Adventure Ho! King’s Quest Episode 1 Priced And Dated

Adventure time!

The new King’s Quest [official site] is the first real test for the glove puppet Activision have made from the flayed hide of Sierra. Will its revival of Ye Olde Sierra adventure game series fill you with warmth and love and joy and nostalgia and make you embrace and kiss the glove, murmuring “I’ve missed you, I’ve missed you so much” as tears runs down your cheeks, or will you slap the leathery paw away and screw your eyes tight repeating “It’s only a dream, it’s only a dream”?

The first episode, A Knight to Remember, will launch on July 28th, Sierra have announced.

Made the The Odd Gentlemen rather than any of the original developers, the new King’s Quest sees an old King Graham telling tales of his adventures to his young granddaughter Gwendolyn. They’ll span his whole life, kicking off with him tackling a dragon. Typical knightly sort of a quest, that one. As with Telltale’s modern adventure games, decisions will have consequences.

The episode will cost £7.99 by itself, or a season pass including all five episodes plus “a future bonus playable story epilogue” will run you £31.99. They’ll all trickle out across this year and 2016.

[I’ll be honest: I’ve used most of my good “renanimated corpse” and “howling puppet” and “meat spectre” lines on stories about the beast wearing the skin of Atari.]

1. BobbyDylan says:

where’s Space Quest?

• FieldyGB says:

oh lordy do we really want this? I loved the originals..

• TillEulenspiegel says:

You really want a Space Quest platformer? That sounds fairly dull.

• KayAU says:

Here it is:
      Guys from Andromeda

It’s called SpaceVenture now, but it’s pretty much the same sort of thing, and by the original developers. They had a successful Kickstarter some time ago, and I think they are aiming for a 2015 release.

Kay

2. CaspianRoach says:

Aaaaand it’s 2600 rub. Thanks, I’d rather buy Witcher 3 twice instead.

3. rustybroomhandle says:

Can’t really speak for its quality since I have not played it, but this is the most un-King’s-Quest-looking game ever.

4. Stone_Crow says:

So I assume every time they can’t work out how to end a game you get sucked through a portal to the Activision Office now

5. Pizzacheeks McFroogleburgher says:

You must immediately do a Google image search for ‘a Knight to remember’.

6. phlebas says:

The season pass is being sold (on Steam at least) as “King’s Quest: The Complete Collection”, which might be considered a bit misleading.

• kalirion says:

Very.

They should’ve called it King’s Quest Chapters, King’s Quest Adventures, or King’s Quest: The Pre-Sequel Collection.

7. king0zymandias says:

It’s like this game gets uglier every time I see it. The color palette is all over the place, the textures are too noisy, as if slapped together haphazardly. The art direction is horrible. None of the environmental assets have any sculpting done to them, a rock is like a ten sided polygon with some crappy and busy looking texture slapped on to it. And on top of that what is the point of drawing a line along every little crevice of someone’s face? That’s not how 2D animation looks. This looks downright ugly. It’s going to age really really bad, hell, it already looks a game from 10 years ago.

• Jackablade says:

Yeah. It’s unfortunate – there are a lot of art assets that look decent on their own, they just don’t fit together particularly well. It looks rather like someone had a jigsaw puzzle but just mashed the pieces together until they sort of fit.

That said, for 8 bucks, I might be curious enough to give it a try. Even if it’s a bit janky, it’s the sort of venture I don’t mind supporting.

Andy_Panthro says:

I would consider myself a big Sierra fan (currently blogging my way through Space Quest 1 VGA, in fact), so I’m kind of in two minds about this. I’m okay with remakes, but if this is just going to make a completely different game but with some King’s Quest references slapped all over it, then I’ll be very disappointed.

That said, there are games from the creators of Space Quest and the creators of Quest for Glory coming in the next year, so I’m sure that’ll be more than enough for me and I can ignore this unless it turns out to be good.

9. Unknown says:

I’ve played KQ 5, 6, 7 and 8. Number 6 is the only one I would call a legitimately great game, though 5 and 7 have their moments. Number 8 is just wretched.

The best things about the KQ series are the artwork (the whole Underworld sequence in KQ6, holy cow) and the memorable characters (again, mostly in #6 which is chock full of wonderful characters). I’m already not sold on the artwork in this game, it just looks weird and wrong, and I guess we’ll have to see about the characters but I’m not really optimistic.