong suspicion that the later levels of this are going to involve conveyor belts on top of conveyor belts and I imagine that at that point I will be forced to give up.

4. bonuswavepilot says:

I’m another Zachtronics insta-buyer. Down to the last two levels in TIS-100 (not counting the secret level, since there isn’t one, obviously), and I have broken the back of one of them, just got to get in there and hack it into shape, then onto the final level where all the terrible secrets of the back-story will no doubt be revealed! (From a cursory glance, I think the last level is actually going to be easier than the one I’ve nearly finished off).
    About 2/3 of the way through Spacechem, and not started Infinifactory yet, but it awaits me…